Thread: Stretch and Sweep

Default Stretch and Sweep

I was wondering, those of you who have had a stretch and sweep done by your OB. midwife etc... how long did it take before you went into labour?? A few hours, days etc...??

I saw my OB today and he did an internal and although he never said he was doing a S&S it defintiley felt like one being done.

TIA.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If he did do one Kazz I would not be impressed with him, he needs your knowledge and permission to do that. S&S is quite effective with overdue mums, often within 24 hours it happens if it is going to. You may notice some bleeding from it but I hope all goes well! Labour vibes!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks for that Kelly. I really don't if he did do one but whatever he did do hurt, it felt like he was pulling from side to side then right in to check my cervix. I am overdue by a week and a bit so maybe it was or maybe it was just an internal?! All he said was he was going to do an internal. He did say I may notice some bleeding but not to be alarmed. In some ways I hope it was and I do go into labour in the next 24 hours. [-o< Thanks for the labour vibes too.

skyelar Guest

Hi Kaz,

I had one done on a Monday & was 3cm dialated.

Went home & for the next few days had brown discharge (sorry if TMI).

Was told I 'should' go into labour within a few days.

I didn't & was induced on the Thursday due to pre eclampsia/dangerous B/P.

Good luck I will send you lots of LV's!!

Kazz, I second star dragon, HURRY UP already .........

Hope it's reall soon for you hun, and I'll be there with you in spirit angel ok
    sending you a million hugs and fairy kisses xxxxxxxxxx

jojozep Guest

Hi Kazz,
    I went for my OB appt on Wednesday, and Im sure he did a S&S as well - it was painful and very uncomfortable. About 2 hours afterwards I started having bad back pain and really strong BH's - they went right through Wednesday night, then when I woke up yesterday I had no pain and felt the best I've felt in weeks! Late yesterday afternoon I had a show and I've been having more bloody mucus (sorry for TMI) ever since. Im due to be induced Monday, so lets hope this is the start of something.........

Thanks everyone for your advice and labour vibes. Still haven't had any show or anything so maybe it wasn't a S&S?! :smt102

Jojozep, thats fantastic you have had your show. I hope it isn't long now until you have bubs in your arms. Good luck.

*I must admit I am envious I wish I would get my show so I know labour is on its way* 8-[

:-k Kazz,
    I will be thinking, hoping, wishing & praying that Declan will come out!!!

It is kinda bizarre that from day 1 we want them to stick so bloody much, then we spend the next 8-9 months worried they're gonna fall out without our consent , but from then on we get annoyed at them for staying put & wish them out with everything we have!!!!

Life sure is a curve ball hey!!!

Best of luck gorgeous, it wont be too much longer!!!!

P.S. Good Luck jojozep!!!!!

Tracey, that is all so true.

Kazz, I had one done (without asking or being informaed) at about 9pm on the Friday night, ahd a bit of a show on Saturday afternoon.

I can't help much more though, cos I was then induced on the Sunday morning, and Milo was born on the Monday.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kazz, it'as possible you didn't have a stretch and sweep, but if it was ouchy then it probably means your cervix was soft - so that's all good!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi everyone,
    I had an s&s after arriving at the labour ward with m 6th baby because my light contractions slowed right down. The MW weren't keen on letting me go home because apparently with your 6th things are supposed to go very smoothly and quickly ( yeah right). I walked my partner down to the car so he could get some rest and started getting whopper contractions right away _ definitely within 1/2 an hour of the S&S. Good Luck!!