Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TENS Machines in Labour

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H
    not sure what the TENS stands for though!
    Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation - just in case anyone was wondering

Update: Very very great for period pain.. and some people compare birth pains to period pains dont they? (Oh and I used it with chronic period pain.. the kind that makes you cry and useless for anything).

ETA: (from webmegs question in other thread, and she was directed here) The machines here can also be hired from chemists.. and it was pretty cheap.. like 5 or 10 a week or something (and a deposit of 50$ u got back too)

Thanks everyone, Im really wondering what to do now.I appreciate all the different stories, Im just thinking knowing my luck it will be useless. Im happy to try one out, but my midwife said I can ONLY hire them from a physio, which is a pain in the butt, chemist is much easier. I'll have to look around.

I have hired my TENS machine for a trial. have used it about 3 times, only briefly, but helps with the back pain. I like the sensation, so Im going to hire it out for birth. It's $10 a week from my local physio. I'd never been there so just made an appointment and they showed me how to use it!! Thanks for the advice everyone xo

jaggard Guest

I borrowed a TENS from a friend for my 1st labour. I really don't think it did much but was a bit of a distraction for a while. DD ws posterior, pain was too full on so I had the works (peth, epi) in the end.
    My mother came in at one stage and put the thing on max accidently which felt like my back was tearing apart; you can imagine what words I used then LOL! #-o

With DS I didn't bother using one, my labour came on way too quickly and only lasted 2 hours so it was gas and that was it. I find that gentle rocking in a hot shower, massage, using a bean bag and floor mat, plus hot packs work just the same to help with back pain.

As someone mentioned I don't think they can be used in water which can restrict a little.

Good luck

I totally forgot about it 8-[ I wish I had it cos I know it works for me & all my pain was in my back (bub was posterior).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12