Thread: Strange reasoning....

Default Strange reasoning....

A friend of mine is in labour as we speak, first bub. She was trying for a waterbirth, and was labouring REALLY well in the bath, feeling good and in control. Then they discover that bubs is breech, so she is on her way for a caesarean because she's never birthed before.

'If this was your second or third baby we'd let you try, but because its your first we won't risk it.'

That just doesn't make sense to me - even if this was her second baby, she still wouldn't have birthed a breech baby!

I hope she's still feeling in control and confident in herself, I hope she can still feel proud of her birthing experience *shakes fist at hospital*

Hugs for your friend, it does sound like crazy logic. Hope it all goes well for her in the end.

It's called an 'untried pelvis'.
    You know, we assume all women are flawed and incapable of birthing unless they can somehow manage to prove otherwise.
    for your friend. She was probably doing beautifully and most likely would have been fine. Poos.

Shame. Unfortunately not many OBs are experienced with vaginal breech. I was lucky the attending consultants on whilst we were in hospital were comfortable attending breech, otherwise I would have had to have c/s too.

There are some breech positions where it's not safe, but otherwise she could have been given a go. It's still better to have a healthy live baby though.

The reasoning is that with the first baby, the pelvis hasn't opened as much, so they may be concerned bub won't be able to get out without difficulty (the bum is softer than the head). For a second or third, there's more room, so in theory bub could slip out more easily. So if they're using that reasoning, it would suggest to me the attendants had enough experience that they could have let her have a breech birth. Pity she didn't get the chance.

I hope it all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    You know, we assume all women are flawed and incapable of birthing unless they can somehow manage to prove otherwise.
    You're so right

I don't know the full story, the breech may have been one that is dangerous for vaginal birth. I just know how much work she's done and how much research she and her hubby have done to prepare for this day, and it's really cut me to the heart that she's not being given a chance.

That's true, it does depend on the exact positioning. And of course you want your practitioner to be experienced in different birthing situations - it's a damn shame so few are these days.
    I've been told it's near on impossible for a first-time mother to have a vaginal breach birth in Perth.

My mum was a MW at Manly NSW and she said that they didnt even need to call the OB in when there was a breech or Twin birth as it was still seen as normal until proven otherwise! So sad that those skills have been lost!

So sorry for your friend and the battles she now faces for future NVB!

Massive for your friend, i am hoping she is ok with how things have progressed.
    Had i been in hospital i would have been given no choice but a c/s no hospital around here will even attempt it.

BUT it CAN be done, i am proof of that but i can totally understand the Dr's not wanting to risk it, after it was all said and done and they told me the risks involved i can honestly tell you i felt so blessed to have Ava here safe.

Am hoping your friend is ok with it all!