Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who needs birthing rooms when you can have a c/s?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Which hospital bon?

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kelly, I have actually read your reply elsewhere on another forum. And while yes it is a bit "out there" you certainly get your message across. Thankyou for posting the article on here as I could not find it. I too will be sending in a reply.

Thankyou also for standing up for the birthing mothers of Australia

Kelly it is the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane

Bon

Wowsers!:eek:
    I'm moving to the Bunbury area in a couple of weeks and I could hardly believe that response! Bunbury is a huge and rapidly growing regional centre. The stupidity of that comment is simply baffling on soooo many levels.
    Do they think I/we don't want a choice?
    Do they actualy think it's an economicaly viable suggestion?
    Have they looked at the projected growth rates for that region?
    Do they think this is in the best intrests of the women and children?
    I was really saddened to read this.

It sounds like I might have an up-hill battle on my hands :mad: If they think Im going to lie down and take it (pun intended) they've got another thing coming! GGRRrrr Im not going to travel an hour just to get shoved into an opperating theatre!
    Bring on the independant midwives and doulas!
    Sorry about my rant... I'm furious!

Guys i am just disgusted by what i have heard!!!!!! One of my girlfriends had 2 kids and had elective cesereans she said she couldn't deal with a vaginal birth i said why not, she said oh its just so much easier!!!! How wrong is she and how wrong are the OBS pushing a C section cause it suits them!!!! I am so glad i fund a OBS who is pro Vaginal does not push cesereans unless it's necessary,even when my first child went into distress because he had to be induced ( 14 days over and no sign of impending labour) they just carefully monitored him they got me ready incase i needed a cesar but they said it's last resort!!!! Why would anyone prefer to be operated on the have a vaginal birth which ofcourse is hard but when it's over it's over unlike cesareans!!!

There is certainly a place for caesarians, they can be life saving in some cases but I don't see how a hospital could justify a 70% c/s rate...But then each to their own. If someone chooses to have a c/s for their own personal reasons that is their business. Many women make the decision for various reasons and after much thought. But it worries me to think that there are places where OBs are trying to take away that choice and are just presenting c/s as the only 'safe' way to give birth, which is simply not the case.

Bon

I just keep getting shocked that they push c/s as an "easy" alternative to birth. My recovery was far from "easy" and yet I have had a fantastic recovery compared to others I know. I can't for the life of me understand how a major abdominal surgery could be "easy". I had an emergency c/s and am going to have a VBAC this time around, but if something happened & it was necessary I would go through with a c/s if it was the only option. ONLY option, not one of many...

Percy Guest

Kelly,

I've been looking into the NZ system lately and am wondering if there is a lower c/s rate over here? Reason why I am wondering is that most women over here have a midwife with them throughout their pregnancy and for the birth. Not very many people use obs at all, only if they have a problem pregnancy or issues.

Do you have any comparison stats?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Gosh I remember this, all the stuff you find when you are sorting out forums!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I still can't believe it Kel!
    I did write to NI and got a response, when I responded again the author went strangely stilent.....remember that one??? Grrrrr Even my mum wrote to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolabahdee View Post
    I say give those OB's the C/S's and give midwifery back to the midwives.
    Absolutely. Medicare Provider Numbers for midwives is a key way o give midwifery back to midwives. Then Aussie women will have a choice between two models of care. This will go a long way to stemming the tide of needless c/s, so we don't become a caesarian culture like USA, Brazil etc., and help preserve those key midwifery skills. Provider numbers would place value on midwives and midwifery skills. Also - government-funded homebirth. Not that necessarily more women would choose homebirth (they might) but if it Govt. funded, it helps key skills be maintained and preserved, which improves services for all women.

1. Provider numbers for midwives
    2. Govt. funded homebirth as an option on the menu

That's where I want to see the focus and the money spent.

what is wrong with the world This is the begining of new lives we are talking about. It makes me so sad and angry. Why would anyone want to start a life in such a traumatic situation (please note i'm not against life-saving c/s!).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12