Thread: Why do I watch these programmes.....

Default Why do I watch these programmes.....

Why is it that everytime I watch a childbirth/labour type programme the woman are all screaming & squawking..... why cant they show a natural birth where the woman isnt screaming like a banshee.....

I plan to have a natural birth, but watching these programme is starting to freak me out!!!!!!

Please someone tell me that these are just over dramatic woman & that I can have a natural birth without screaming......

Maybe I should just stop watching tv.....

Well I was induced so it wasn't natural to begin with, but the only pain relief I had was pethadine which did SFA anyway, and I screamed specially at crowning and when I had to have an episiotomy with no pain relief !!

The women that came into my ward the next day made a comment about some women screaming the night before... I knew I was the only one in full labour so I said "Yeah well I didn't have an epidural like you"

Love

ow ow ow.........

Is it too late to request a baby with a tiny head & a pain free labour......

(wishful thinking maybe)....

Astro..... Dis you forget about the pain straight away like they say you do.... or is it hard to forget?

I found it hard to forget mine but I had a bit a very stressful birth too which definitely didn't help.... Lachlan was only 6lb 7oz too

Love

Have you done your hospital tour or had any classes as yet? We watched this movie at our class that had a woman breathing and sitting on a birthing stool, no yelling and screaming just calm, and control without drugs.. Maybe your hospital will have a copy that you can borrow.. I think the video was about using the birthing stool during labour..

I didnt scream and yell and had no pain relief.. everyones way of dealing with pain is different.. you will be fine!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've seen lots of births which are natural and no screaming. Of course, it's a good outlet to those who do it but not to the point where they are losing their focus and are frightened - it's the job of the support people to get these women back on track. It's hard to come across the right videos to watch, I've seen lots through my training and she has a great collection of natural births.

I screamed and swore with Marisa, but not for Elijah, but I had the drip then too and felt less confident in myself.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I didn't scream or swear or yell, only cause it was too damm painful to even speak! I had a shot of pethadine that didn't do anything, and that was it. I was told i'd need an epidural due to her being posterior, which meant i had a 32 hours of back labour, but wouldnt go to the hospital until 28 hours into it so it was too late for the epidural. I didn't want one anyway. In the end she came out in 3 pushes, no tears or stitches and i was boucing around the following day like nothing had happened!
    It hurts like you wouldnt believe, but you amaze yourself at the end of just how much you are capable of. I found personally i kinda went into this 'zone' to deal with the pain, and just retracted into myself and dealt with it that way. Ashy's dad's biggest fear was that i would embarrass him with my language, but i hardly said a word!!
    So to answer your question, yes it hurts like you'd never imagine, but yes you can do it and you can do it without screaming down the house!!!!

Pietta Guest

Mitch I didnt have a vaginal birth but all through my contractions I sung. That was my way of channelling my pain into a different outlet.

granted i may have screamed if i had of had a vaginal birth... :-k

the shows are there for ratings and no one wants to see something so unrealistic as a wonderful drug free non-screaming natural birth now do they!!

Mitch,
    I dont seem to scream when in labour. I ended up on Syntocin drip with Maddy & had a perhadine shot, but basically I was suffering exhaustion, so they gave me the peth so I could relax & rest a little!
    BUt when I look back at the video I am rocking back & fourth on a stool, with my back being rubbed & mooing abit like a cow, I am make some noise, but basically I appear to be holding any noises in top help me concentrate on what's going on!
    I can remember with maddy I somehow was not really there, like I put myself in a different place & so just very quietly moaned/mooed.

My Mum was shocked as she already apologised for the filth that would come out of my mouth to the nurse.
    Even when pushing I used any noises to help focus & push baby out! I have never done any birthing classes, or prepared myself for not making noise, it just happened!

With #2, it was way quicker & I had no pain relief (too late, I was asking for it!), I also had an episiotomy without anything & didnt even know when she had done it, apparently (so the midwife told me) I have a large perenium, great for this!? She cut & I felt nothing, only knew she'd done it by the look on DH's face! As that area was alread stretched & numb, I really felt nothing. I didnt make any noise with #2 either.

You feel free to do whatever it is YOU need to do at the time though, coz I swear 100% as soon as bubba is out, the pain, pressure etc is all gone!

Until the next day, hee hee... But by then bubba's in your arms & your on cloud 9!

I know we can't post links but if you do a search for "jude roman fairbanks" you'll find the most BEAUTIFUL birth ever! It's still photos set to music and makes me cry everytime.

Janie Guest

Wow Ren - thanks for that. It was really lovely (cause no sound so you still don't know if she actaully made noise). What a wonderful tribute to their son.

Pietta Guest

I'm pretty sure Kelly has the birth as one of her favourite websites.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I was quiet and stoic when delivering Ariani and Shay, but was vocal and grunted and yelled and screamed with Zaki (squating in a shower with only a midwife and XH present) I actually found it really liberating and primal, and helped me focus.

Must just be the cavewoman in me!

love
    sushee

I had a blissful time with an epidural, but did have a period of about 1/2hr of the most extreme pain I have ever felt when the pain block wore off and I was waiting for the top-ups to kick in. I went from calm and controlled to bawling my eyes out in the space of 2mins. Funnily enough I never once screamed, I just moaned and cried silently! *L* (I was too embarassed to scream for some reason!)

Ironically, I would have no fears of going through labour again; likely because even though I did have the drip to speed up my dilation, I was in epidural land for so many hours. Its the memory of how sick I was with all-day sickness til week 16 of pregnancy that would make me think twice about having a 2nd baby. Talk to me in three or so years! *L*

chelleg Guest

All women are different whilst labouring and birthing. Some women do go to another place. They're very quiet and withdrawn, concentrating and focusing on their contractions. Some women quietly moan or breathe during labour and birth where other women just let it rip. Scream and roar and yell and swear. Whatever a woman does during labour and birth is instinctive, you're way to preoccupied to worry about trying to be quiet or caring if you're heard two suburbs away. There's no doubt it hurts. But it's a good hurt. It's a worthwhile hurt and you will make - or not make - any sound that comes naturally to you.

During the labour part, i was quite silent and motionless, definatly in another world, but that was probably the gas helping with that! During the pushing stage, yes i screamed the place down but that may be because i was trying to push out a 9lb 7oz baby without an epidural! I was told by the doctor who delivered her that he was amazed i did it without the epidural too! But the very second she came out, every single pain went away like it was never there. It was a huge releif.