Thread: Arrival of our little boy

Default Arrival of our little boy

A couple of days overdue, was getting stronger braxton hicks every now and again. On Saturday evening they were a bit more frequent, so I started noting how far apart they were. Varied from 10 to 30 minutes, no closer than 10 minutes though. And nothing particularly painful, just annoying, but getting stronger.

Decided this was probably it though, told my parents not to be toooo late visiting on Sunday. Packed my toothbrush. Went off to watch telly on the couch. Called the hospital - it is absolutely freezing so we figured at worst, they can heat the birthing suite up and we won't come in.

Long break without anything before 10pm, but the contractions after then were getting a bit more uncomfortable, and on an 11:15pm one *pop* my waters broke so we called the hospital and said we'd definitely be in. Packed the rest of our stuff up, changed into a grotty nighty, left the other kidlets asleep in bed blissfully unaware, sat on a towel, and went to the hospital.

Got there at about 11:30. Hospital was a bit busy being mid-winter and all, so we just showed ourselves into the birth suite. The midwife on that evening found us, I got my blood pressure checked, baby's heartrate checked, and an internal that said about 6-7cm. The midwife said the hospital was so busy she'd go and get the on-call midwife and the doctor. Dimmed the lights before she left so it was nice and dark.

When she left I was very sore so I went fishing for an angle that didn't hurt so much. Hands and knees worked. Pinched the folded-up blanket off the bed and knelt on that on the floor. Freakin' hurt. After a while of this, call midwife, ask for gas or *something*. They come back, fardle around getting gas, setting up their other stuff. I said something about this baby being almost out. One of them came over and had a look under my nightie and I think we panicked the poor woman, she wasn't ready. I think I got 3 or 4 puffs of the gas mix at most before he crowned and was born ... on the blanket on the floor. In the dimly lit room. About 35 minutes after we got to the hospital

It was cold so I got him on my tummy under blankets on the bed for a while, they brought milo and biscuits and so forth. Doctor eventually turned up (in a very heavy coat) to say hi. Another hospital rang her while she was there and apologised for getting her out of bed lol

After all that fast-arriving baby, the placenta took its sweet time (over 1/2 hour) to arrive so I had two midwives and a doctor sort of hanging around for waiting for it ... I think the more senior two of them got bored and left.

Partner went home so there was someone there for when the other two kidlets woke up. Him, my parents and the other kidlets came over after breakfast - DD#1 being sullen and furiously complaining she doesn't want a little brother, DD#2 getting all excited over the baby. I stayed for breakfast and lunch, got all the paperwork and the bounty bag, went home at 3pm the next day

Congrats!!! WOW he was very quick! xxx

Big congrats, and well done on such a quick labour!

wow congrats on ur quick labour & ur gorgeous little boy!

A nice, quick and uncomplicated labour, just perfect Congratulations

Well done on a wonderful quick labour.. nice work!

WOO HOO! Congratulations to you all -even rumpled elflette. I hope she comes around soon *grin.

Glad you have a baby to show your parents!

Gotta love a country birth!!! Sounds like a wonderful birth Rumpled Elf.

Great story, love the way you wrote it, like it was just another trip to the hospital to deliver another baby, no biggie!

Sounds like it all went really well. Hope you're a bit warmer now!!!

Congratulations and welcome to your little man! What a speedy arrival

Ah, short and sweet!
    Congratulations!

Gorgeous story

Well done and Congratulations

Oh BIG congratulations to you - nice work

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Great story, love the way you wrote it, like it was just another trip to the hospital to deliver another baby, no biggie!
    Well, it was #3 at the same hospital with all the same staff as the last one, and we'd just got the guided tour of the place, so we were pretty comfortable with the lay of the land. I suppose if you're going in not expecting anything horrendous to happen you're far less stressed too. The doc has been very much "yeah, whatever, you'll be fine" through the whole checkup process.

Funny thing is apparently they'd taken bets or something and were expecting me on that day (4 days post dates), the hospital was full but they'd reserved the private room (it has its own ensuite and is usually kept aside for new mums) for that night. Isn't that sweet They get about 40-50 babies a year at this hospital.

Oh and forgot the stats.

36cm head, 3.46kg, 52cm long. The last one was 36cm, 3.49kg, 50cm long, both post dates. Such variety lol

I think we've settled on Theodore Mark as a name too

Wow very quick - congratulations! Theodore Mark is a lovely name too

I agree wow. RumpledElf what a quick birth. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your little man. Theodore Mark is a great name

Thanks for sharing your story!

Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy!

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy!