Thread: Article: A Rising Tide of Water Births

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Article: A Rising Tide of Water Births

A rising tide of water births
    By Ellen Connolly

January 08, 2006
    UNDERWATER births have risen by nearly 40 per cent in the past five years as women aim for more natural delivery, Homebirth Australia has found.

"More and more women are using water as a pain reliever, either at home or in birthing centres," said Homebirth Australia secretary Justine Caines, who recently gave birth to twins in a blow-up pool at her home.
    The Royal Hospital for Women reported 126 of its births, or 38 per cent, were under water last year compared to 25 per cent in 1997.

Celebrities including Elle Macpherson, Kate Winslet and Pamela Anderson have embraced the growing trend. And most recently, MacLeod's Daughters star Bridie Carter had a water birth.

At least seven NSW hospitals have water birth facilities.

In 2004, research published in the British Medical Journal showed women who spent at least part of their labour in water had less pain and were less likely to require intervention than those cared for in the conventional way.

However, the Australian Medical Association opposes water births because of "potential risks for the baby", including water in the lungs".
    Oh puhleeeease AMA!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I love this reply a woman has submitted to the newspaper, hopefully it gets published!!!

"I would like to congratulate all those women who have researched the models of care available when you have a baby. Water has been researched and proven a safe method of pain relief during labour and birth. However, as Ellen Connolly stated in her article many doctors still oppose the use of water for fears of safety. Yet, doctors still find it acceptable to over use procedures such as induction, epidural, elective C-Section, Pethidine, Gas, vaginal exams, Syntocinon drips, rupture of membranes etc etc etc as routine. The facts are that these are dangerous procedures, and interfere with the normality of labour, and can make labour go pear shaped very quickly. Yet, water as safe as it is, is being questioned? As suggested by a colleague of mine "Where do these people get there degrees???" and why are doctors being the primary care givers to normal healthy childbearing women? Women should be under the care of a single midwife who knows all woman's in's and out's and spends hours with the woman, not a scheduled 10 minute appointment that a doctor will give. Which may I add, 10 minutes after waiting hours because he is running late (again). Doctors have there place, with women who have a high risk pregnancy."
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.