Thread: Thought I was in labour last night - now nothing! Anyone else?

Default Thought I was in labour last night - now nothing! Anyone else?

So, I'm 3 days overdue.... Have been having a "show" since my due date.

Last night, had a couple of contractions before bed, then woke up at 1am with contractions coming every 8-10 minutes. Lasted for about 3-4 hours. Rang the hospital, they said to grab a hot water bottle and try to get more rest, so I went back to sleep but it was only a light sleep, I could still feel contractions happening. Had some more around 9am, but now that I've got up and had a shower there does not seem to be much happening.

ARGH! So frustrated - I thought this was the real deal!!

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do today - get out and walk around or stay home? My hubby is paranoid about going out and getting "caught short", but if I just sit at home and concentrate on every niggle I'm going to drive myself crazy!

Kirsty77 Guest

SOunds like things won't be far off now. I'd say they'll start up again. Try being active, walking, walking up stairs or maybe head to a mall and walk around there in the air conditioning! I've had a few false starts with gemma but once they stopped I had nothing happen again. The more active you are the more likely they are to start again. Goodluck!

Hopefulyl not too far away for you. I wont tell you that I had just abotu 2 weeks of this..... Really not what you need or want to hear!
    They are right about the rest. If it gets too painful during the night, have a hot shower and try and get some more sleep. If its the real thing you wont sleep through and miss it - promise

It does sounds like it's not too far off. Stay active, go for a walk around the block with DH. Just stay calm and relaxed. Try not to think about it too much. If contractions start up again, try not to get your hopes up until you know for absolute sure it's labour, just so you don't get disappointed if it isn't the real thing yet. Goodluck!

Yeah Tegan, thats exactly what got me so upset the first time, everytime it lasted for more than an hour I got my hopes up only to have a hot shower or bath & get dissappointed. Or go for a long walk & just wind up tired & sore....I think the "relax" philosophy is the best, the hardest but the best.

Thanks for the advice guys, I went out for a 1/2 hour walk with DH, and just had a relaxing bath. If it all starts up again, I'm just going to practise my nice calm breathing and try not to get too excited!!

It's at the point where the home phone and mobiles are going INCESSANTLY with people wanting updates and that's almost driving me crazier than the waiting. I'm thinking of putting a message on that says ...." You've reached Rob and Belle, now we HAVEN'T had the baby yet, we'll ring you when something happens."

this happened to me only they were about 4-5 mins apart, i even went to the hospital and they said i was in early labour, they sent me home with some sleeping tablets so i could get some sleep and it stopped, this happened a few time. This was about 2 weeks before my due date, i ended up being induced 5 days after my due date, i hope it happens alot faster for you.

I had that going on almost every night past my due date and I went 8 days overdue.
    On the bright side I was already 3cm dilated when I went to the OB the day I ended up having Caleb.
    Hopefully they are getting things moving for you also

This is great - thanks again for the positive stories, guys! It happened again last night - quite strong contractions but about 20-30 minutes apart this time. I'm just trying to trust that it's my body getting things ready and hopefully getting things a fair way "down the path" so my active labour phase will be shorter!!!