Thread: When? and how long????? lol

Cant_wait_for_my_grandbab Guest

Default When? and how long????? lol

Hi all,
    I am about to become a 1st time grandma and my daughter is worrying me 8-[
    She is 38 weeks gestation and today she rang me to say that the babies head was not engaging :shock: and she was asking me what can she do to remedy this :shock: :shock:
    Never having this problem myself with 3 babies, I am at a loss to tell her what to do??? This is her 1st pregnancy, she's scared, i'm scared and what makes it worse is she is in Bendigo and i'm in QLD .
    Now, here comes the 2nd part of the long post lol.
    How long "normally" is a 1st labour? With my girl, I was in labour for 23 hours, I just need enough time to get on a plane, fly to Melb then hike it to Bendigo, about 4 hrs once in the air and on the road. I hope I make it in time as she wants me to cut the cord :smt055 and being my 1st grandbaby, I want to be there for her and this very new experience she is about to undertake . Sorry for being so long winded with this post.

I remember my first pregnancy I was told to scrub the floors by hand so to speak as the position helps babies engage. It worked too.

As for the length of labour i think the average first labour is around 12 hours but of course can be much shorter or longer.

Good luck on being a new grandma you sound so pleased about it..

Congratulations to your daughter and you on the upcoming birth. My 1st labour was 3hrs and 20mins lol 8-[ Can you visit a week prior to when she is due so that way you are already in Melbourne ?

I can't help you with the baby not engaging as I never had that problem either, but I know a couple of the girls on this forum have.

Love

Hi there!

I just wanted to welcome you to BellyBelly. Unfortunately I can't help you out with either of your questions - I still have a fair way to go myself LOL!! I'm sure lots of other people will be able to help you out though.

Congrats on having your 1st granchild on the way!

Thanks for the warm welcome
    I would love to be in Bendigo leading up to the birth, but unfortunately, I also have a 9 yr old and a 4 yr old here at home and a full time job!!, so taking that much time away from QLD is not practical :smt022 .
    I am 36 yrs old, becca was my first born, we have had a lot of hard times due to being 16 when she was delivered, but I adore her and would feel like I am letting her down if I cannot make it
    I sent her to Bendigo to save her from an abusive partner, and it broke my heart to send my baby so far away, but at least I know she is safe . She wants to come home to QLD, but as she is in the late stages of this pregnancy, she cannot travel, but as soon as she has recovered from the birth, I'm bringing my girl home :hugs: . Never matters how big they get, they are as precious as the day they were laid in your arms. gee I lubs my kids lol :smt055

Jackie Guest

Hi and welcome to BB,
    can't help you with your first question, as for how long will your daughters labour be.. it 's different for everyone, mine was about 20 hours, so i guess we're hoping for a longish labour, your poor daughter is going to hate us for this

LOL, she only has to wait till i get there, so depends on what time she starts to labour, if it's through the day, I can be by her side in no more than say 6 hrs, then she can let it all hang out \/ lol

Hi there and Welcome to BellyBelly!

Don't stress about the babies head not engaging. My son Aidyn never engaged properly at all, yet was born one week before his due date! (due to waters breaking)

Hi and welcome to BellyBelly.

Congratulations to your daughter and i wish her all the best for the up coming birth.
    My first labor was 21hrs from start to finish. They say the average time for first time mums is about 12hrs.Hope for your daughter that the labour is not to long but long enough for you to get there in time.
    I am very excited for you both and look forward to hearing all about the birth.
    Take care Leah

Hi!

Just wanted to welcome you to bellybelly.

My labor was 5 hours and 16 minutes. I was induced though so don't know if that makes a difference. It was also my first bubby.

Walking does a lot for getting bubby to engage. I walked a lot between 37 and 40 weeks. She engaged from 2/5 to 4/5 in about a week and a half. 3/5 to 4/5 in less than a week, and i think the walking was a great contributer.

Take care,

sueedge Guest

My baby didn't engage at all! They thought she would have to be born by caesarean but about an hour before she was born, she finally engaged. I believe there are some yoga positions and visualisations that are supposed to be helpful. You could try looking them up on the net.

My hind waters broke on Tuesday morning & my daughter was delivered @ 12.01 on Thusrday lunchtime!!!
    I still lovede it & can't wait to do it again!

My daughters head was already engaged!

Best of luck.....

Matilda engaged & then disengaged.... so its hard to say and different for everyone... I had a 20 hour labour & then caesarean... HTH! & Welcome!

In labour with DD 4hrs, with DS (12 yrs later 5hrs). My mum was in labour with me for about 32 hrs, so I don't think it runs in the family!

I hope that you get there in time, but even if you don't your DD must certainly know how much you care and want to be there for her. It sounds like it has been a bit tough for you both lately, but I'm sure the new arrival will be the beginning of a brilliant new phase for you all. YAY! Your are such a bloody mum by the sound of you (nearly grandmum!) Keep us posted!

Lulu2

Welcome to BB and congrats on almost being a grandma!

Just to be different my little boy popped out in 2 hours! I was induced and after talking to several people, that was why and also the midwife that delivered Jack did say that it ruuns in families. My mum had quick labours, though not as quick as mine!