Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do your scars look like?

Rainbows_ Guest

Question What do your scars look like?

im new to the forum, however i have had a baby before by an emergency caesarean section, however im praying that when i get pregnant again (after i finish my degree) that ill have another caesarean section.

Just a quick question, when you have your second caesarean section do they cut the same scar open or do they make another scar? If so where is the other scar? Is it neat and tidy looking? is it high up or low down?

My first caesarean was done on the nhs and was done very well, it was neat tidy, tiny and ver low down. The midwife was very shocked to see such a neat cut.

Basically im scared of having lots of scars because i want at least three children and all of them delivered by a caesarean section.

I think that usually, they cut in the same place, and remove the old scar tissue before they stitch you up again. That will depend on how you scar, etc, though. Sometimes they cannot safely reopen the same spot. You should definitely be able to have at least three caesarians - my mom had eight. That does depend on your own body's healing and other risk factors though too. You should read as much as you can about caesarians and natural birth and make your own decision. By the way, why do you prefer a caesarian?

lindie Guest

Hi Rainbow,

I have had one c/s planned and very very low down quite a long scar, But it did turn out to be an emergency after anesthetic problems and its keloid so very angry and raised looking, I have friends who all have had babies and several over the last 5 years some have had the scar taken out and then others have had a subsequent scar just a little way up from the old one? So im not too sure about that, We are currently trying for no. 4 and my OB tells me that mine is pretty thin etc... so definately another c/s and he is pro natural childbirth so I tend to trust his judgement.

I think the birthing choice is intirely your own, please dont feel swayed!

All the best.

Lindie

I have just had my 3rd c-section and my scar looks great according to my dr LOL
    My ob cut along the old scar and removed all of the old scar tissue before stitching me up, dp said it looks like i've had a tummy tuck
    It's very neat and alot smaller than i thought it would be

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here's a caesarean scar image gallery so you can see all different sorts of scars on different women: http://www.caesarean.org.uk/ScarPics.html
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Nothing about Caesar's - but just looking at the pics its good to know that i'm not the only one with huge stretch marks... mine are like the lady is photo 11, but spread out over a bigger area!:eek:

If you do a a c/s - do you get a choice on how you want to be sewn up (staples or stitches) or is it up to the dr?

For anyone who is interested on what goes on in a c/s, there is a great website where they stream online lots of operations (anything from cardiology to obstetrics). They are sponsered by drug companies etc, but a lot of people want to watch them to see what they are up for before a particular operation! Anyway, with the live ones, you can even email in questions and the surgeon will stop the operation and answer your question (not my cup of tea, but is interesting).

I watched a c/s for a breach baby the other day - it was incredible to see. But note, this is not for the squemish - you see everything!!!

But there is such a long list of things to watch, i really liked it. PM or email me if you would like the link...

Sorry to hijack the thread!

I had a very rushed emergency c/s so it's a bit longer than the norm but nearly 16 months later (and 17wks preg again) and it's looking good. Not so red and raised, definately flattening and lightening. Fingers crossed all this healing won't be undone with a repeat c/s

Rainbows_ Guest

Just responding to

Mama of 2
    Toddler - well i really want a c-section because when i was induced last time i was left in labour with no pain relief but gas and air for 24hours, i had brusing around my vigina from the traine doctor from the examinations (which he insisted i have every 30mins), the placenta had come away from the wall and i was bleeding heavily not to mention they popped my waters and the pain was unbearable along with the internal examinations, it was so traumatic!!!! i hated it, i finally was rushed off to the thearter when my baby stopped breathing and was left with lild depression which went away when i left the hospital 24hrs later! So that is why i am choosing a caesarean section every time now.

BellyBelly - thanks for the pics, some almost looked like they had anatural birth lol, and some look quite bad like the lady with the scar up to her belly and the strech marks - i was quite blessed as my belly snapped back quite tight after my first chils and i was 2 weeks overdue (i felt uite big but i looked quite small to other mums)

Rae - wow i cant believe you can have another pregnancy so soon! You must have healed so well!!

Everyone - thanks for the info i really hope that i will get the same scar opened rather than a new scar (i dont mean to sound vain) as i dont ever want to feel like i cant tkae my clothes off in front of my hubby if you know what i mean ( iwant to be proud of my body even after childbirth!

Wow, I am glad I haven't had to have a c/s. I am also glad I haven't the stretch marks some do in those photos or the pubic hair for that matter! LOL.

Rainbows_ Guest

when i first had mine done it was bright red now its pale pink and so low down ou can barly see it, so i think it depends on the person and how well they heal i was quite blessed not to get strech marks even though i put on 2 stone which i have lost now thank heavens!!

Good for you Brooke. I think I would feel the same. But Still glad I don't have anything major. I did get a few stretch marks with Glenn but nothing that you can see now. I got massive ones on my boobs with Evan but hey thats what happens when you explode from a 12a toa 14 c over night!

Rainbow ~ You are lucky to have a nice scar after your e-c/s. I had an e-c/s and my scar was jagged and puckered at each end and around 40cms long. When I had my next pg the OB was shocked and disgusted at my scar, he said it looked as though I had given myself a c/s at home with a serrated edged knife. During the c/s he cut out the old scar and gave me a nice straight one. During my third c/s with the same OB he fixed it even more so now it is thinner and straighter. It is still very long so it puckers at the ends still but at least it is straight. Don't be worried too much, the Drs are pretty aware and try to make the incision as low as they can and as short as they can. Rather considerate of them if you think about it considering the majority of them are males!

EEEEk, The hair was more gross than anything else..

Kirsty77 Guest

I've had 2 c/s's. One was an emergency the other was scheduled. The emergenc one was a bit more 'rough' and took longer to heal and the other one is so much better and took no time to heal. They had to cut in a different spot for me, which is not the norm, they normally recut your old scar as then they are not weakening your uterus in numerous spots, just the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    EEEEk, The hair was more gross than anything else..
    I thought the same thing!

Surely if ya gonna get your crutch photographed you neaten it up????

My tummy smile has faded to nearly nothing No one can predict what their scars will look like though... whether it will be dark or light long or short it depends on the dr, procedure and your body... But I'm not sure what a second c/s scar looks like...

ETA: LOL tracey I agree... but I don't know whats worse lotsa hair or shaved?! Shaved always looks rank to me... wax if you're gonna do anything...

*hugs*
    Cailin

I know, my step sister thought it was funny that I "groomed" myself before birth & I was thinking & you didn't?? Yuk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast