thread: What do you think my chances of avoiding being induced are?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Apr 2009
    in the garden
    3,767

    MissE, big labour vibes for you!

    I had a hindwater leak with DD (first bub).

    I was put in hospital overnight & told they would induce me next morning if I didn't go into labour on my own (I had been leaking since about 4am that morning as far as I know).
    At 5am I got up to go to the toilet & as I got back into bed my waters broke - like, they POPPED! and my contractions started almost immediately.

    Good on you for talking them into letting you have the weekend! I always assumed my leak meant my body was almost ready anyway, kwim? I'm sure it will be the same for you especially as you've had your show & other pre-labour signs (I had none with DD just a teeny bit of AF type cramping the night before my leak).
    Walk heaps this weekend! and as hard as it is, relax either way you will have your little one soon!

    Good luck, can't wait to see your BA

  2. #2
    Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

    Jan 2005
    Funky Town, Vic
    7,070

    You have a 100% chance of not being induced if you don't turn up to the appointment

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Mar 2004
    1,547

    It is not uncommon for babies not to engage until labour has started. I think with the leak, and the show, you have a good chance of labour starting on its own. I had a hind water leak with bub no 2, but I was induced about 12 hours after it started - so I don't know what would have happened if we had waited, but I think given another day or so things probably would have started on their own.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    8,986

    I don't know what your chances are to be honest. I have heard there is increased chance of infection if the baby isn't born within 24 hrs of waters breaking.

    Mine broke and labour didn't start at all after 14 hrs so I was induced.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!
    1,432

    tinkerbell infection risks really only go up when people put things up the vaginal cavity that has germs on it.
    the vagina is a self cleaning sterile area..

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    8,986

    That makes sense.

  7. #7
    BellyBelly Member

    Dec 2005
    3,130

    my water hadnt broken but i was 3cm dilated and had a show and they still induced me 10 days over. hope you get away without having to be induced!

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Nov 2008
    Melbourne
    2,008

    I don't know what your chances are to be honest. I have heard there is increased chance of infection if the baby isn't born within 24 hrs of waters breaking.
    There is. They have put me on antibiotics to prevent an infection, I have to check my temperature 3 times a day and then go into the hospital once a day for CTG to make sure bubs is okay and a quick check up for me. So far, so good, but if there is any sign of an infection or bubs not being happy they'll be inducing me right away. Personally, I'm pretty happy with this way of handling it, I just hope that I can go into labor spontaneously and avoid the induction on Monday.

    Yesterday afternoon and last night I had heaps of prelabour (cramps, back ache and the sensation of bubs trying to move down) but it petered out around 3am this morning. I think it might be getting started again, but I am starting to feel a little bit disillusioned. Today when they checked bubs position the head is now in my pelvis unevenly, so on one side it is a lot more engaged but on the other it has slipped up a bit... They have told me from the scan I had a couple of weeks ago that bubs head is particularly large, so I'm just hoping my pelvis will open up more and let them in... Anyway, guess we'll just have to see how it goes for now.

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    3,205

    I would say if you feel like things are starting up again then go on a long walk or try squatting to get bubs to put pressure on the cervix. Don't forget too that bubs head smooshes up a bit to let them through. It's very rare for a person's body to make a baby too big for them to birth vaginally. All the best, I don't think it'll be too long now!!

    Oh and like Lulu said... 100% chance of no induction if you don't turn up lol

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    Brisbane
    5,039

    You have a 100% chance of not being induced if you don't turn up to the appointment

    took the words right out of my mouth!