Thread: When is an elective c/s done?

Question When is an elective c/s done?

Hi guys, just thought of a few questions...

I just wondered how early is an elective c/s performed? I've heard it's up to 2 weeks, but what happens if your dates are wrong, the bub could end up being quite prem?

Is it done early so the mum doesn't go into labour naturally & it turn ito an emergency c/s or is it more of a case that it's easier to do it with a smaller bub?

Can I request it to be done closer to my due date? I went over last time, should I have c/s booked for closer to my due date with this in mind?

I'm thinking of all my options at the moment with regards to a birth plan for our next bub (nope not pregnant yet ), but I am starting my research into making my next c/s as gentle as humanly possible.

Melinda Guest

I asked my OB about this a while ago and he said that our little one would be born at about 38w. I believe it is so that you don't go into labour and wind up having an emergency one, but I'm not 100% on that. But it makes sense that would be the reason.

I'd say when the time comes, to talk to your OB or care provider about your wishes to have the c/s closer to your EDD and get his/her opinion and then work from there. You should be able to have a say in it.

As for the baby being prem, I guess it's possible, but I'd say unlikely as most people have scans etc to determine an EDD and even though u/s can be notoriously inaccurate, they are still somewhat of a guide I suppose??

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

My understanding is that 38wks is classed as 'fullterm' and earliest most OB's will do non emergency /elective c/s for whatever reasons (singletons) but they will do them later - one of twin mums OB didn't do hers till 38wk 6days.

With those who have other risk factors PE or GD etc they might do earlier.I have heard if you do go into labour when you are booked for elective c/s @38wks or so they won't stop labour -just do c/s anyway -most bubs born at 36wks do just as well - just they might go to nursery for a few days.

They would be fairly sure of the dates though -going by either LMP or an early dating scan or even 12wk scan - later scans are not as accurate - bubs are individual and many different weights / lengths. So wouldn't be prem usually.

When i was pg with Alex i was booked in for an elective c-section at 38 weeks they don't like doing them before 38 weeks. I did even ask to bring it forward by a couple of days but they still said no. But in the end i had Alex early anyway.

Hi Sarah, not totally sure of the reason it's done early, but I think it could be as Melinda said, so it prevents an emergency c/s needing to be done.

I am actually getting the date for mine on Friday (they won't book it at my hospital until you're 36 weeks) and have been told that it'll be sometime between 38-39 weeks. I'll ask about it at the appointment.

my friend is about to have her elect c/sect in 2 weeks, and she will be 39wks when they do it.

Love

Sarah,
    mine was actually done at 37 weeks only to coninside with another procedure needing to be done..the paed classified Eliza as just short of full term as they do at 38 weeks. You will find most obst have scheduled theatre times so you may get a say in the week but not necessary the day of the week. I think they prefer you to about 38-39 weeks
    Bec

I had this discussion with my ob, he said that if i decide to go with an elective c-section this time around it would be done anywhere between 38/40 weeks, i would rather go closer to my due date too so he said that shouldn't be a problem

mel79 Guest

Sarah,
    Hi i had an elective c-section with my first i had it done when i was 38 weeks and about 3 days they didnt want to do it any earlier or much later so i guess thats my experience any way

Generally it is at full term, around 38-40. First one was scheduled at 38wks, but my waters broke two days before it. Second one is scheduled at 39 wks. HTH

Sarah, early on in my pregnancy with Joshua, my OB and I discussed the possibility of an elective c-section. We were waiting to see how the PG progressed before making a decision as to whether we would go with the elective c-sec or try a VBAC. Ultimately the decision was taken out of our hands, but he had said that if I went with an elective c-section, he would probably do it around 39 weeks. So, based on that, I would guess that you could leave it a little closer to your due date if that was what you wanted...

Mine was only done 4 days earlier than my due date.
    On the other hand, my obst was confident that i wouldn't be going into labour even 10 weeks later since my pelvis never widens enough for my babies to engage.

Debbie Lee Guest

Sarah - thanks for asking those questions! I was wondering the same thing. I too don't want to have a c/s until closer to my EDD (being that Gabby probably would have gone wayyyy over her EDD had she been left to her own devices... she wasn't even engaged when they induced me). So yeah... will be interesting to find out if it can be done. I really, really want to avoid the next bub having to go into special care because I don't want a repeat of what happened with Gab (though I'll be putting my foot down if they try to take the baby away because they are short-staffed... stiff cheddar to them!!).

Bummer, I thought you were pg, Sarah.... well hopefully soon then.