Thread: the arrival of Jack Robert what a adventure!!!

Default the arrival of Jack Robert what a adventure!!!

The arrival of
    Jack Robert Edwards
    what a adventure!!!

22nd Sept 2006

Finally after 8 weeks of worrying about Jack coming early, which included a royal flying dr flight to Brisbane, and Capricorn rescue chopper flight to Rockhampton, we finally had a date for his arrival, 23rd Sept 2006 this was bitter sweet for us, as it was the 3rd anniversary of our Katyís birth and arrival into heaven.
    After OB appoint we decided to do some last minute shopping etc, when we received a phone call to say his birth had been put off till the 24th Sept, which we were fine about as you can imagine. So we are watching TV when we receive a message to phone OB ASAP, so I give him a call, he says, we have a problem and I am trying to find a hospital for you to go to to have the baby. I am like WTF! He says we are have no beds in special care :mad: anyway Jase and I are like we arenít going anywhere, what will a few days make for a elective c-sect.

23rd Sept 2006

On the 23rd we head to hospital to see OB with full intentions of saying like hell I am being flown anywhere to have this baby, I was only 37 weeks so we are like whatís the hurry. When we get there he explains why special care is full, and why he would like me to go elsewhere, basically we could hold off for a few days but if we do and bub comes and requires special care as he believes he will due to the GD, size of bub and excess fluid, then bub will be flown out while I stay in Rockhampton. :eek: So of course I am now prepared to be flown anywhere
    So he admits me to hospital while waiting on news whether I would be flown 8hrs south or 9 hours north, finally around 12pm we get news that north it is, and am told we should be flown out mid afternoon, so Jase hitís the road for the long drive north, while I wait for the plane, and I wait and waitÖÖÖ.receive a phone call to say Jase is safe and sound in Townsville, and I am still waiting finally am flown out at 12.50am on the morning of the 24th.

24th Sept 2006

I arrive at the Townsville base hospital at appox 3am, they ring Jase at his motel and he comes up, the midwife pops me on a CTG machine to monitor bub for a bit, finally I send Jase back to motel, no point if c-sect is to go ahead for both of us to get no sleep. So around 6am they transfer me down to maternity to try and get some sleep, yeah right like that is going to happen. So anyway Jase comes back up and we wait to see OB, he finally comes around 1pm and then beat this after being told in Rockhampton no way we would try induction this OB is happy to give it a go :yippee:, so he arranges for me to go to birth suites to start induction, there they place a thing inside called cevadil, it is placed up against the cervix, it has string that sits outside so they can remove it. By 10pm Sunday night I am in tears with pain, and regretting attempting a natural labour. But I also knew if nothing was progressing by morning as in no dilation then OB would go straight to c-sect plan.

25th Sept 2006

Jase arrives nice and early to hospital, around 7:30am we are taken up to birth suites, where a midwife hooks me up to CTG, which shows I am having smallish contractions, although they felt like huge ones to me , this is when the drama begins, he yes my midwife was male goes out and gets another midwife, they donít say much to us, but are commenting on bubs heart rate, it turns out after each contraction it was plummeting showing he was in distress. The next minute we have a OB in the room, she says, she wants to do a internal and if dilation is happening rupture my waters. So when she does she finds I am only 1cm dilated, during this time bub heart rate kept dropping big time. So she says am I happy to have a c-sect I am like yes no problems. Little did I know that I was no being referred to as a emergency c-sect, it really wasnít till I was on the table did I realise what was happening.
    They said to me, if epidural doesnít work first time, they would have to knock me out. Thankfully the epidural worked. So Jase comes in and they out up the shield thing and get to work, am talking away to Jase and didnít even realise they had started
    The next minute epidural guy says to me, they are just getting bub out, so I wait anticipating them lifting bub over screen, well the next minute they are saying look to the left and I see this dr with bub over his shoulder racing out of the room, I was a bit confused but I thought ok maybe this is normal, finally I ask is he what I thought he was and I turn to Jase and say you have a son I also say what is wrong, the epidural guy says bub isnít breathing and the drís are working on him, they have placed a tube down his throat to help him breath L it took my little man a good 10 minutes to come good.

Jack Robert born 8.40am 25th Sept 2006
    8lbs 12.5oz, 3985grms
    50 cm long, 20inchs
    HC 36.5cm, approx 14 inch
    APGAR score 3 at birth,
    6 at 5min
    8 at 10min

Finally they took Jase out to meet him and then brought Jack into theatre for me to say hello before taking him to special care.

I have no memory of Monday from recovery till 5pm when I said I need to see my son, apparently after spending a eternity in recovery I was taken to special care where I got to touch him thru his isolette, I donít remember this.

http://i9.tinypic.com/44pyeew.gif

Jase spent a lot of the day with me then in special care while I slept, as I said at around 5pm, I buzzed for a nurse and said I need to see him, so they helped me out of bed and into a wheelchair, and called Jase down from SC and he wheeled me up to meet our son

http://i9.tinypic.com/2nqyu7c.gif
    http://i10.tinypic.com/40e7nrr.gif
    http://i10.tinypic.com/3y60qvo.gif

What an ordeal you went through.. But what a wonderful outcome!!!

Your little Jack is adorable!

Congratulations!

skorpy Guest

Congratulations,sorry to hear about what you went through though.But arnt they worth it.

He has a good head of hair bless him,hes a cutie.

Rach thank you for sharing that with us. That would have been incredibly hard on you and DH having Jack rushed off for resuscitation like that - you poor things. I'm so glad he's healthy. Enjoy your cuddles!

Wow Rach - that really was an adventure! Well done. He is just adorable! I hope you are recovering well.

thanks girls

I feel great, the only problem I am having is I have major excess fluid going on, saw dr yesterday so he has me on some tablets to try and help, and ran a lot of bloods

He is a cutie! I was goin gto say wow he looks like his daddy, but then I looked at the pic with both of you & I can't tell now, he looks heaps like you too!
    What have others said about who he looks like?

at first all the nurses said he looked like me, they wondered where dad came into the equation

he looks a lot like me as a baby but that could be the dark hair where as jase was fair, I suppose only time will tell

Such a Cutie!!!!

You must have been terrified for him,,,,,,but such a beautiful outcome

well done.........you should be so proud

Congratulations! Jack is gorgeous!. Must have all been a bit scarey at the time but look what u have now!

WOW What a story, poor little man.

Congratulations once again on Jack's arrival. Not a bad size for a 37 weeker too.

He is such a cutie. Well done !!

thanks all