View Poll Results: Were you tested for GBS?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, my Ob / midwife didn't do it.

13 30.95%
  • Yes I was positive

10 23.81%
  • Yes I was negative

19 45.24%

Thread: Strep B (GBS)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Strep B (GBS)

Hey all!

I just thought I would start a discussion on GBS or group B strep which is a bacteria found in the vagina. Your Ob may or may not test you for this, as some feel that you could still end up positive later than the usual 36 weeks, and will give you antibiotics if you are high risk. However if you were tested, what result did you get? I am running this poll to see how many people experience this for others to get an idea, and poll results are anonymous so please feel free to vote, and if you would like to comment that would be great.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I was tested and it came back negative - it was fairly non-invasive, when I went into the delivery suite they just gave me a long cotton tip in a test tube like thingy and asked me to insert it into my vagina next time I went to the loo and then give it back to them.

I'll be tested next Monday by my OB (will be 37 weeks). No idea if they do it again at the hospital. My understanding is that Strep B comes and goes, so really my results next week don't really mean much, as it could come or go after that!

I was about 37wks, when I was handed a LONG cotton bud type thingy & a tube to put it back in, was told to insert it & place in tube which I did & was told at next appt all was fine...
    Didnt really know what I was doing though or what it was for...? :-k

chelleg Guest

GBS is a normal flora that lives in the vagina's of many women, however there is evidence that the transmission of GBS to babies during birth can make them very sick. It is for this reason women are screened at around the 36, 37 week mark and if they're GBS positive we give IVAB's during labour and will monitor the baby's temp & respirations for 24 hours after birth. There is some controversy re: GBS screening as, like Ivana_baby said, GBS is transient and 'comes and goes' so where you might be positive at 36 weeks, you could be negative at 39 weeks.

kirsty Guest

I was tested in hospital with my first bubs, mainly I think because my waters had broken at 31wks so they were trying to get as much info as possible in regards to infections. Just so that they were aware of what was around when bubs was born, I tested positive but was told it wasn't anything bad as lots of women have it & don't even know it. They told me what would happen if I went into labour, that I would have a drip with antibiotics in it & bubs would be given antibiotics as well after s/he was born. As it turned out bubs wasn't affected as he was born by emergency c-section a week later at 32wks.

Yep my test was negative. I'm anticipating they will do the test again closer to delivery just to make sure.

I was tested, & the day before I was to get the result I went inti labour, so I didnt find out until after the birth (I was negative)

I wasnt tested, asked OB whether I should have been getting it done when I went to my 36wk appointment.

Turns out they didnt test for Strep B at all because of the financial issues for the hospital.

They don't routinely test for Strep B over here (Denmark). I asked for it but was told it wasn't done.

Same as with RH- (which I am and baby is too) - they don't administer Anti D until they consider it necessary (after the birth with a positive baby).

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yup I was tested and it was negative.

I wasn't tested with Nicholas nor was I with this pregnancy either.

mizzsocial Guest

I tested positive with my last pregnancy (they did the swab when i was 28 weeks)

In labor i had 2 lots of antibodics, which wasnt a big deal at all..

I will also be tested again for this pregnancy in 3 weeks..

I cant belive that some woman arent tested!! I thought it was essencial!

I was tested for this around 32 weeks and then again at 37 weeks.. I was tested at 36 weeks as i had some vaginal discharge that was a little unusual for my liking! All was ok, OB tests for this for all clients

I wasn't tested. I asked the midwife as a lot of the girls in my belly buddies group were getting tested and she said it depended on the OB who was in charge at the hospital at the time. Some OBs do it, some don't believe it's necessary. She said that they just keep an eye on the bubs after birth for any signs of the infection and treat it then.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

*bump*
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.