Thread: Shaking during labour

skyelar Guest

Default Shaking during labour

Hi all just after a bit of advice please!!

When in labour with my DD (gel induction) once I hit 5cms I started to tremble all over. I remember getting out of the bath & shaking so badly I couldn't stand properly. It really felt like I was in shock, I needed to go to the toilet & vomit, I was very pale & felt terrible. :eek: This really scared me & I just laid on the bed closed my eyes & sucked the gas for the next 4 or so hours.

This time around I really want to be more alert/active....what can I do when this shaking starts (if it does for this delivery as well)????

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

This can be happen in transition and / or from anxiety / stress. Alan offered a good tip in one of the birth articles, I will have to try and find it! I think it was breathing and counting backwards from 30 in threes? Will suss it out.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

skyelar Guest

Thanks Kelly, I remember reading something about counting back by 3's...would love to check out the article, thanks!

Hi Skyelar

Kelly is right. The shaking is common and caused by anxiety / stress. It is also caused by adrenaline, which is a drug that your body releases when you are excited or scared.
    There are a few tricks that you can use to help prevent / reduce the shaking.

Count backwards from 30 in threes

Look at the covers on the bed, or the curtains or anything else in the room that has patterns on it and try to make faces out of the patterns.

Think of a family member / boyfriend and try to remember every Christmas / birthday present that they have given you. Start with last year and see how far back you can go.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cool I will see if I can find it - also you might like to consider a doula who can reassure you and suggest things to help keep you focused and not frightened or anxious
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I got the shakes in that break between transition and pushing. Didn't last too long.. coz then I had to push! heh. But I said to the midwife I think I'm in shock! She said "you probably are.. but it's ok". Fat lot of good that was! LOL. I think it was nerves, coz it was like.. ok.. this is real now... I'm about to push my baby out!

Hope you can get through without the shakes this time! Maybe now that you kinda know what to expect, it might not happen?

That happened to me, I thought it was normal as at the time I felt reasonably in control (as could be expected anyway!). To me it wasn't serious to I just let my body do what it wanted to do. I love some of Alan's ideas and will defenietly be trying them!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I had the trembling really badly after I had given birth so much so that I was unable to hold DS for about 30mins, but I was actually sick when going through transition as well, so if it happens again for me I will have to remember Alan's tips!

skyelar Guest

Thanks everyone!!

LMHO Alan I will use your tips for sure, love the boyfriend present one!