Thread: The Arrival Of Shynelle Maree

dd Guest

Default The Arrival Of Shynelle Maree

Hi all,

I know this is a little delayed - I just don't know where the time has gone! As with everyone I will try to keep this short but I no doubt being the waffler I am it won't be so you have been warned - I just hope I don't bore you all too much.

On Saturday the 19th of June in the morning I had a very minute show of mucus and wasn't feeling great not really sick - but just not right I rang my OB and told her and she advised that it could be the start of labour but because I'd been down this road before I was scepitcal my Ob laughed and said well who knows maybe I'll see you in the labour ward today - I asked my OB how I would know whether I was in labour and she just assured me I would just know (again something else for me to feel sceptical about)!

Anyway, I felt better so Lee and I were at his mum's for lunch and I began having what seemed like contractions abit stronger than braxton's but sort of the same and they were coming every ten minutes apart - Lee's mum had never heard of BH's and said in her day when this sort of thing happened you went into hospital and had the baby. We explained I had been getting these fairly consistently for a couple of weeks and this was nothing new - although I was beginning to wonder cause some of them were abit stronger than I was used to. This went on all day until about 7pm and I went to bed to rest and woke up the next day feeling great with no more of what was strong BH's again! I was feeling sooo good I woke Lee and said do you want to watch a DVD with me now cause it could be our last Sunday morning together alone for the next 20years he laughed but agreed and we had a really nice Sunday morning together and then about 10am I felt an incredible urge to go to the loo with kind of period like pains. Then the pain came back again about 20minutes later without the loo urge this time and I thought hmmm this is different. I didn't say too much or think too much then just went with it cause now Lee and I were getting ready for lunch for my mum's 60th - but still the whole time I'm getting these period pains every 20 minutes so I told Lee but he thought they were just BH's again. I said to him I really think this is it and to take anything he will for the hosp cause we won't be coming home after lunch but he insisted i was not in labour (like he would know!) and refused to take anything but in the meantime I was putting last minute things into the car because I was now adament that I was definately in labour. It wasn't that the pains were stronger they were just different and I JUST KNEW IT WAS WEIRD.

Anyway, we got the hotel for mum's 60th and I was now have 15 minute apart contractions and they were getting a little stronger and Lee was now believing me and wanted to take me to hospital - I said after lunch we can go. By the time my meal came my contractions were coming every 5 minutes and everyone knew and just wanted me to go to the hospital and just wanted dessert!! So my sister in law got mum's cake and candles organised and we sang the quickest happy birthday to mum ever and then everyone said ok now it's time to go - I said I haven't had my cake yet and there's still heaps of time cause the contactions are still only 5 mins apart Lee said if they get down to 3 then we'll go. I was half way through mums bday cake when Lee said they're 3mins apart now we gotta go and grabbed arm and off to hospital we went.

It is now 4:30pm Sunday 20th June and my contractions are still 3 to 5 mins apart and the OB arrived did an internal and said I'm only 3cms dilated so there's still a few hours to go if by 9:30 not much changed they would break my water and if within a couple of hours still no change they would have to give me an epidural and some syntocin to make the contractions stronger to enable my cervix to dilate. Well by 9:30 I'd only dilated another cm and the OB broke my waters and said time for the epidural and syntocin I said no I'm coping with the pain I don't want anything. Well that's when it all changed within about 5minutes I was asking for the epidural cause the contraction pain intensified they and I was contracting every minute and the OB said I'm not dilating properly and will need the syntocin so I just agreed. The anaethetist came in and I bent over the pillow and in between my one minute contraction I had to stay still for the epidural to go in anyway about an hour later and eleven attempts later with 19 needles altogether we epidural success - don't panic this was not the norm I have scoliosis of the spine this is a curvature of the spine and the Anaeth. wasn't informed of this and where he needed to enter the epidural my spine was twisted in that spot and he kept hitting bone (sounds worse than it was) but believe me once it was in I'm quite sure I went to heaven the pains eased and the real birthing ride began.

The mid wife checked me at 4am and I could feel pushing on the back passage - I was now fully dilated and could feel Shynelle moving down by the time the OB got there the baby's head was on it's was way. The OB advised that because I had the epidural I would need assistance to get bubs out with forcips or the vacuum I said no I'll get the baby out. I pushed and pushed and at 5:37or 5:38am Shynelle came flying out and I can honestly say that was the most exhilerating feeling ever - it was the most beautiful and exciting feeling and I'm not just saying this - worst part was the contractions because actually giving birth was the most fantastic experience and feeling ever!!! Then to actually hold this preicous little miracle in my arms I would do that again and again - It was all truly worth it.

Sorry for waffling on a bit I hope you enjoyed my story and I will try and keep you all posted on how we are doing. Well Gotta go cause my precious little bundle has one hell of a set of lungs and wants some feeding.

Take care all.... O

xxdd

That was fantastic story DD !! eek at all the needles though

Love :smt049

great story.. argh about the needles though i hate having just one

take care
    Lesley

Pietta Guest

Thanks for sharing your story with us!!
    Go the lungs hey??

Yukko at the needles. I cringed and you wrote worse than it sounds as if you knew what i would be thinking!!

Do you have any pics of the wee beautiful one yet?

Wow! What an amazing story, DD. Thanks for sharing it with us! :-)

dd Guest

Thanks for your thoughts guys and yes Pee I do but I'm not a real computer buff and don't know how to get the pics onto view in Belly Belly #-o

That sounds so scary about the needles!! But at least they got the epidural to work in the end!

COngratulations on Shynelle's safe arrival

Wow DD,

Thanks for sharing your story!

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your daughter!1

Love
    Gabby O

katanya Guest

Wow can't believe how calm you were at you Mum's birthday party!!!!

That is some digging around for an epidural! The worst thing with epidurals is having contractions while you are having it put it! trying to breathe while your face is planted on your chest..not fun! Something quite amazing when that pain relief kicks in isn't it?

I can't believe the doctor said you'd have to have a forceps delivery with a epidural? I just had to wait till Felix was further down in the birth canal and then I pushed him out with 3 contractions in 15 mins!

Great story, something Shynelle will love reading when she'd olde enough!

Great to hear from you dd, glad all is well and I really enjoyed your birth story and the positiveness you had must have made the experience much better for you.
    Best wishes MICHELLE

dd, yaaayyyy! Now you're all ready to go again!!!!! Good luck, mate.

Hehehehe, glad you got to eat some cake and have your bubs!
    Congrats!