Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretch & Sweep

Default Stretch & Sweep

So... I didn't think I'd make it here so didn't think I would be making this decision...

The OB last week offered a stretch & sweep today of my cervix if things hadn't moved too much in the last week. In the last week I've been having all sorts of early labour symptoms which go for a few hours and then settle. I've had more than uncomfortable tightenings the last 2 nights but they have never progressed to anything more exciting. Although they have been pretty exciting while around . Soooo.... I'm debating this morning whether to have a stretch & sweep done. My first initial response is "no". I mentally don't want anything, but last night I just wanted something to help push these practice labour things into the real thing.

I've been walking in the arvos up hills, cleaning like mad, eating curries, DTD, having acupuncture and all sorts of things to encourage this baby to come if she's ready. Every night when things look like they aren't going any further I take a panadol & hop in the shower & then go to bed because that usually helps settle them down. I would be happy to say she's not ready if it weren't for this nightly game. Last night I had to breath through a few of them & couldn't talk to DH... then I nearly took his head off because he didn't realise what I was doing (I hesitate to get his hopes up every night...).

Anyway... long story short... should I take the offer of a stretch & sweep? What will it do? Will it help?

Christy, take the S & S hun, it probably won't start things straight away, actually for me it did nothing. If your body is ready to go into labour it might be just the extra nudge it needs.

Give it a go, what do you have to loose ??

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

With a S&S you might notice a little bleeding or spotting, more 'practice contractions' and a little discomfort, but for those who it does work for, it's generally around the 48 hour mark. It's up to you hon - what do YOU want?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Christy I had one done at 8 days overdue and had Caleb that evening.
    It could have got things going but then at 8 days over it could have started on it's own anyway.
    I had no bleeding and as I'd been having contractions that wasn't an issue either.

LOL... dunno, at this point. I guess I can see how long the hospital is "willing" before they push me. They didn't even mention induction with Matilda until I was 10 days over my last EDD which is great, but this time they have already started saying that they won't be able to give me much time post my last EDD. I think I'll find out when they will start pushing me. Then I will make a decision accordingly. I don't want to push things along if its not going to do anything anyway... the fruit will fall when its ready

ETA: Thanks Sam! I guess thats what I mean when I say it could help, but it could not either....

Maybe speak to Cailin too, I am pretty sure Lionel said to avoid any forms of even natural induction with her VBAC to make sure everything was as uncomplicated as possible. So perhaps chat to her?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

Will do

baby4 Guest

hi there personally i had this done a couple of weeks ago and it didnt do anything but traumatise me its up to you but i have had 4 kids and would rather give birth again then ever go through that again

I guess it is different to every one then. I only found it midly uncomfortable, not painful at all.

Christy- i had a VBAC, i had a S&S done twice, both times it did nothing, i was induced at the end, i Hope it works for you.
    Good Luck

If you are having good prelabour signs, I'd do it.
    I had mine during labour, so it really kicked things along for me, but I'm definitly opting for at least one of these if I go overdue this time.
    I have heard what Kelly said as well though about any sort of induction adn VBAC too. Hmmm - not sure. I guess they wouldn't offer if they didn't think it was safe for you?

It took around 3 days for it to have any effect on me - if the S&S was what made my labour start. Blake was born 3 days overdue and I had the S&S the day he was due. My waters broke at the hossy when contractions were 1.5mins apart so who knows what caused it all to start, S&S or nature (Viv was 7 days over & labour started 5 days over) (And I was't VBAC)

It was a little painful, but bearable, and yes, there was a little bit of bloody discharge.

Good luck with your decision making, Christy.

Christy I don't know if I told you, but we're having a pre-conference half day workshop on specific VBAC support skills on Friday - maybe I can get a few good tips out of that for you Of course I have already supported VBACs that have gone really well, but I would love to get more tips if there are any goodies to help
    Kelly xx

Thanks everyone! Kelly that would be great At the hospital the senior midwife deemed it "wasn't necessary at this time" which of course made the decision for me LOL... The midwife my appt was with offered me one & I said I was debating it & thought it was worth having a go at and then when she got up her supervisor told her not too. Apparently they don't like doing them pre- 40 weeks. So even though the OB at the hospital is the one who suggested it & put it in my notes, the midwife said it wasn't important but booked me in for one on Monday if Jovie hasn't come. I didn't mind at the time, didn't like being told something different but at the same time I was still undecided really when I went to the hospital & a bit scared of having it done when I was by myself.

I think thats probably for the best. After re-reading what kel said lionel said (god she's got a good memory) he did mention no interference phsyically as that can lead to another c/s. So maybe its for the best You are doing fantastically hon!

And there is no rush what will be will be Enjoy these last few days of your beautiful little girl wriggling around inside you. You are doing fantastically

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yeah I thought it was a little strange that they were offering one before the due date but nothing surprises me these days LOL!!!

I'll have some words with Jovie when I get there and tell her that it's such a great time to come with so many doulas from around Australia in the one place at the one time - we'll have to send you all our birthy energy
    Kelly xx

The funniest thing was when the midwife was trying to convince her supervisor (it was silly because she left the door open & I heard every word...) she said "but her fundal height is 42!!! and I laughed, she hadn't said anything to me, but it sounded like she was concerned that Jovie was "too big"... lucky she didn't say anything I would have had something to say about her even bothering to measure me... I have had 2 fundal height measurements throughout my entire pregnancy & all of them have been 2 weeks "bigger" than what they would expect.... I think its soooo wrong to scare women with silly things that aren't ever accurate anyway.

ROFL!!! Thank goodness you know better too
    Kelly xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast