Thread: What was the first sign of labour for you?

Default What was the first sign of labour for you?

Just curious as to what was the first sign of labour for most people?

With James, I lost my mucus plug and 1/2hr later the contractions started.
    With Madeleine, I had strong contractions coming every 5 mins, which I knew were real and not BH... I guess I knew because I had done it before.

With Tyler I can't remember but with Paige I got woken up by really bad cramps and diarrhea(sorry tmi) then the contractions really kicked in.

Ellie

With both girls, in hindsight, I know I was restless and grumpy before I went in to labour. With Marieke (2nd) I had BH, PMS pain, and back ache for about a week before. But the first real sign for both of them was the show, which I noticed right about the same time that the contractions started. I never really had any "false alarms" - just the real thing, with contractions five minutes apart right from the start.

A little gush in bed then lots and lots and lots of fluid all over the floor. Couldn’t move for about 5 minutes! Contractions 1 ˝ hrs later, 26 hrs of not much happening, induced then emergency CS

With DD i was induced.

But with DS i had the contractions start first, coming every 10mins and then my waters broke 30mins later.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There is a poll on this, I will see if I can bump it! Contractions for both of mine, started in similar fashion, like period pain... got longer, stronger and closer together - then BABY!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Mine was a lower back ache that turned out to be the first contractions but at the time i didn't know what it was. My whole labour was back labour. Also a feeling of ickiness.

Actually, with Madeleine, I had been out to lunch earlier that day, and toward the afternoon, my friend (who was a mother of 4) turned to me and said, "you're going to have your baby tonight". I don't know why but I was apparently not myself and a bit vague... I got home at 4pm and contractions with Maddy started at 6pm... I had her at 12:55pm.

Kelly - I was wondering if there was some kind of poll, I was going to ask to make one but decided to start this thread instead.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

I lost my mucus plug with no 1 in the morning then mild contractions that night. With DS 2 I was induced!

my hindwaters broke in bed 6.30am tuesday, induced 9am wednesday, DD born 6.21pm that night. Felt small gush when rolling over in bed and limped to toilet with tissues between my legs!!

mooshie Guest

#1, day after due date and i went to bed feeling really really grumpy and just generally ****ed off with the whole world, lol. 3am waters broke, contractions started later that morning.

#2, 13 days overdue, lost my show early friday morning, then nothing happened. 4am the next morning i woke with severe cramps and the runs (sorry tmi) contractions then started off slowly every 1/2 hour until 7.00 am when they started at around 5 mins apart.

#3, induced

Percy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    #1, day after due date and i went to bed feeling really really grumpy and just generally ****ed off with the whole world, lol. 3am waters broke, contractions started later that morning.
    I've been in the foulest mood all day! I wonder if this might be a sign for me??!! Must keep in oful mood now - can't let this cheer me up!!!

Contractions every 6-7 mins....then always running to the loo!!! Baby came 24 hours later!

Lol Percy... I think I will be more excited when I am in a happy mood... I've seemed to be in a foul mood all the time over this last week.

With DD i lost the plug, the next morn my forewaters broke then i had her by 7am the next day.
    With DS i was induced.
    I have lost the plug with this one, almost a week ago, cervix 2cms dialated at front closed at back and really soft.... I wonder how long i will last? I woke with AF pains this morn...

Percy Guest

Well the foul mood didn't mean anything as I'm still here!!! Maybe today!!! *trying to be positive here!