Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaginal Exams in Pregnancy & Labour

1. How many exams did you have during pregnancy & labour?

None in pg, three in labour - one when my OB arrived, as I'd had PROM, one by my mid to check my progress when I was 7cm (in the bath), and another by my OB when my DS was malpositioned and 'stuck'.

2. How did you feel about them in pregnancy & labour?

Did not want any during pg, but it was never needed. Was happy to have a minimal amount during labour to check my progress.

3. Did your carer explain the procedure to you and why they were doing it?

Yes, it was always explained to me, and I was completely comfortable with having each VE.

4. Did you feel that your carer did too many or more than you would have liked? Did you feel they were justified?

I was happy with the amount. Probably didn't really need the one at 7cm, but it made me happy to know I'd gotten that far without pain relief, so it was worthwhile IMO. I feel the other two exams were justified, the first to check that I was in established (premature) labour, the second to reposition my baby.

paradise lost Guest

I had 1 VE and 4 stretch & sweeps between 39+5 and 41+3, all at my own request. The 1st VE was a requested S&S but she couldn't reach my still-very-posterior cervix. I had one VE in labour.

During pregnancy i was happy to have the S&S's because i wanted to have my homebirth and i was getting pretty overdue. I had to get the baby out before 42wks and though i don't know if any of the sweeps made a difference, they certainly didn't seem (to me) to do any harm. All but one were done by my midwives who were gentle and professional. One was done by a (female) ob who was so vigorous that DD was bumping hard into my ribs with the shoving. I didn't have pain or bleeding afterwards but one of the midwives who'd stayed with me said, after she'd gone, "i sometimes wonder if that woman has a vagina!".

During labour i felt defeated after my VE as i was only 25% effaced and 2-3cm dilated, but when they went to do the 2nd VE, 4 hours later, DD's head was crowning, so i felt the 1st VE was pretty pointless as regards what it actually told us all about how soon DD would be arriving.

The ones i requested, no, but i had asked for them so it was obvious i knew what it was for/about already. In labour i had to get out of the bath to be examined and in asking me to get out of the bath she said "hop out and i'll see how far along things are" and i knew what she meant by that.

4. Did you feel that your carer did too many or more than you would have liked? Did you feel they were justified?
    I can see why the one in labour was done, but as i said i don't see what good it did us - it made me feel defeated and like a drama queen as i was in quite a bit of pain and wanting to push and the findings of the VE were that i wasn't even in "real" labour. Then the next VE to see if i was in "real" labour yet, there wasn't a V to E because her head was there instead!

5. Any other thoughts/comments?
    My midwives did have the good grace to look dumbstruck when Esme's head appeared. LOL.
    Last edited by paradise lost; December 5th, 2007 at 09:52 AM.

Hey Snacks

exactly! too much emphasis is placed on a subjective measurement (and not everyone is good at it ) ...and what for, so a woman can be checked to ensure she is dilating 1cm per hour as per the 'book'

1 during pregnancy when i was 40wks5days and 4 during labour

i felt uncomfortable with the one during pregnancy only because i had never had a papsmear or anything before but once it was over it wasnt too bad. i was fine with the ones in labour

yes

Did you feel that your carer did too many or more than you would have liked? Did you feel they were justified?
    no

I had five internals during my pregnancy as I went into labour at 33 weeks then another four times. I didn't find them invasive or painful. I also had one during labour at 39 weeks. I didn't find them invasive or painful. They were all performed by training doctors who were very understanding. I was told by a midwife that they shouldn't be performed as they can pass on bacterial infections which is what caused me to go into labour at 33 weeks. I had an irretable uterus so any infection caused me to have contractions.

1. I didn't have any during pregnancy, i had a few during labour,
    2.they were uncomfortable but i didn't feel violated or upset or anything. I would have changed dr if they wanted to do VE during pregnancy as i don't believe they are necessary in a normal pregnancy.
    3. Yes, they told me what they were going to do and why (to see how dialated i was)
    4. i was very comfortable with the low number of VE i had

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here 'tis ladies. Thank-you so much for your contributions!

Vaginal Exams - When Are They Really Necessary?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

nice one Kel

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

hehehe thanks Natalie
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12