Thread: Tens Machines??!!

Default Tens Machines??!!

Just want to know if these are worth it!?
    Have read some mixed results so thought Id ask if anyone has used one what it was like? if you were able to keep using it without needing drugs and also is the training necessary or can you just hire them online?

Also am planning (fingers crossed) on being in the bath lots so is it possible to put it on and off if needed??? Lots of questions sorry!

I used a TENS machine. I got it a few weeks before (hired it for one week $10) and had a practice. Then I hired it just before coco arrived *(she was 8 days early) and I stuck it straight on. I found it great, but I had a very short labour (1 hour 54mins) so I am not sure if it helped or not as I had it on the whole time. It certainly took my mind of things (when I turned it the wrong way and gave myself electric shocks) but I thought it was great. It's easy to get on and off anyway, so baths are no problem. For $10 ($20 all up as I hired it twice) I wouldn't have cared if it just sat in my bag.
    I would say give it a go,take it with you , and then you can try it if you'd like. xoxoox

I'm going to try one this pregnancy, i've heard great things from other people, so i'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say.

can anyone tell me where you hire these from?

We have one provided by the hospital and you just buy the pads. Which is fine as long as you dont have a quick labor. If you do you might get there and you are too far dilated and progressed for them to work effectively requiring other pain relief. I have heard they are only really effective in early labour.
    But if i dont need to use them our hospital refunds the money.
    Most of the time you would hire from physiotherapists or you could try a chemist. But it is machine used by physio's so maybe call a local one near you and see what they say - they sould be able to tell you where to get one anyhow kellied

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I am not a fan of them, nor is Rhea my teacher.

You basically have to sit there waiting for each contraction and press them just before it hits, so I think it focuses on the pain too much, also if you want to get into the water you have to put them on and off all the time. Also there is no proof of it's safety. Another thing is that it usually is most effective for those who have back labour (posterior bub etc) but there are lots of things which I don't think make it ideal for labour. Some people do find it helps them, but many don't too. Rhea also made a very good point about it which has slipped my mind, will have to ask her to remind me. I think it might be something to do with needed to start doing it in early labour, so the energy and focus you give to it in early labour may only draw out and stall that labour. I would imagine the anxiety with each contraction coming would also add to it. Will find out to be sure.

Just another perspective, you have to do what works for you.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I have to totally disagree with Kelly's post. Have you actually used one yourself in labour Kelly?

I used a TENS machine for my birth and found that this was the only pain relief I required. Yes, you do focus on the contractions but how can you ignore them? I found the TENS actually helped distract me from the pain, so much so that I did not even ask for gas or any other kind of pain relief. I used the TENS in both early labour and during the pushing stage - hence it's usefulness throughout the whole labour. It was also great to use in the car on the way to the hospital. Also, I found it easy to remove and replace when I went in the bath/shower. PersonaIly, I couldn't have made it through my labour without drugs if I did not have the TENS machine. I highly recommed it's use and I will be hiring one again for my next labour.

I would have thought this website would be promoting all methods to reduce the use of pain medications in labour (even if the particular method does not work for everyone).

Hi,

I'm 33w preg with 1st baby and I plan on using a TENS machine. At an antenatal class on pain relief they bought in a TENS machine for us to have a go of. The experts aren't sure whether or not TENS machines are safe to use during pregnancy (physios use them to treat back probs etc) so we were just able to attach it to our arms, I was very interested before and after being able to have a go I have decided to use one during labour.

Basically the midwife said it is hard to explain how it actually feels and that some people like the feeling and others don't. The hospital has two you can use while you're there. She said they are effective all through labour but she said they are much more effective in the later stages of dialating and pushing if you used one at home from the beginning. She gave us a flyer for a local company that hires them out.

Maybe you could ask at an antenatal appt to have a go if your hospital has them there to use. I definitely agree that it is hard to explain the feeling and that some people wouldn't like the feeling

I used it for about 15 hours of my 17 hours of labour (prior to emergency c/c) and combined with breathing and the hypno work I had done with my naturopath didn't think about wanting pain meds. My contractions were 2-3 mins apart for all of that time so there wasn't much chance to think about them lol! I had thought I'd use the bath/shower quite a bit but didn't feel like it at all so I didn't need to take the pads on and off.

I hired a FreeMom from Krieslex in Brighton. They ran a session at Mitcham Private on how to use them. I'll hire one again for next time and will have it for after pains too which are supposed to be much worse the 2nd time round (they provide a different set of strips for that type of use).

It's not for everyone but it worked for me!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Hey, it's completely okay if you disagree with my post - to make an informed decision people need to hear both the pro's and the con's, and then some will find they share your experience and some will find they share mine.

There are plenty of tools you can use in labour to manage pain, people choose different things and we get different results. A TENS may have been what worked for you, some people find other things. An example I know well, a doula results in 60% less epidurals and 30% less pain relief usage. So some will find that sufficient. Some find Hypnobirthing or Calmbirthing to be the only thing they need. Lots of things, depending what you are open to and are comfortable with. And as I mentioned, there is no studies over safety of it's use in labour.

No I haven't used one, I didn't need it, but I trust my teacher's 26 years of birth experience and a few of my own to know some basic pro's and con's. There are lots of pro's here, which is great, but none of you have presented cons, so as a birth attendant I am sharing what I have seen and learnt. I think this is a good thing - nothing will work for everyone and there will be people who disagree with your post too. It's important to give balance as no-one will have exactly the same one experience you have had. I strongly believe it's important that early labour be played down and not focused on, and if the pain is intense, working with the reason this may be so - is the baby posterior? Do some OFP. Is mum frightened? Do some work with her. Is her labour progressing fast? etc etc... I work with lots of women who don't choose pain relief too, and they get through with great support and informed, balanced choices.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 16th, 2007 at 07:43 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

That's absolutely fine Kelly - that's why we value you so much. You bring so much other experience and knowledge and sometimes challenge the conventional 'wisdom' which can be confronting at times. Keep it up so we can confront the birth industry.

I didn't end up using a doula this time and maybe things may have turned out differently if I had but I think I'd drive myself (more) insane if I focussed too much on the what ifs. If I have a huge baby again, I'm not sure what my chances of a VBAC will be and given it looks like at may have an incisional hernia at this late stage in the piece I'm even less optimistic. Oh well, I have a gorgeous healthy boy.

Well even after being overdue - i didnt end up getting the tens machine - and kind of glad i didnt - i ended up in the bath - bliss and also the shower briefly but as Isabelle was posterior any direct pressure on my back was too much..heres my birth sotry if you are interested....http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...?t=38411thanks for all the feedback though ladies!!

Hi,

I have hired one to use as I thought it was worth the money to at least try. In the UK they are alot more common and I have a lot of friends who have sworn by them. I think very early labour is the key to alot of it's success.
    Also at my antenatal class the teacher highly recommended them as a great natural option.