Thread: What is going on!! Possible TMI

Unhappy What is going on!! Possible TMI

Hi all, just wanted to see if anyone can help me here and tell me what is going on with me!
    ok long list of things, but here goes. Im now 4 days overdue and not coping very well, its also my second baby, I was induced with DS1at 42weeks and didnt experience ANY of the things im going through now.... that said im having the following things....

4 weeks of pre labour, Contractions (deff not BH coz they dont stop if i move around, eat, drink) they keep stopping after a couple of hours, they are usually regular but not always and are starting to get very painful now to the point they are making me feel sick and i actually vomitted with them last night. Im getting no more then 3 hours sleep each night, my back and hips are killing me to the point i cant lift my legs properly anymore and rolling over in bed is excrutiating, My vagina is very swollen and puffy and there is an odd sensation down there, Im getting sharp pains and bad menstrual like acheyness deep inside my vagina, I have like really bad heavy period like pains and acheyness throughout my tummy, I have been told bub is big and when it moves around it hurts, There is a constant feeling of intense pressure down low in my pelvis and i pee every 5 mins and when im not peeing i feel like i need too, it kinda feels like bub is pushing hard on my cervix but just cant seem to break my waters, im also having strange sensations in my anus, and frequent bouts of diahorrea, Im also getting small amounts of spotting and this morning there is a slight burning sensation in my vagina and its very swollen and tender but more uncomfortable then actually painful.

After a fall at 37 weeks i spent 3 days in hospital and when they did an internal they said bub was very engaged and my cervix was soft but without dialation, and my mucous plug was well and truly gone.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? is my cervix dialating? is this stuff just all normal and i just have to put up with it?
    Its seriously starting to get to me and im feeling very high strung and emotional to the point i have burst into tears over it several times over the past few days, I feel like i mentally just cant do pregnancy anymore and the hospital just wont do anything about it...
    Mel

Hey hun,
    I dont have any advice for you at all, I just wanted to send you some massive hugs, and to say sorry that your having such a tough time. At least you know that it shouldnt be that long before bubs arrives now.. Have you rung your midwife or the hosptial and mentioned what is going on? or maybe if they arnt very helpful try nurse on call??

Hopefully someone with some helpfull advice will reply to you soon xxxx

Oh my darling, you sound absolutely miserable!!! {{{{hug}}}}

Yes, this is all normal. It's something called prodromal labour, it can go on for days and days, and often it is about getting your baby into an optimal position for birth. Once the baby's head is in a good position, your cervix will begin to dilate more effectively. Can I recommend some clary sage baths, some meditation, and lots of time spent rocking, and on your hands and knees? I spent the last two days of my last pregnancy leaning over the couch swaying my hips, getting the baby to move out of a posterior position.

You must be feeling exhausted... but the good news is, often an emotional melt down can pressage the onset of labour. Just nap when you can, and try to find someone sympathetic to talk to about your fears, anxieties, unspoken qualms about birth and parenthood... sometimes I reckon holding back emotionally just slows our bodies down from giving in to labour totally!!

Oh you poor thing!
    I tend to agree with Toomanytoomany - once your bub gets into an optimal position, the effect of babies head coming into contact with your cervix should be for it to dilate.

Have a look at the spinning babies site too for info on optimal positioning - its not just about turning breech babies.

It your baby is posterior theres also a couple of things you can do yourself, in labour, to get them to turn, that arent in any way dangerous to you or bub.

Just wanted to give you my sympathy. We'll both be on the other side soon enough!

Thankyou everyone for your replies, They did a mini ultrasound last wednesday at the hospital and the doc said bub is in the right position and ready to go, he also said i wouldnt make it till the weekend but hey its now tuesday and im still waiting.

I have tried as many of the natural induction methods as i can, im a bit hesitant about inserting evening primrose oil caps though, and docs have suggested against baths, why im not sure, maybe because im strepB? Im also high risk due to PCOS and DS1 had a bad heart and i had a bad 3 day labour with him after being induced 3 times (cervidil x2 and then the drip). I seem to have a lot of trouble dialating it took 2 1/2 days to get to 2cm last time but once i hit 2cm i go pretty quickly 5hrs after we got past 2cm he was born.
    I have another clinic appointment tomorrow and im going to demand they induce me and get things moving and if they wont, then at least do a stretch and sweep. im concerned about infection, and seeing as i have a bit of a burning sensation today it has me even more concerned.
    Mel

I have no advice for you but just wanted to give you a

Hope it's not too much longer.

I would say the bath thing must be strep B, its the only reason I can think of that they would advise you against baths.
    Would you consider reflexology or accupuncture - there are some labour/induction points that can be quite successful?
    If you or they are worried about infection they may not want to do a S&S, or the EPO but is it worth ringing to ask? I wouldnt wait til tomorrow when you are in this much discomfort.

If you are strep b positive and you are worried aboutinfection, I'd be reluctant to recommend induction, because that means your waters will be broken before labour starts probably, and you've a higher chance of them being broken for a longer period, which increases the risk of cross infection with the strep B. A s&s might be a good idea, though. For the sake of putting up with a few more days of feeling like crud, you might be more likely to get a shorter labour more like what you want, if you allow your body to labour spontaneously. How your body responds to an induction isn't really a good indication of how it will respond to a spontaneous labour where your body is absolutely ready to go!

will they necessarily break waters for induction though - just asking cos it didnt happen when I was induced - is it a common way to go about things?
    I had one lot of gel, and waters WERE broken but not until maybe 14 hours later when I was pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray View Post
    will they necessarily break waters for induction though - just asking cos it didnt happen when I was induced - is it a common way to go about things?
    I had one lot of gel, and waters WERE broken but not until maybe 14 hours later when I was pushing.
    If she's lost her plug and effacing already, they won't use the gel most likely - the usual run of things at term is an amniotomy to see if things kick off, and then syntocinon if they don't. And with the strep B issue, there'll be foot tapping if things don't happen on schedule.

I highly recommended acupuncture. In pregnancy I found it a great way to relax generally and it is often recommended as a natural induction method. If that doesn't appeal to you is a massage a possibility. If you can find someone in your area who does pregnancy massage there is no reason for you to lay down. They can rub you back, feet etc while you sit, I even had a back massage leaning over a bean bag on the floor at 39 weeks, very relaxing.

Is there anyway you get some time to yourself to do something that you find relaxing like a movie at home alone or something else. You sound pretty stressed and over the whole thing (which is fair enough you have done great) so I am just thinking along the lines of trying to de-stress as best you are able.

I hope things happen soon, by all accounts I would defiantly say you have been in pre-labour for a while now, I hope it happens soon and all goes well for you honey.

I have to agree here, your body is getting ready. I really don't want to make you feel any worse, but I must be honest and I have gone through 2 weeks of this. also, I know the idea of having your waters broken to speed things up might sound nice, but a nice secret I learnt is to hold onto it for as long as possible. Contractions are worse after it is broken.

On the flip side, I know it feels so horrible and miserable now, but one of the most amazing things about our body and the way it works with having babies is if you just go through the motions and let it happen by itself from start to finish, after it is over, you feel amazingly at ease about the whole situation. It really is the most amazing thing.

You can get through it! Its what we do. Its why we really are the stronger sex.

Hiya,

My suggestion is possibly the LAST thing on earth you feel like doing but when I was overdue and nothing was happening but feeling absolutely dreadful DH and I DTD and within 45 min I was contracting and was 8cm dilated, raced to the hospital DD was born 3 hrs and 45 min after DTD.
    Admittedly it wasn't done to rock our worlds but very gently to bring on labour, desperation calls for desperate measures.
    Just a suggestion, I wish you all the best, Missy

I am having exactly the same symptoms etc as you sweet, everything except the spotting.
    I was also induced with DD, and like you it was a 3 day journey.
    I know for certain that bubs is posterior though, and have a feeling that I won't go naturally.
    Let us know how you go, I am (literally) feeling your pain!

Any chance that some of the burning and pain you are experiencing is a vaginal yeast infection? Those are pretty common in pregnancy, and not too much fun. But easy enough to treat, provided you have your doctors OK on it. You can get creams OTC for it. But since you are so close to delivery, I would definitely ask your doctor before trying any kind of treatment.
    Sounds like your body is really warming up for labour. Horrible as it can be to go through, you are getting close to the end. Hang in there - it really won't be too much longer. And hopefully all this pre-labour stuff will have your baby in a great position for a quick, complication-free labour! All the best!