Thread: waters breaking as 1st sign of labour

Default waters breaking as 1st sign of labour

Hi Girls,
    Just wondering if anybody had their waters break as a first sign of labour and if it was anywhere public. This has never happened to me, its always been the "are these real contractions????" that turn into very real contractions and the waters either being artificially ruptured or breaking when it is so full on I dont even notice.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I wouldn't worry about your waters breaking as a start of labour - of course it does happen but most labours start with contractions or inductions. Those that do have their water break first - i think around 30% - is often at home, getting up to go to the toilet or first thing in the morning, but this isn't a rule of course.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Mywaters broke as first sign of labour at about 5am. When I got to the hospital they soaked through my pad and ended up all over the floor at the admissions desk - they had to call a cleaner to come and mop up.
    The woman who admitted me had hers break at the supermarket. She just parked her trolley and snuck off LOL.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Oooh I forgot to add - left on their own, the waters will usually break just prior to second stage, or at second stage. So if your Ob / midwives can leave it be, which is rare!, it can be around then. Usually the mantra they follow these days is if it's not broken, break it LOL. But it's not necessary and adds risk of infection.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Mine broke after about a day and a half of niggling contractions. I was eating dinner in front of the tv.. and all of a sudden just could NOT get comfortable, decided I needed to empty my bladder... on the way to the loo I had a trickle. After putting a pad on thinking it was just going to continue trickling, went back downstairs and WHAMMO.. massive gush. LOL.

I have to say, the midwife at our class had said its unlikely to be an embarressing gush.. and she explained that when the baby's head is low in the pelvis there's only really a small pool of fluid under its head which will come out when the waters break... but don't believe a word of it! LOL. I soaked through pads & clothes, and I'm sooooo glad I wasn't out in public!!

But in answer to your question, it wasn't my first sign of labour, but it was the first sign that it was -really- going to happen tho! I know that next time when I start to get contractions I won't be leaving the house LOL!

My waters breaking were my first sign of labour, It was my due date and i had just gotten into bed after giving up on anything happening that day!! LOL
    Just about to get comfy to watch the end of All Saints and pop! ran to the loo and it came gushing out! took about 2hrs before i started to feel any contractions. Meanwhile i walked around the house with a towel between my legs as every step i took more and more fluid came out.

Wonder if it will happen the same way this time???????

My waters broke with a contraction a minute before Victoria was born. I felt the urge to push and they exploded over everyones feet and then as I was climbing onto the bed she fell out of me! The midwife seemed to think that the waters did a good job of lubricating things in there and she slippery slided her way out and fell on the bed! Thank god I was getting on the bed.