Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is considered big in regards to a babies head circumference?

Default What is considered big in regards to a babies head circumference?

I was just curious to know what is considered big in regards to a babies head circumference?

My DD's measurements were as follows:
    Weight: 6.6 pounds
    Length: 51cm
    HC: 35.5cm

In regards to weight I know she was on the smaller side of average but I tend to think her head may have been on the bigger side? Am I correct? I also think she may have been a bit on the long side for her weight.

Any thoughts?

Not too sure but posting my DD stats so you can compare:

6lb4oz (2.82kg)
    48cm length
    33cm HC.

My daughter looked (and still does) long and skinny. Your dd was longer and lighter but with a bigger head so your idea does stand up to our measurements! Will be interesting to see what others say...

eta: I see now that she was actually slightly heavier than mine but you get what i'm saying

all 3 of mine were 'big'.
    37 (8lbs 4oz, 53cm)
    37.5 (9lbs 5oz, 55.5cm)
    39 (11lbs, 55cm)

I was told I had a really long baby and my babies head was considered on the bigger side of things.

Her stats were:
    Length- 52.5cm
    Weight- 8pound 1ounce
    HC- 36.5cm

Is your DH or are you tall?

well DD1 had a head circ of 38cm and it was not on the chart they give you with the percentiles on it. i would think 35cm is pretty average. DD1 was 55cm long too which was about 95th percentile from memory.

I *think* the average hc is 34 cm, so anything smaller than that would be below averge and anything larger is obviously above average. I think it's just a mind over matter thing - I have had 34 cm up to 37 and there was absolutely no difference to me in how much it hurt, but no estimates were ever made on how big they would be. Maybe if I had of been told "oh this head is quite large" before they were born, then I think I would have gone into that birth with reservations about my ability to get them out. A lot of people have said 'OMG' to me when they knew how big my last baby's head was but it didn't make much difference to me at all.

I am 5'3 and he is maybe 5'11ish (just under 6' ) so nothing special. I do not know where she got her length. Considering she was long and light she had and still does have a lot of chub on her. Her head has never looked big but I think it sounds big for her weight.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

36cm head is generally considered avg.

DS was 38cm head, 3995grams and 53cm long at 38 weeks!!!

DS had a 38cm head, 4640g but he was 41+3

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    I have had 34 cm up to 37 and there was absolutely no difference to me in how much it hurt
    Nice to know! When I was pg with DD I was always told head head was spot but she was small weight wise, I was never to concerned and ended up with a CS so have no idea if it 'felt' big. When she was born people commented how she was small but it is the head size that counts when 'giving birth'.

I am hoping for a VBAC next time and these silly comments have got me thinking. Although I think that my next bub might be bigger all over as Matilda was born at 38+2 weeks via CS with no indication from her that she was planning to evacuate any time soon and also as she has a chromosome deletion which leads to low birth weight.

I am putting silly things in my head I think.
    When I was pg with Matilda I had no doubt in my mind that I could birth her naturally, my fear was CS, now that I have had a CS and for me it was such a breeze (CS and recovery) I am kind of telling myself how hard it is going to be to go natural after this experience. I want a natural birth more than anything and I know that I can do it. I am just like anyone I suppose, I overthink things.

Thankyou for your responces. I think that 35.5cm seems ok, not small but definatly not large .

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    I *think* the average hc is 34 cm, so anything smaller than that would be below averge and anything larger is obviously above average. I think it's just a mind over matter thing - I have had 34 cm up to 37 and there was absolutely no difference to me in how much it hurt, but no estimates were ever made on how big they would be. Maybe if I had of been told "oh this head is quite large" before they were born, then I think I would have gone into that birth with reservations about my ability to get them out. A lot of people have said 'OMG' to me when they knew how big my last baby's head was but it didn't make much difference to me at all.
    So true!

Oh, and don't forget that their head will mould to fit through your vagina too, so the actual circumference afterwards is irrelevant really. If you are given all the time you need to push them out then there is no reason why you can't get a baby out with a 40+cm head. My first baby had a hc of 35, which is not over large, and the shape of his head was amazing! I pushed for nearly 1.5hrs and he had this huge conehead - I even asked if it would stay like that ROFL! I was devastated to think that his head would stay like that, but that's just how much it needed to mould to be able to fit through.

Its amazing really isn't it, that our bodies and our babies know exactally what to do if they are just left to do it. I want minimal intervention with my next pregnancy/birth so I hope that my body can be left to do what is so natural.

I remember asking the midwife at an antenatal appointment if my baby was big and she said to me "it is just the right size for you". That was so comforting to hear and put a very positive thought and attitude in my head.

at one point i watched DD2's head emerging in the mirror and was amazed just how much it mouled to fit out, i actually thought something was wrong with her head due to the shape it was squished but was perfectly rounded as soon as she was born.
    DD2 was
    8lb 1.5oz
    33.5cm
    49.5cm long.

DD1 was
    7lb 5oz
    35cm
    50cm

My dd was born @35+ weeks and her head was 34cm (she was 3.15kg and 48.5cm long)

Her head did make her look bigger than other babies. It's still big (in the 97th percentile while height & weight is 50&75th percentile). But it would look massive if she had hair.

Her head measured 2wks a head at 18wk ultrasound.

I had to respond after reading your post Maybebabie

My DS was born at 35 weeks, and he was
    2.325kg (5lbs 1oz)
    44cm long
    34cm HC

His head was, and is, enormous. He was such a skinny little thing as nb, but if I wrapped him all up in a blanket with just his head poking out he looked like a full-termer! LOL. His head has never been on the charts, ever. At his 18 month check it was the size of a 3 year olds . I just say it's to fit all his brains in . So MB, I hear you on the big head thing! Our scans always showed that he had a big head too.

Sorry DD, I know that doesn't help you much!

babies put all their effort into making sure the most important thing is well developed, the head, which is why babies heads are generally normal size even if early
    Last edited by Olive; April 12th, 2009 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast