Thread: Videos/DVDs of births

Default Videos/DVDs of births

At our antenatel class last night we watched a video of a caesarean birth as we were covering 'unexpected outcomes'. I don't think we are going to be shown a normal birth so DH asked the midwife if we could borrow one which had three vaginal births.

We watched it when we got home and I was shocked at first but then it was good to see the different labours in first and second stage. (It was actally amusing looking at the clothes because the video was more than 20 years old).

I would like to see more real births as I think this will help with me prepare for my birth psychologically because it will be my first one.

Does anyone know where I could borrow some apart from the hospital? I was thinking maybe librarys but not sure where else they would be available?

Is there anyone you know that might have filmed the birth of their children ??? I have both my boys births on video but Lachlans is hard to make out cause they turned all the big overhead lights on and andrew forgot to drop the exposure back to compensate on the video camera.

Love

Kathryn, I don't know anyone that had filmed their birth, it's a good suggestion though.

Shannon - I saw Maternity Ward at the hotel when I was last travelling for work and it was great. Maybe we should get cable, or I could get a friend to tape it. Don't need to see the girlie bits only the baby and am interested on how the women cope with birth.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I dont know how this equates with other areas.. but in Bunbury there is like a services, that is affiliated with the main playgroups etc.. like a parenting service.. you can lend books about babies and parenting etc.. and here they do have birth videos too.. so maybe ask around if theres something like that nearby...

K

Tigergirl1980 Guest

We have foxtel Gemma, I wouldn't mind taping some for you and posting it on.

Melody Guest

Gemma, a little reccomendation from me.

Way before I was pregnant, around the time I was TTC, I bought a 10 part BBC Doco called "The Human Body" & it tracks the relationship (in part 2)from conception to birth between mother & unborn child.

There is a birth in it but there is absolutely LOADS of information & visual data that will amaze you regarding pregnancy.

The series itself focuses on the journey from conception, toddler, teenager, middle-age & then demise. I highly recomend it.

Thanks again for your advice, will look at your suggestions.

I am getting Maternity Ward taped by a friend and we borrowed more birth videos from the hospital last night.