Thread: second time round and episotomy

Default second time round and episotomy

Just wondering what peoples experiences are if they had an episiotomy with one birth as far as tearing/repeat epis in subsequent births. I am planning on doing massage and would really like to avoid an epis this time but wondering if scar tissue is going to make that difficult. I am fairly sure I didn't really need the episo the first time round as I had no burning sens and it hurt like %^#* when the dr cut, I've been told that means the perinum wasn't fully stretched???? Any opinions, experience? Thanks

I asked the midwife about this about 6w ago, and she gave me a handout on perinium massage. She is more than confident that will do it for me

I'll quickly type out some of it for you:

"Massaging the perineal area during the last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy will help increase the elasticity of the tissues in this area and accustom you to the stretching sensations of the second stage as the baby's head emerges. Perineal massage will not neccessarily prevent a tear or the need for episiotomy, but it will help to increase the stretchiness and desensitise the area to pressure and stretching.
    Begin by lying back and using a mirror to locate the vagina, and the perinium, between the vaginal opening and the anus. Using a vegetable oil on your thumbs, insert 3-4cms inside the vagina and press the perineum towards the rectum and the sides.
    Gently stretch the opening until you feel a slight burning or tingling. Maintain pressure for 2mins until the aread becomes a little numb. The slowly massage in the oil, maintaining the stretch and the pressure.
    Massage 3-4 minutes concentrating on any previous episiotomy scars which will be especially inelastic.
    The massage can also be done with a sweeping motion from side to side, with the fingers either moving together in one direction or in opposite directions according to your preference."

I hope that helps
    Fi

Ah, I was wondering how long we were to do it for....I usually massage for 10 minutes after the 2 min initial stretch.....is this overkill for me then?
    I have found KY jelly a lot 'nicer' than the olive oil I first used....and as it's water based it is apparantly just as good for you.....but that has just been my experience.
    I've been massaging for about two weeks and have noticed it feels softer inside and the 2 minutes of initial stretching doesn't really hurt anymore....so that's got to be good!

Thanks, it's good to know your midwife thinks it's possible.

Hm, just realised I haven't ever given birth let alone had an episiotomy so my reply is quite worthless! Sorry!

Of course every reply is worth something. I was actually reading your other post before about Evening Primrose Oil, I didn't even know about that.