Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I am due on 16th September, a week from today, and my OB has told me he is going away for 2 weeks, 4 days after my due date.

If I have not gone into labour by the 16th, I have 2 choices:

1) I can be induced by my own OB next weekend, or

2) leave it and hopefully go into natural labour, but then have it delivered by his 'fill-in' while he is away - I know this dr's name so it wouldn't be just 'anyone', but I have never met him and would be unlikely to meet him before the birth.

My pregnancy has been uncomplicated so far, the only different thing about it is that I am GBS positive.

I would love to hear what some of you would do in my situation?

Thanks
    Pearl

This is one thing about OB's that make me very very annoyed! They SHOULD tell you about such things on the FIRST appt they have with you. That way you can decide then and there if you would like to stay with that obstetrician even if they are away, or go to someone who will be with you throughout the pregnancy and at the birth too.

My OB made a point of telling me at my first appt when his holidays were and apparently if you were to book him around that time you would be told by his receptionist or a midwife when calling to book in with him first. I think its just respectful, I mean you wouldn't pay someone to come and redecorate your house, they come out take samples look around work with you for months, then when it finally comes to the crunch they say "sorry I'm going on holidays, but we have worked with another company before so I'll get them to finish the job" You'd be mortified and very unhappy! I know I would!

But having had my whinge, in most births it really doesn't matter unless there are complications and you have previous things discussed with your OB that the stand in might not be aware of. For example in my case because I am having a VBAC I think I would freak if at the last minute I was told my OB wouldn't be present. I have known a few people who's ob's haven't been around for the birth and it ended up being fine. I guess it just depends if you want an induction or not...

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks for your replies girls.

Kate10 it's good to hear from someone else in the same position ... hopefully I will go into labour before he goes away anyway and not have to worry like you! But I don't think it is going to happen somehow. I wish we had a week too, 4 days is just an awkward amount of time.

Cailin I was very :evil: :mad: :shock: to begin with !!! He told me at 35 weeks he was going away for a week. The next appt at 36 weeks it had magically turned into 2 weeks. Grrrr...I think I deserve a discount!

Anyway I think I am going to not be induced beforehand and see the fill-in. It will be annoying if I end up having to be induced anyway, but at least I will have given my baby as much chance as possible of coming out by him or herself.

Pearl

oh Pearl I hope everything happens naturally for you before the 20th!!

This also happened to me. My OB was going away on my due date. My waters broke a week before I was due but my Ob was away that weekend too. I was happy with the fill in Ob who looked after me during the day but my Ob was back on in time to do an emergency caesarean which I was happy with. I posted the same question as you a while ago. Good luck.

Debbie Lee Guest

Pearl - What a pain in the bum! Sending some labour vibes your way!

My ob happened to be on holidays when I went into labour 2 weeks early with my first bub - but the good thing was, the ob from the same practise who delivered my baby was absolutely fantastic!

I guess a comforting thing is you can expect a very similar level of care from obs who work in the same practice.

Good vibes to you whichever ob delivers your baby!

Hate to say it, but I would be very surprised if you miss your OB anyway. The midwives do such a great job, and they really only need a Dr if thigns are out of the ordinary.

LVs to you, heres hoping they are are easy LVs and you dont really need the OB anyway!!

Fi

Sending more labour vibes your way. My OB still has his dates up for the hollidays he took this year but no dates for next year yet.

Pearl, that by accident happened to me, coz I went 5 weeks early and the Dr that ended up delivering my DD was unreal and I ended up going through him again for my next pregnancy- sorry not your question answered really but- considering you only have a week to go and I assume you like your DR/OB, mt opinion would be either get induced and have bubba 1 week early coz they're well and truly ready to come, or try everything under the sun to try to go into labor. eg: eat spicy food, have sex, walk heaps,(only if you can that is ).

Good Luck sweety.xx O

Thanks for all your replies girls and the LVs!!! I hope s/he comes before the 20th toooo!!!

Nadia, Gemma, Berry - I am glad you guys were happy with your fill-in OBs & hope it's a good omen for mine [-o< ... I'm sure it will be fine.

I just keep waking up in the night thinking that my OB will go away and forget about me, and forget to 'hand over' my info to the new one so no one knows about me (as if :roll and meantime I am still lugging around my huge belly ... :-({|=

But THANK you all for your re-assurances ... I do know the above is just a silly paranoid worry.

You're all lovely and keep those LVs coming !!!

Pearl

Ok you asked... LOL

If it were me... I would leave it up to mother nature. I have been induced with DD #1 and laboured naturally with DD#2 and I can say that induction isn't nice and more often than not leads to further intervention.

I was induced due to serious pre-eclampsia. In my opinion I don't see why anyone would want to be induced unless it was for medical reasons. Especially just so you could have your doctor there.

Frankly, I didn't give a hoot about the doctor that was there for all of 5 minutes. I was focused on my wonderful midwives who were with me from the beginning and who I built up a trust and rapport with. The doctor was a fleeting memory but my midwives are with me forever

I don't blame you for being angry at him. PAH!

Hi ...,

My scenario was a bit different I guess as I was a public patient and only saw an ob as I thought it was 'the thing to do'. Looking back, although he is a great ob, probably was a waste of money. At Aidan's birth I only ever had midwives (one in particular was AWESOME), and I can vaguely remember seeing a doctor right at the end, I think he was there for about 1 minute, not even sure why to this day. I did spend some 'quality' time with a rather spunky young doctor as I tore pretty bad, and he seemed to do a good job. heehee. It still makes me laugh, my legs spread far and wide, and this really cute doctor sewing me up (sorry, way TMI!!), and my husband sitting next to me cuddling Aidan!!!

Personally for me, next time, I plan on midwife care only at my local public hospital, it helps that it's brand new and my neighbour is a midwife there...

Hope that helps.

Jess

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Pearl,

The girls have said it all but well done on giving your baby the best chance he / she has at coming on their own. =D> =D> Inductions are not nice and after my first, there was no way that was happening again unless it was life threatening!

I missed my Ob both times and the midwives were there with Marisa and with Elijah the fill-in Ob was lucky to be there too. Birth is a very natural, normal process, so trust your body and baby to do what it needs to, as hard as it is with all the scaremongering that goes on these days. You will both be safe - midwives will give your baby the best chance to come and will tell you if they think it's time to call the Ob in - obviously with the Obs there only for the actual pushing / birth stage.

I actually know someone who was told that they would have a caeser unless they booked in an induction with them (they were not going to be available for some time after the birth) and guess what - he was never at the birth anyway and a registrar was.

The effects and potential outcomes of a social induction aren't worth for me - you can read more about it in the article 'Ecstatic Birth' by Dr Sarah Buckley on the main site - http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth - there is a section on inductions in that article.

All the best for a wonderful birth!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kell, Pearl has had her little boy, here is her post if you`d like to read it http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14469

Congratulations Pearl

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Der @ me LOL Serves me right for not keeping up Thanks Dee
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.