Thread: Article: More mums prefer to induce birth

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Article: More mums prefer to induce birth

More mums prefer to induce birth
    By Julie Robotham Medical Editor
    January 14, 2006

THE birth of one in 12 babies in NSW is now induced for no obvious medical reason, according to statistics that show private obstetricians are leading the trend.

In some private hospitals more than a quarter of all births occur after the mother has been given drugs to initiate labour.

But doctors say that is the way some women want it, especially if they have been cared for during their pregnancy by a private obstetrician, and do not want to risk the possibility that he or she may be unable to attend the birth.

"Some women, with their eyes open, say, 'I would prefer to be induced at a time when you can deliver me'," said Robert Ford, the immediate past president for NSW of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

"The concern that will inevitably be raised is, 'Are some of these being done for convenience?' And certainly some are done for convenience," he said.

Dr Ford said there was no suggestion that the health of mothers or babies was being compromised by the trend, which hit a new height in 2004, according to the latest annual statistics on births published yesterday by NSW Health.

In 2000 one in 14 babies was induced in the absence of a medical reason, such as the mother's diabetes or high blood pressure, foetal distress or being a week or more overdue.

Current methods of inducing birth, including changed drug regimes, had made the practice safer, Dr Ford said. Women treated privately were often older and more likely to expect to make active decisions about their delivery.

At the public Royal Hospital for Women in Randwick inductions for reasons outside defined medical criteria have risen from 3.8 per cent to 5.8 per cent of all births.

Rob Buist, an obstetrician who is also president of the body Women's Hospitals Australasia, said women had a right to choose when they gave birth, and treating doctors were obliged to respect the choice.

"I induced a woman earlier this week because her husband was going [overseas] on business," he said. "I explained the small increased risk … and she was happy to go ahead."

Dr Buist said he would attempt to talk women out of having a first baby induced without a medical reason, because he believed it significantly raised the chances she would require a caesarean. But for subsequent births any extra risk was minimal, he said.

As well, the list of defined medical reasons for induction was probably outdated, Dr Buist said. It did not acknowledge the move towards inducing babies with known abnormalities, so that they could receive early treatment.

The highest rates of non-medical inductions in NSW were at Kareena Private Hospital in Caringbah, at 26.7 per cent of all births, followed by The Hills Private Hospital in Baulkham Hills, with 25.6 per cent.

Michael Coglin, medical director of Healthscope Ltd, which runs The Hills Private and Prince of Wales and Nepean Private, said the hospitals were not responsible for their induction rates.

"The doctor isn't employed by us. They are engaged by the patient," Dr Coglin said.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with Jillian 100%. My first two were natural and the 3rd was the drip (only b/c I had mec stained liqour (sp)

A friend of mine has private cover and went to a Gyno/Ob who agreed to deliver her 1st bub early 'cause she'd had enough' and the second one b/c she'd heard that 2nd labour is faster and didn't want to drive 1/5hrs in the car in labour in case she got stuck on the side of the road. I'm more disgusted at the Doctors for pandering to it and letting them do it.

Yes but it can sound really romantic and ideal to a first time mum especially, I guess it takes an induced labour for you to know an induced labour! How many of us have done it and don't want to ever again?!

ME!!!!!!!!!!

Although I was augmented for a stalled labour I still know what the drugs do and how it feels. I also now know what things I could have tried to get it going again, and not kept lying on the bed!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kirsty77 Guest

I've done it and NEVER want it done again!

WRT gel inductions - I dont think they are too harsh really. If you aren't ready to go, you wont, and if you are, it'll tip you over the edge.
    Within 5 hrs of my small gel dose, I had started to dilate, and didn't need anymore, within 9 hrs of the gel I was fully dialated - with only the last 30mins needing pain relief in the form of an epi.
    I get its a totally different kettle of fish with the syntocin, but maybe some of these "optional" inductions were like me - cervix in a good position ready to go, and all they needed was a small dose of gel??

Sometimes stats from the govt are so twisted - you dont know what they are counting, and what they aren't.

And good luck getting a non-medical induction in a public hossy. You are outta luck there!!!
    Fi

According to our poll Fi, 34% of women had labour begin with inductions as apposed to 39% with contractions. I have stickied it in labour and birth. Certainly an eye opener! http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3327
    Kelly xx

I have been induced twice (both with gels and ARM 1 with drip as well), so have no idea what a Natural labour feels like. I have said however if I did happen to fall pregnant again I will not be going down the induced path again unless of course is was absolutely necessary such as severe pre-eclampsia etc.

Love

An induction is the only thing I'm not keen on. I don't think I would have one unless I was quite past the post if you know what I mean.

Having had two induced births, when we have our third I am going to do everything that I can to avoid going through that again. Even though I don't know what 'natural' labour is like, I know it will be gentler (if you can describe labour as gentle) on my body than the synto was. I also have my suspicions that being induced contributed to my large blood loss both times.

Bon

I can;t imagine making my baby leave the womb any time before it was ready.

Having said that, both mine came on their own, 2 days before due date. BUT I usually have a fast and hard labour - and that ain't no fun either!

Debbie Lee Guest

Yes but it can sound really romantic and ideal to a first time mum especially, I guess it takes an induced labour for you to know an induced labour! How many of us have done it and don't want to ever again?!
    ME TOO! I was all for being induced early because I thought I would get to meet my baby earlier!
    5 days of agony (and, consequently, 4 days overdue), I ended up with an emergency caesar.

Never, ever again unless I am WAY overdue!