Thread: Aneta's arrival

Default Aneta's arrival

Aneta Klaudia born 13th June 2006 9.55pm 3.2kg 50cm h/c 35cm here is her story,

Monday 12th June 4am - I woke up to go pee , this time was a bit different though , I looked down when I wiped and there was blood :eek: . It took awhile for me to register what was going on, I sat on the loo and suddenly realized I was going to have a baby real soon ! !
    I went to wake DH when I noticed a small wet patch on the bed , I didnt think much of it then. DH got a bit too excited , I went to wake my mum , and my dad , and my sister hehe I made such a big deal out of losing my plug , at 4am in the morning! When I called the hospital they told me to stay put until I felt pains or had any other labour signs.
    Thankfully I had a checkup that day at 11am , so we went in and the midwife told me it could be anywhere between 2 hours and 2 weeks.. who knew? I told her about the wet patch but she brushed it off saying it wasnt anything to worry about .. ( this is the only midwife in the hospital i dislike )

so, we went back home and I just kept bleeding a small amount. At 8.30pm I went to sleep , just as I was drifting off I felt another wet patch , this got me a bit concerned so I got up , gathered the whole family again hehe and called the hospital. Since I tested positive for GBS they told me to come in.
    We arrived at the hospital at 10pm, I had a test done, and the midwife returned with a doctor ( alarm bells went off in my head ). Turn out I had ruptured my membranes at 4am ( the first wet patch ) which meant I had been walking around , leaking , for about 18 hours. This scared me big time , especially since I had read so many times that with GBS you need to get to the hospital within an hour of your waters breaking.
    The doctor stuck the BIGGEST needle into me , and started me on antibiotics straight away , I was told that I would be transfered into the birthing suite within 30 mins where they would start my on the syntocin drip.

Tuesday 13th June 12.00am - Lucky me managed to get the big birthing suite ( I had wanted this one since the hospital tour! ). We met the midwife on duty and I got hooked up to the drip immediatly. So now I had 2 drips. She also hooked me up to the CTG machine which really hurt my stomach because it was so tight!
    For the next 8 hours DH , my mum and I all sat and watched contractions come and go ( I couldnt feel any ) . Finally the midwife said I seemed to happy to be having such contractions , she checked and I was 1cm dialated but she was sure that I had completely broken my waters , so we waited and waited , still no progress - after 8 hours on syntocin ! ! !
    They decided to up my dosage , this did no good either , still 1cm. So another midwife came along and checked my bag of waters again , turns out that I only had a small leak but the waters hadnt broken completely. As soon as she broke my waters is when the fun started... not!

About 30 mins after the procedure , still on the high dosage of syntocin the biggest pain I have ever felt hit me. It was so intense I immediatly stopped breathing ( my way of dealing with pain ). The midwife kept telling me to breath through the contractions but I couldnt! It was so painful ,and so uncomfortable. I got up with my drip and CTG collection and sat down on the chair next to the monitors. I kept having one contraction on top of the other , with hardly any time to breath in between. Finally one of the midwives turned down the syntocin dosage and I had at least 2 minutes between contractions. By this stage I couldnt talk much , except to say - EPIDURAL ! !
    I had to endure 45 minutes of non stop contractions until the anesthesiologist finally came in. He was explaining to me that he was putting some spinal thing in aswell which worked straight away. .. and was he right! The moment the needle went in ( not painful ) my pain went away.
    I was so exhausted at this point that I fell asleep for about an hour. When I got up I had a syringe like thing strapped to me with epidural top up in it. I was meant to administer it myself any time I felt pain coming back. After awhile the midwife suggested I press the syringe every time it fills up instead of when I feel pain. Fine by me!
    I was checked after a few hours and was....drum roll... 3cm:eek: I nearly had a heart attack , all those strong contractions and only 3cm !?
    It was decided that I would be left for another 4 hours and if there was no progress then I would need a c-section.

During those 4 hours my epidural started to wear off ( even with the top up syringe ) So i needed another spinal top up once, and then again. I got really bad shakes , I thought id break my jaw I was shivering so much I couldnt talk.
    By this time I managed to get a temperature and needed more antibiotics and a water drip. I lost count by now of how many chemicals were going into my body. I kept asking the nurse if it was possible for me to overdose on everything , i think she thought i was insane , but im really anti-drugs and i was beginning to feel like i was on drugs!

Around 8pm I needed another proper epi top up because the pain was returning. They did an internal at this time.. and FINALLY I was around 9 / 10 cm ! They ( by now I had about 4 midwives hanging around and a student doctor ) decided to give me an hour and id start pushing at 9pm.
    During this hour I got myself into such a stressed state. I was petrified of pushing. But I couldnt hold time back. 9pm came and pushing needed to be done. Please dont let me put anyone off , this is my personal opinion. Pushing was the worst stage. I felt like I needed to do the biggest poo in the world and no matter how hard i tried it wouldnt budge.
    I started abusing everyone in the room , Dh included. I stopped caring about anything and pushed even when there was no contraction ( BIG MISTAKE ). Finally a midwife convinced me to put my hand down and I could feel the head ! This was what I needed . The next 2 pushes I pushed so hard I thought my eyes would pop hehe but suddenly the head came out. I felt no pain but I could feel tearing. I was told to pant and wait until I pushed the rest of the body out. I felt no pain at all. With the next contraction out she came , our little princess straight on to my tummy. I was holding this naked wriggly thing and crying so much I couldnt see.
    Somewhere in between this I had a shot in my thigh to help the placenta out , I birthed the placenta and I had a bleed because I remember the student doctor pressing the alarm and more people came rushing in.
    DH cut the cord and Aneta was given to my mum while a doctor was called to stitch me up. When she came along and had a look she said that she was going to go straight ahead because the epidural was still working. I could feel a lot of the stitching , a lot! But I was so drugged at this stage I somehow didnt care. She kept making comments that she'd never seen a tear like this , she was saying that my sexual life will never be the same again, and that she'd try to put it all back together as well as she could. Hmmm these comments werent really necassary but ok.
    45 mins later I was stitched up , a catheter was put in and.... I had a baby ! ! !
    So what do I do? I vomit and fall asleep. ( we wont be telling Aneta that hehe ). I kept drifting in and out of sleep. I cant remember when everyone went home , actually I cant remember much after that. I know that I got ANOTHER medication for the nausea and the epidural syringe was left in for another 2 days but with pethidine in it.

The next 2 days in hospital my poor baby had he legs attacked with so many needles. Because my waters had been leaking for so long she needed antibiotics as a precaution , but thankfully all ended well. She tested negative.
    I couldnt move from bed for those 2 days , the drips stayed in , the epidural syringe was hanging above me , with the tube sticking out from my back , and the catheter was hooked up down below. It was really hard when Aneta woke up at night because I had to call nurses to come and pass her to me. I also had to call them in to change the sheets so many times , because I was bleeding heavily
    Finally on the 3rd day I had everything removed and was told I could go home if I did 2 pees. That was soooo hard ( all in my head though ).

All in all even though I couldnt walk properly for awhile , and I ended up with separated tummy muscles and this and that ( the list goes on ). I dont think my birth experience was a negative one. Physically it was uncomfortable , emotionally it was fullfiling. I got a daughter , a new little soul in my life. For that id do it all again.

Ohhh Enigma - thank you so much for sharing! Its def different for everyone as the pushing stage for me was the best. But you're right its definately an emotionally fullfulling experience! Congratulations once again on Aneta's birth!

Ouch is all I can think of. Congratulations hun on a job well done. Aneta is gorgeous

I am so glad that you can look at the whole experience as a positive one, even though it dragged on a bit. I wonder if the same anaethatist put in your epidural as did mine. I remember when I was pushing telling the everyone I thought he was a saint.........hehehe

thats a great story! beautiful

I sat here and crossed my legs SO tight while reading about your pushing stage..

Congratulations and welcome little Aneta.

Sal Guest

Wow you are an inspiration! Lovely name, Aneta.

Congratulations on a job well done! Your story brought tears to my eyes and I think I felt your pain! I'm glad you have such a positive perception of your experience and thank you for sharing it

Enigma thanks so much for sharing. I remember so well that feeling of elation when you first meet your little bub. Even though you had some difficulties you were still positive throughout. Congratulations and well done

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Enigma, OMG! what a story honey... thank you so much for sharing. Your little girl is beautiful!

thanks everyone for reading
    Good luck to all those who still have it ahead of them - it is possible , and worth it

What a wonderful story! Thanks so much for sharing!

#karen# Guest

Enigma - thanks so much for sharing. After your experience it is wonderful you have a positive attitude to it all, congratulations.

Ouch i was squirming reading your pushing part! well it was a very lengthy labour and probably not what you had planned but as you said look what you got for all your effort a beutiful baby daughter! She is just gorgeous well done, you did it!!

(((Hugs))) well done sweetie As you know we were in labour at the same time and after reading your story I'm so impressed at your positive attitude despite all the uncertainties and pain. Aneta was born with her hand up beside her face wasn't she? (Like my little boy)... that was such a bizarre coincidence!!! I could really relate to contractions coming ontop of each other from too much syncotin too (my DDs birth was like that) and I also kinda stopped breathing when I read that part of your story! You are such are brave, strong person Enigma... and with such a wonderful positive attiude you're going to be just the best Mum Congratulations, fantastic job!

Well done Enigma . Considering that you had the less then ideal birthing experience it is fantastic to see that you are so positive, like you said you have a beautiful little girl out of it!!