Thread: Integration of doulas into a hospital setting

Default Integration of doulas into a hospital setting

Hi everyone,

I have just read a very interesting article on Nurses and Doulas: complementary Roles to Provide Optimal Maternity Care... The purpose of the article is to clarify some misconceptions about the doula's role and discuss ways that midwives and doula's can work effectively together. The goal of the midwife is to ensure a safe outcome. The goal of the doula is to ensure that the woman feels safe and confident.

In the USA Doula's work privately, community care and hospital-based programs using volunteer or paid doula's who work shifts.

Hopefully one day in the near future Australia will develop hospital-based care, where doula's are employed by hospitals if they choose, so that more families who would have not have heard of doula's or could not afford one; could receive wonderful care:

Sounds like a very interesting article Shan. Do you have a copy that you could post in here so we could read it!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I am not a big fan of Doulas being employed by hospitals simply because they will expect doulas to follow hospital policy. Also, all the studies from around the world show the benefits of an experienced woman/doula are part of them not being part of the hospital. So I wouldnt expect they would have the great outcomes that doulas have now. Midwives cant bend the rules, so I dont see doulas being able to either. We'll possibly also end up with medicalised doulas.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by BellyBelly View Post
    I am not a big fan of Doulas being employed by hospitals simply because they will expect doulas to follow hospital policy. Also, all the studies from around the world show the benefits of an experienced woman/doula are part of them not being part of the hospital. So I wouldnt expect they would have the great outcomes that doulas have now. Midwives cant bend the rules, so I dont see doulas being able to either. We'll possibly also end up with medicalised doulas.
    I agree.
    While I fully support the idea of "subsidised" doulas so that women who are economically and socially disadvantaged have access, the thought of being employed by a hospital doesn't sit well with me. If they're paying you, you tow their line...the same as a midwife and I don't think that works well for anyone. Except the hospital who then have doulas under the thumb and therefore not putting the noses of their obstetricians out of joint

It would be good to see private health funds pay a rebate as they do for "alternative therapies" although that would still benefit only women who use private care. A government rebate might be an answer but being they won't even fork over for midwives I don't think doula's have a hope