Thread: Sickness and Labour

Default Sickness and Labour

Hi there beautiful people
    Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any management issues if you're sick when you go into Labour?

I'm not terribly unwell, just a headcold i think, but wondering if anyone knows if I'll be allowed to be with bubba if I'm still sick when he comes? Or does the body hold off until you're in a healthier state before prepping for birth?

I was in the midst of one of the worst cases of 'flu I've ever had when I was induced with DD1... my whole family was sick, DH could barely walk or keep his eyes open, it was awful! I managed pretty well though, and yes, baby was allowed to be with me every minute despite my being so ill, and family members were with us in hospital constantly so it was just a matter of washing our hands very frequently and trying not to cough or sneeze all over DD1 while cuddling her
    I hope your headcold goes away really soon, it's no fun at all feeling so blah when you're trying to get excited about having a baby so soon! Good luck to you, I reckon you'll do fine Once you go into labour, you don't even remember that you're unwell, your body just takes over and does what it's gotta do to focus on bringing your precious little one safely into your arms!
    x

I'd ask your care givers now and make your wishes really clear. A friend of mine had the flu when she had her DD and her DD had to go to the SCN while she got better. I was suprised when she told me this, but apparently the hospital was worried about her passing it on to her...

I've been well with both my labours, so I can't say what happens then, but my experience with being ill at other times is that my body only seems to focus on one thing at a time Recently I seemed to have a few days' break from the all-day-nausea which is morning sickness because I had a nasty cold (I'm not sure which was better, mind you!) I reckon your body would focus on the labour, and you would probably 'forget' about the cold for the few hours while in labour and birth. Mind you, it would probably return with a vengeance afterwards if my experiences are anything to go by!! Hope you're feeling heaps better soon and don't go into labour quite yet...

Default Sickness and Labour

I was like glamourcide had a shocking cold but once labour kicked in all my energy was focused on getting dd out so I didn't notice.