Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should the cervix feel like?

Default What should the cervix feel like?

Ok, I having been checking things out & was curious as to what your cervix should actually feel like at this stage of pg? Mine sort of feels like a big squishy coulie(sp?) flower. Is that normal?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

A soft cervix is good
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I figured it was a good thing, just not sure what exactly it should feel like. I am only use to feeling this nice little circle. But this was just a big mushy mess! LOL Hate to see what it looks like!

A big fluffy donut
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Your cervix is normally posterior but moves forward as you get closer to the start of labour. So just being able to feel your cervix with a big tummy is a good sign. Feeling mushy is also a good sign. Normally your cervix will feel a little like the tip of your nose, but as labour approaches it starts to feel more like your ear lobe.

Kirsty77 Guest

How can you even reach Fiona!LOL! I think I'd pull a muscle trying to reach it!

I can reach but I tell ya, I couldn't hold that position for long! I wouldn't describe it like my ear lobe. its more mushy then that. Feel more like a heap of soft squishy skin thats all folded up on its self. I will have to have another feel & just make sure it is the cervix I am feeling. I am pretty sure it is, I can feel what I think is the opening in the centre. But its not a tidy soft ring, it really feels to me like it would look like a mess of mush.

tiggy Guest

Don't forget that if you have had more than one baby, your cervix will feel different from a lady who hasn't given birth vaginally yet.
    I would expect your cervix to feel softer than a primiperous woman's FJ.
    The girls (and Alan) are right though, the fact that you can feel it is a great sign - it must have moved forward - a sign that things are starting to move along.

primiperous
    I had to look up what that word means! lol

tiggy Guest

LOL, sorry

I dunno what I am feeling now. I had another feel last night & I can only reach as far as this mushy bit. But I am strating to wonder if the cervix is beyond this point. I know what my cervix felt like before I was PG ( the tip of your nose like Alan said). It seems to be the right stop etc But I dunno.... Should probably stop poking around up there anyway I guess.

I have a midwife appointment tonight, I might asker her. Dunno if I want her to have a feel though.

FJ
    There are lots of mushy bits in there. If you can feel your cervix it should feel donut shaped. You may also be able to feel a small hole in the middle.
    Poking around in there is OK providing that your hands are very clean, your waters have not broken, Oh and make sure that you close the curtains.
    Last edited by Alan; October 19th, 2006 at 10:31 AM.

LOL Alan!!!!
    Kelly xx

PMSL!!! See thats the thing, i can feel a s smallish hole (I am sure if I could stretch a bit further I could put my finger through it. Not that its open as such just very soft. Come to think of it, I doubt even if I could stretch further to reach, I couldn't anyway because its right at the tip of my finger & my finger is as far as I can get it, with out putting the rest in to get my hand up there! LOL & I would hate to get stuck like that so I don't think I wanna try LOL.

That sounds like your cervix to me.
    Just had a mental pic of you stuck in that position. It would give the ambo's something to talk about

LMAO, Yeah Fiona. Don't think you'd be wanting to get stuck like that hun.

I too could reach mine in the later stages of pg and it did feel like a little squishy hole, within another squishy hole (perhaps not as little though)

Lots pf LV's to you hun. Hopefully you get your wish and go over the weekend

Well the midwife last night wasn't my usual one so I didn't feel comfortable asking her to feel & tell me if it is what I am feeling. But she did say that bubs is 4/5ths down & nice & small. Said she will send me for a scan if I go over to next thursday. She only messured me to be 37 weeks. But I messured behind with the first 2 as well so its not something I am concerned about.

And yes, I can just see how I would be an interesting topic for the ambo's! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast