Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens in the days after a vaginal birth?

Default What happens in the days after a vaginal birth?

Ok this is going to sound a bit goofy, but I'm wondering in the days after a vaginal birth when you're still in hospital do your bits get checked often? I'm finishing off packing my bag today & I thought my overalls would be great, but was wondering if it'd be too much hassle with people needing to check things. Is it a case of only needing checks if you have stitches?? With Zander they checked my c/s wound at least once a day, sometimes twice so it would have been a hassle. I wondered if it would be the same with checks every day?

You sometimes have checks depending on clotting, or how your uterus feels (external checking) and it also depends on how much lochia you have. Yes tearing can come into it, but I had a few checks in the first 24 hours due to the bloodloss and the size of the clots I had. I think I wore skirts, and trackies for the first few days.

Sarah, yep, they check if you have stiches - otherwise they just ask you to report any clots that you pass (I imagine that's the same for c/s anyway). I have to say that "after" a vaginal birth with no epidural, is so much better than after one with - you can get up straight away, there's no pain, you feel fantastic!

So sounds like the overalls might be best left til after I get home. Not a problem my trackies will get packed instead Thanks guys.

I had stitches after Livvy's birth and my stitches weren't checked as I was comfortable, my uterus checks were normal (external),my loss was okay and my stitches were comfortable. It is best to be prepared plus trackies will be more comfortable than overalls if you do end up with stitches.

I had stitches both times and never got checked. They never even asked me how they were

I had stiches & no checks whilst in the hospital.

I remember them checking once or twice in the first 12 hours or so but not after that. I just had a small tear, didn't need stitching.

DoubleK Guest

sarah you must be excited!

i didnt have any stitches, and no checks done. they often felt my uterus, but that was about it. i also remember them constantly asking if i needed any pain relief(this was in the days after i had given birth) i kept saying 'yes!!! please!! i have a horrible toothache!' but no pain or anything associated with having given birth.

I had stitches, and they were checked at least once a day until I left the hossy. I agree that trackies will be more comfy anyway!

LOL at the toothache Rach!

i lived in my trackies. I had stitches and they checked them 2 maybe 3 times. They checked just before i left to go home. I had an abscess that got really bad after i have birth and was making me sick and that took more effort to get looked at than stitches.

I'd recommend trackies too! I was lucky and didn't have stitches either time and was never checked. They asked numerous times a day (too numerous for my liking!) about blood loss etc but that was it. I actually asked a midwife to have a look at my bum after DD was born because I was pushing for over 2 hours with her and things were a bit...not right! LOL. Was just a bit of swelling which settled in a day or two (sorry, way TMI!) But that was it. I only stayed overnight with DS so didn't have time for any of that really.

i had a few checks a day due to swelling +++, stitches and a haemotoma!!! fun fun fun ,then again both times the dom's midwife came to my house for mum/bub checks

i would think overalls would be a bit awkward with bfing as well??

I never had any checks of my stitches etc until after I went home and the home visit midwife had a look. Then again I went home within 24 hours of having Yasin so they didn't have much time to check.

No one checked my bits after any of my (3) vaginal births. I never tore or had stitches though. They ask you about your blood loss, whether you have done much wee or passed your first bowel movement (this is one they seemed to focus on more than anything... I never expected to feel so nervous doing a poo before but it was kinda nerve wracking LOL). As a part of my discharge check-up they pressed my tummy quite firmly over my uterus area to see how well it had retracted (mine was always good so no further questions). I wore roomy Peter Alexander flannie drawstring PJ pants (dark red/orange/brown floral pattern good for hiding the odd stain) the day after birth and black trackies on departure. I lived in my PJ's when i got home for the first week. It was a conscious decision which served as a visual reminder that I was feeling fragile and that I was BABYMOONING ie "please don't ask me to get up and make you a cup of tea or pop a load of washing on... I need to REST".

ETA: On the whole I was always amazed at how well my bits returned to normal so quickly after birth
    Last edited by Bathsheba; April 27th, 2008 at 08:54 PM.

I had an episiotomy and stitches and mine werent checked while at hospital. A midwife who came to my house once i was home did check them only because i thought they were coming undone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast