Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite birth affirmations

Default What are your favourite birth affirmations

I am putting together a list of birth affirmations to use before and during my labour and i was wondering if anyone would like to share some of their favourites with me. I plan to use them during contractions as something to focus on.

i'm trying to remember the ones on the wall of the birth suite i work at...

one that i like is: "I can feel my body opening and blooming like a flower"

These are the ones I wrote for us and also sent to my SIL overseas for her birth!!

This is the beginning of our journey
    I can trust and go with it
    I am ready to meet my baby
    My body knows what to do
    I am ready to give birth and I will see my baby soon
    I am safe and there is nothing to be afraid of
    My body is designed to birth this baby
    Birth is normal Birth is ecstatic Birth is safe
    My baby knows how to be born
    My baby’s birth is a calm, joyous experience
    Each part of my body is completely relaxed, allowing easy passage of my baby
    I relax through each stretching sensation, allowing my uterus to work efficiently
    I am safe and my baby is safe when the sensations are strong
    I trust my body to know how to birth this baby
    I trust my instincts to know what I need in labour
    I am a strong and capable woman
    My body is beautifully and wonderfully made
    I trust my body, my pain, my labour and my baby
    I am a powerful, loving and creative being
    I am now willing to experience all my feelings
    My pelvis releases and opens as have those of countless women before me
    I now feel inner peace and serenity
    I love and accept my body completely
    I feel the love of others around me
    My baby knows all is well
    Good strong contractions help my baby come into the world
    I embrace the concept of healthy pain
    I am strong, confident assured, assertive and very feminine
    My body contains all the knowledge necessary to give birth to my baby

Whats the one that Tanya once said? The pain is not greater than you because it is you? Something like that.

I had these pinned up in my bathroom and said them outloud every morning and night right up until I left for the hospital....

I am ready and prepared for childbirth
    My baby will find the perfect position for birth
    Birth is a safe and wonderful experience
    I will give birth without complications
    I am not afraid
    My baby’s birth will come quickly and easily
    I trust my body
    I trust the intensity
    I trust my labour
    I trust in my baby
    I surrender to each contraction as it brings my baby closer to me
    My body has a wide open space for my baby to descend
    The power and intensity of my contractions cannot be stronger than me, because it is me
    I will have the birth I desire

I used and loved this one!
    Im opening up in deep surrender to the beautiful baby in my womb :-)

good luck x

smiles4u Guest

Smile

During my pregnancy every single morning whilst i was in the shower i would rub my wet belly and sound more like i was singing it rather than say it - " Mummy's beautiful baby " ... and when my DD was born and she looked up at me i said the very same thing to her as if it was something familiar to her in the world outside the womb

When i was in labour at home i kept telling myself women all over the world for millions of years have done just what i'm about to do and that i could DO IT !!

... also i would say out loud to myself during labour " Come on *my name* YOU CAN DO IT ", i was my own cheers squad, LOL and it worked wonders

I expected the worst pain when it came to the contractions and anything LESS was a BONUS !!!

Now after having giving birth i have a new affirmation " Have FAITH in your body, it's amazing how powewrful it is and that it knows what buttons to push when it has never done it before "

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming!

I was wondering, for those who used affirmations during their labour how did you go about using them? e.g. did you read them during contractions, did you try and memorise them, did you listen to them on a cd etc.

Ooh, I'll definitely try to use some of these!

I can see myself now, yelling at PZ to jump on BB and find this thread so we can chant/yell/grunt them

I found because I'd read mine atleast twice a day (pinned up in the ensuite and we all know how many times a day we pee when pregnant) I had alot of them memorised - DH too so he reminded me of some of them. I also had a couple printed out on A4 paper to stick up in the birth suite but didn't end up getting them out as it all went pretty quickly. I did have a hypnobirthing CD on my ipod that had a session of labour affirmations that I listened to a few times when labouring at home.

one of the ones i saw in a calmbirth one that really hit home for me was: surrender and open: it's just the pressure of baby coming (she was referring to the contractions). basic, but kinda also has given me a good visualisation to use of surrendering and 'opening up'.

man, i have a few to write up and stick on my bathroom mirror now!!

Mine was simple, but it was all I needed to pull me through

At the start of a contraction I let myself get really relaxed the breathed in and out s l o w l y (can't emphasise this enough) then simply said "open, down, out"

Oh and as corny as it sounds, get your hands on a copy of "25 ways to awaken your birth power" - I listened to that when I hit transition - and it was bloody awesome

Actually Mummato2 you just made me realise the affirmation I used the most was the one I didn't pre-plan, and that was saying over and over to myself 'down baby down, open cervix open' during each contraction for a few hours at home

I didn't have set affirmations but while I was in labour I said to myself, "The pain is good, the pain is natural, my body is working perfectly" and as things progressed, I kept reminding myself to "surrender to the pain, relax into it".

Mine was, "Embrace the pain."

I'd been talking to my good friend about labour and she was telling me that her mum said to tell me that the pain is a good thing because it means that you're body is doing what it should be and that it won't last forever.

so wish I had these for ds' birth! I'll use them this time round!

During pg, I think it was things like "my body is able to birth my baby naturally", or "my body knows what to do to birth my baby safely"

Once my waters broke but no signs of contractions, I think I was thinking along the lines of "open, down and out" and visuallising my cervix opening, and the baby making progress down the birth canal.

During labour, in the shower as things really got going, I was breathing the pain down the plug hole with the water and saying "pain away"

When you're in labour, don't let any doubt sneak in and if it does, give yourself a quick mental talking to. I remember as I was stood leaning on the windowsill in the ward above L&D, I could hear a lady below in the pushing stages, and I freaked out, because DD was 2.5hours of pushing, and just hearing that women, I thought I can't do that again. But I quickly told myself that I did it with DD, who was posterior so would be able to do it again.

ETA: keep them simple, and once you've got a couple you like, stick with them, and that way you don't need to write them down.
    Last edited by SammyRo; July 28th, 2010 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast