Thread: Trainee midwife

Default Trainee midwife

Just wondering what are trainee midwifes are meant to do whilst you are in labour. I have agreed to have a trainee around, she is meant to be turning up to my appointments (missed today's which was an important one as I putting my foot down with the ob) and be there for the birth. I am just not sure if I am to expect anything from her in the way of support etc or will it be a hindrance.

Originally a trainee midwife rwas ecommended to me as there are no doula's down here, the one in particular had just finished her training and I was quite happy to employ her as a doula. Unfortunately she pulled out do to being away around my EDD. So fairly new trainee contacted me. Now I am just not sure about the whole thing. I definitely need to know more about they do.

i had a trainee but she was part of the hospital training so shadowed the midwife, mine was lovely! sorry cant really help!

Like AJP...i had a trainee that was training through the hospital. She done everything the normal midwife did. Helped deliver DD1, checked BP, supported me in contractions, got needles ready, done internal exam.

Not much help either sorry.

I had a trainee that was with the hospital too. She was really lovely but i think it would have been better if she wasn't there. I had a lot of physcological issues during my labour and everytime i saw her, my labour would suddenly stop. I have no idea, cause as i said she was lovely. I think it just depends on what you think you will be comfortable with. I thought i would be fine, but apparently i wasn't. But that is probably due to my first birth experience.

She didnt really do much. I think she was really new. She had a feel of my belly to see what a contraction felt like and she was there for the actual birth, just looking.

SamanthaP Guest

Student midwives (not trainees) can do as much as you want or as little as you want during the labour. They should be a support not a hindrance though. I've had mostly fantastic experiences with women whom I've been following through. I attend all antenatal appointments (if I can), and have been at 3 labour and births over the past ten days where I've been lucky enough to catch the bubs as they made their way into the world. I think that you should call your student and talk with her about the program as it sounds like you consent hasn't been very informed. The relationship can be mutually rewarding as long as you both have clear expectations of each other and you communicate!

I had one at Alex's birth and like many of the others she was a trainee through the hospital. She was just lovely and pretty much did everything with the guidance of the fully trained midwife. In fact she delivered Alex and he was her first actual birth - she was so chuffed with herself and the whole experience. Wouldnt hesitate to have one again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Remember though that Astrid is referring to a follow through student midwife, not a hospital one on the day of the birth only.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

She is a follow through student midwife. It is a shame for her education that she did miss the VBAC negotiation today.

Thanks for the feedback, it will help me readjust my expectations of the whole situation. I suppose I am mourning the loss of having a doula, as that is what I was hoping to get from the previous midwife as she had finished her all her follow ups and wanted to keep working with pregnant women whilst waiting for an actual job on the labour ward.

I could organise a private midwife, but DH thinks the student midwife should be enough as I am also with the midwife continuity program and they seem great so far.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Astrid, I could always try another shout out for a trainee/doula up your way... let me know!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Astrid,
    I have just finished my midwifery diploma in which I had 15 follow through women so this is what I did. My role (which is in the hospital I work in, just incase each hospital is different) had two different components. If I was rostered on to work I was the midwife who supported the woman under the supervision of a registered midwife like I would everyday at work. This involved all cares/support for the woman, baby and being the midwife for the birth. If I was there when I wasn't rostered on I was only there in the capacity of a support person only and was there solely for the woman and being her support/voice/advocate. I wasn't involved in any of the midwifery care or birth.
    I hope you don't mind but I would just like to say speaking from both sides, a student and having a student midwife in my birth. Being a student it was an amazing experience that a woman allowed me to be present and involved in her pregnancy and her birth experience. Being involved in her antenatal care I was able to build a relationship and it was so rewarding to be there during her birth.
    On the other side of the experience and being a follow through case study myself having a student midwife in my labour was also fantastic as she was an additional support and gave me so much encouragement and empowerment she helped me through and also my DH. Once again I was able to have a relationship with her through antenatal and work.
    Will the trainee midwife be following you through antenatally and postnatally as well as your birth?
    Hope that helps and I haven't confused you (Hope you don't mind me adding my 10cents, can't help myself sometimes, LOL!).

When I had DS2 I had a trainee midwife - I was her 20th birth, and she did it ALL on her own, except for when DS2 was almost born and she needed an extra hand.
    I didn't find this out til afterwards, and I was amazed - my labour progressed SO quick (i stood up and Elijah's head all but fell out - literally) and she handled it like a pro.
    I was meaning to send her a card or something, just to inspire her to keep up her good work, but I never got around to it. I certainly hope I have her next time (if I can convince DP of a 'next time' - lol)