Thread: What and when to pack

Default What and when to pack

Ok I know it is very early but we are leaving soon for a hoiday (month and a half) so i thought I should at least consider what I am going to need, when I had DS I didn't get around to really packing a bag and had to send DH home for some stuff = house was trashed, didn't find everything and nearly missed the birth :-)

OK so I am going to a private hospital and I'm pretty sure they supply clothes and nappies for bub while we are there. The hospital I stayed at with DS also supplied maternity pads (not like the horrible ones you sit on but the real ones) Is this standard or was I just lucky. They also supplied icepacks for those tender parts - is that normal or should I get some iceblocks for freezing.
    Has anyone tried those disposable underpants and how did you find them?
    One more question, my first labour was very quick and I didn't have time to use anything like lip balm socks etc - what are the things you most needed in the birthing suite.
    Oh and most important - when did you pack???

thanks

My bag has been half packed since 27wks but i only have stuff in it for a short stay and not for when i have the baby. I still need to buy the odd thing but keep forgetting.

I'm pretty sure that they give you a small packet of nappies and maternity pads and then when you finish them you have to use your own. I'm also pretty sure that they give you clothes for bubs which is good because then they clean them. I always dressed mine in our clothes though, i'd had them new for months and was desperate to see them on! My poor kids have always been sustitute barbie dolls though and sometimes I change DD twice a day just so I can see her in her cute outfits!

I've had my bag packed since around 28 weeks. I suddenly had an urge to get organised and make lists etc, also it's good so you know what you need to get - good luck

OK so maybe I wasn't thinking about this too early. i think I am in denial as to how close we are to the end (remind me I said that when I'm 2 wks overdue :-)

On that note is there anything special maybe I should pack in case I have bub's while on holiday? what sort of things did you take in the delivery room ie heat packs etc
    I suppose I should take bub's going home outfit just in case.

With my first baby I was packed and ready to go at about 32 weeks - I think, lol. But I must have unpacked and repacked it almost every day,

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Article on the BellyBelly website http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Kelly just what I was looking for!

I found I didn't want anything except my gatorade (or was it lucozade or poweraide?!) and my water. I packed my fave lollies but didn't feel like them.
    It also would depend on when you plan on going into the hospital...at the first signs of contractions or are you going to stay at home as long as you can?
    I headed in right at the end so didn't really care for lipgloss etc. Your birth partners might want some stuff though....so remember them!
    I had three separate bags packed, one for labour/birth, one for recovery and one for baby.

Yep I didn't touch anything in my labour bag but the poweraide... but DH used some instant cup o'noodles & the chocolate energy bars I packed for him. We left the hospital bag & the baby's bag in the car during labour & came back for them once we went into our room.

Oh, and with the poweraide/gato/lucoz - I drank mine exclusively for the last four or so hours (maybe a mouthful of water here and there) so I didn't pee for AGES after the birth as these drinks dehydrated me (or something did..)....which meant I had to keep my stupid strep b bung in my hand until I did pee and the nurses had tested it....very annoying.
    Sorry for the tangent/hijacking of thread..

Thanks I'll have to remember the poweraide. i didn't even think of drinking anything last time as it went so fast!

Saram,
    I am packing my bag this week, well finishing it off. It has been half packed for about 2 weeks, just have bubbas clothes in there, got to get my clothes, nappies, pads, etc. I hope you enjoy your holiday...
    Jenni

take your own loo paper nice soft stuff it feels better than the hospital stuff.

good luck with the birth.

adele

I keep wondering if I should pack some stuff, and I'm only six and a bit months! I don't keep track of the weeks very well... Also wondering about packing, just to get it out of the way!
    Speaking of energy drinks and such to include, does anyone know of this sort of drink that doesn't have much (or any preferably!) citric acid? It makes me sick, and I have had enough of drinking just water. No cordial. No juice. Nada. Zip. Nothing. Well, maybe I will finally be over feeling sick by the time of the birth, and actally enjoy a drink of something with flavour.
    Sorry for also hijacking this thread.