Thread: TENS machine?

Default TENS machine?

Hiya,
    Tossing up whether to hire a TENS machine for labour and was wondering your experiences with them......when did you start using it, how long did you use it for, is it worth it etc. etc.
    Thanks

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A couple of women I have supported have used it and found it useless, and annoying - they had to take them off for showers and baths etc and also from the sense of pain in labour, I think it makes it all worse, because you have to press it early in a contraction to make it work best, so therefore you are effectively sitting there, waiting for each contraction so you can press the button, anticipating each one... not a fan myself but some women find it particularly helpful for back labour (posterior babies) but I wouldn't use it even then as I would be hung up on each contraction - thats just me!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I have seen them used for general muscle aches and pains and for this I would recommend them. However because of how they work I would not recommend them to ease the pain of labour.

Alan- what do you mean by that?

Kelly - isn't that how you need to use gas anyway? Take it as the contraction starts and then stop at the peak?

chocolatecatty - did you end up using it?

The midwife taking our antenatal classes was raving about them and I was feeling like it would be a great option to try to avoid drugs. I know it could be a PITA to take it on and off for showers/baths but I was figuring that mixing up the coping strategies could be a good thing.

Anyone else with +ve or -ve stories to share?

They are great for early labour but really don't do much when it really cranks up. Just more of a distraction than actual pain releif, which I might add is good if you don't actually want pain releif IYKWIM.
    I found it more of a releif to take it off and get in the bath by that stage.

Huge TENS fan here. I loved it. I only had a 1 hour 54 labour but it was HIGHLY intense and I had the machine on for most of that time. It definitely took my mind off things, and I didn't use the shower, so wasnt' a problem. Only cost $10 a week to hire so it's one of those things that if you hate it, so what , $10 out of pocket. I recommend trying it. Also I recommend hiring a couple o fweeks before and having a practice. xo

Thanks for the feedback girls. My hospital is having an info session later this week so I'll go and check it out some more.

Blackbird
    This is only my thoughts. I have no proof.
    TENS use an electric current to cause your muscle to contract. I would be a little concerned how this would effect a contracting uterus

Thanks Alan. I'll see what more I can find out along those lines.

Blackbird - I ended up not using one due to not arranging one really...was thinking about getting one during early labour but that was more out of curiosity.....my SIL swore by hers though.