Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly is the myth behind pinapple?

Fiona it reminds me of advice I received when I was in India when pregnant with Al. So did a little google search under ayurvedic.

Different food items are believed to be harmful and beneficial in the various Indian communities. Some beliefs are often associated with the concepts of ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ foods. In Indian communities food items perceived as ‘hot’ are often believed to be harmful for pregnant women and those perceived as ‘cold’ believed to be beneficial, although in a few communities effects are believed to vary in different stages of pregnancy and also on individual physical constitution.

Some ‘hot’ food items are meat, egg, fish, onions, garlic, papaya, pineapple, mango, black berry, suran and so on. The general concept of avoiding these food items was that they caused premature delivery, miscarriage, or abortion.

Some of the ‘cold’ food items are custard apple, coriander, coconut water, peas, radish, yogurt and so on. Some of these ‘hot’ and ‘cold’ food items are believed to be hot in one state and as cold in other state of India. .
    Mind you I don't think these beliefs are backed by modern science..but it could be where the myth came from.

I am sure I have read that you shouldn't eat pineapple in early pg as it can cause m/c. But was ok to induce labour at full term.

Deb - LOL at the hot & cold.. DH tried to explain this to me once.. telling me that icecream is considered a hot food! Very interesting about what to have/not have in pg.

ETA - Kelly - ouchies at using pineapple for oral infections etc. Wouldn't it sting??

I ate a whole pineapple when I was getting desperate, next day I went into pre labour, after a week of strong prelabour I brought another pineapple, I then went into stronger contractions every 3 minutes apart, lasting a minute - not sure if it was a coincidence or not

My chinese acupuncutre guy told me not to eat pineapple, mango, eggplant and chives as I am ttc#1 after a misscarriage in Feb. They believe it can cause miscarriage. so I still avoid these foods, just in case. I'm still not pregnant, but I a too scard to eat them.

Yeah it does say that then enzime is only found in fresh pineapple. It gets distroyed in the process of tinning & juicing.

Well I got from eatting the pineapple was sore tongue. I think the acid in it must have burnt my tongue a bit.

preg_mummy Guest

hey i heard the eat heaps of pinapple to induce labour... but hat was like 4 or so pinapples....

ummm i am so glad i stumbled accross this thread, may explain a few things! I had a huge craving for pineapple (and still do) from early pregnancy to today, i just have to have pineapple. I got pizza the other day, yes Hawiian, but that was enough. In the beginning of the 2nd trimester i ate almost a whole pineapple to myself, i only stopped coz the acid burnt my tounge. So im just thinking, with the strong contraction pains i have been getting constantly, not coming and going like a norm contraction, could that have something to do with the pineapple i have eaten? And i can tell they are not BH's coz they come in a "wave".
    Ta, Jenni

LOL Caro,
    I have stopped eating pineapple since i posted, although i am still drinking pineapple juice. I am still getting those pains, im off for a checkup today so i will see what it is.

My understanding is that something about it sets your uterus off so could help bring on labour?

Ok, I am by no means sweet or innocent but I can't think of any rude AO connection to pineapple!

Can anyone explain it to me without having to go into great detail!

If a man eats lots of Pineapple it is meant to make his seman taste like pineapple.

Scorpiomum - Pineapple Juice is ok, it has to be fresh pineapple to hae any efect on Labour. Something to do with an enzyme (sp?) that is distroyed in the juicing/tinning process.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; November 29th, 2006 at 07:34 AM.

OH...I didn't expect that!

LOL, can only imagine wat you were expecting then lol.

kerry Guest

Further on the pineapple... It is a natural anti-histamine and is fantastic for hayfever relief. But this is just fresh pineapple.

Tests at the Botany Department (with the CSIRO) during the late 1990's found an enzyme in fresh pineapple that acts as a natural anti-histamine. Since then my dad and I have been having fresh pineapple every morning during the hayfever season and have not had hayfever since.

I also have some food allergies and sensitivities and while pg and unable to have antihistamine if I accidently had some naughty stuff I would get some fresh pineapple and while the effect wasn't as good as an anti-h I still got heaps of relief... then again it could all just be the placebo effect!

Here's more on the "To Pineapple Or Not To Pineapple' discussion:

"Eating pineapple
    Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain which is thought to help to soften the cervix and so bring on labour.
    Is it safe?
    There is very little available research. Each pineapple contains only very small amounts of bromelain so you would need to eat as many as seven to have any effect. The most likely side-effect of eating large amounts of pineapple would be a severe case of the runs.
    Does it work?
    There is some debate about the role played by bromelain on prostaglandins, which soften the cervix to prepare it for labour. Some studies actually suggest that bromelain inhibits prostaglandin activity while others think the opposite. Regardless of this, eating large quantities of pineapple is likely to stimulate the gut and bowel and, as with castor oil, could kick-start the uterus into action by that means.
    How do I try it?
    The pineapple must be fresh: bromelain is destroyed by the process of canning or juicing."

I think overall that, like other natural methods used to induce labour, it'll only work if you're ripe and ready anyhow and all that's needed is a little nudge. I tried 'em all but found the positional stuff - HEEEEAAAAAPs of walking, and pelvic tilts & circles on hands & knees is what did it for me - I think.

There's a website called "The 10 Month Mamas" - 43 weeks gestation is still totally normal for some mothers and babies, and chilling out and waiting for nature, (assuming the placenta and baby are fine - which will be the case in the vast majority of cases) & using the time to relax and prepare, still beats chemical induction in my opinion!

Some of the natural methods (did you hear the one about inserting Evening Primrose Oil gel capsules?) might seem a tad wacky - but still safer & preferable to drastic chemical measures, I reckon! Seems like induction esp for first time mums seems to start a domino effect of interventions.

Crumbs, I couldn't eat 7 pineapples!!!

Think I'll stick to the natural prostaglandin approach ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12