Thread: Spontaneous first labour, induced second?

Default Spontaneous first labour, induced second?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of having to be induced for a second labor, if the first was spontaneous?

I'm now officially overdue and don't feel like bubs is ready to go anywhere... yet DD was born at 39+5wks after labour started spontaneously at 39+3.

What are the chances that I'll need to be induced for this bubs? Just curious if anyone has had to be induced for a second labour after their first was natural...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You're only post dates, not overdue

Ask your Ob / midwife what position the bub is in. If posterior, it could be a reason, and you can have acupuncture, optimal fetal positioning etc to help move bub.

The bub may just be doing its own thing in its own time, and perfectly fine. Its more common for first to be induced than second. But the factual basis for that would be due to pressure of medically based EDDs (guess dates) I assume.

Naturally Inducing Labour - Natural Induction Methods
    Induction of Labour - To Induce or Not Induce?
    The Lie of the EDD: Why Your Due Date Isn't when You Think - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks for the reply Kelly!

Bubs is cephalic and fixed, 3/5th engaged. Has been head down bum up for about 8wks, just started engaging about two weeks ago. MWs pleasantly surprised he was fixed/engaging as apparently lots of second bubs don't engage til labour starts.

He's not posterior and I've had four induction acupuncture sessions since I was 39wks. My last was Wednesday and I'm booked in again on Monday. Have also loaded up on the RLT, some chinese herbs from the acupuncturist, have tried hand expressing and DH is getting more action than he has in a long time!

I do not want to induce at all. My concern is if I reach 42wks I won't have a choice... unless I ignore the policy of the family birth centre...

Are you drinking RLT? The day before I went into spontaneous labour with my DD, I had two MASSIVE mugs of RLT (as strong as I could) and I also scrubbed the laundry floor. I felt a few cramps at around 6am and my waters broke at home at 7.20am. I was 38+5. I'll be trying the same thing with our next baby

Ah, you're only just post dates, so still plenty of time yet.
    Have you tried bouncing and jumping?

Taurean - yep, up to four cups of RLT a day!! Yesterday I was down on hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor Sadly nothing though...

Marcellus - I know, only just past, but I assumed he'd be here by now, based on everyone telling me "Oooh second babies always come earlier!" Clearly they don't always!!

I've been up and down some flights of stairs... not bouncing and jumping as such.... I was contemplating getting out the Wii fit step program tonight and giving that a bash. Don't have a fit ball unfortunately... maybe I'll grab one at the birth centre today and bounce on it while I'm waiting for my appointment...

I've just had my 5th session of acupuncture and I'm currently brewing up some nasty smelling herbs... which I apparently have to drink... mmm, tasty...

I guess I was hoping someone could say "Yes it is most likely you will at some point go into labour naturally, based on the fact that it happened naturally the first time". Feel a bit like my body is letting me down as it did everything right the first time and now it seems like nothing is happening...

Maybe this little one just needs to cook a bit longer. You know your body can and will do this - just hold on.
    I really hope the second time sooner thing is right for me - I was induced at 42 weeks last time.

Oh, and statistically, boys have longer gestations than girls.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    Oh, and statistically, boys have longer gestations than girls.
    I didn't know that! Thanks, appreciate your response

Sif second babies come earlier. I've now got 37+1, 41 and 40+4 under my belt. I was under a LOT of stress in my first pregnancy though. Different father, different circumstances, whole other life really.

They can't drag you away from your house to induce you, if you've got a scheduled induction at 42 weeks, you can always choose to cancel the appointment or just not go.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpledElf View Post
    ...They can't drag you away from your house to induce you, if you've got a scheduled induction at 42 weeks, you can always choose to cancel the appointment or just not go.
    You are quoting me, just about verbatim!!!!!!

I know this and I almost had a heart attack when my SIL mentioned that her Obs might induce her at 38wks, when I asked why she said "No real reason, he just seems the kind of Dr who likes to keep things orderly and to plan" Almost fell off my chair!

But the 42wks thing is as much for your and baby's protection as the hospital, right? Things can degrade after 42wks - fluid, placenta, etc?

Anyway here's hoping it doesn't reach that point

Oh hun hug: I cant offer you advice about second pregnancies but as someone whose DD kept them waiting until 13 days post dates with an induction looming in 1 day time, I am feeling for you

They wanted to induce at 10days, but I would have none of that (as tempting as it is to meet that little one). I am glad I got that extra 4 days as it gave DD time to come on her own.

I tried everything to get her to come, EPO, DTD, walking, baths, showers, bouncing on a fitball, RLT, etc (you get the point) but she came when she wanted. I honestly do think though that she came once I resigned myself to the fact that whatever will be, will be! You can go past 42weeks but will need to be monitored and have some scans done to see what condition the placenta is in.

Even though DD came at 40wks+13days she still had some (not alot) vernix?? on her and the placenta was still fine.

Sending lots of labour vibes to you. Come on out little one!

There's some research to suggest things get riskier after 42 weeks, but there's also some that suggests otherwise.
    DS was born at 42 weeks completely fine. My placenta and fluid levels were also great, so there was no real hurry.

Bugger. All the tricks I had in mind have already been mentioned in here. The Wii sounds like a brilliant idea though!! Good luck hon, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. I was well and truly over it a good six weeks before my due date, LOL!

Thanks ladies, I'm expecting more monitoring once I get to 41wks, so I can just keep that all stays ok with placenta and fluid, in which case I am happy to let bubs choose his own birthday!