Thread: Ava-Jaydes Birth Story

kirsty_lee Guest

Talking Ava-Jaydes Birth Story

Well I’m finally getting around to doing my birth story, been a bit hectic.. so here goes.

I Had a fairly good pregnancy, other than having morning sickness up until 6 ? months and extremely sore back. As well as the usual pregnancy symptoms that seem to come along the way (lack of sleep, cravings etc). It was getting towards my due date and I was absolutely over being pregnant as most us women are at 39 weeks LOL. So about a week before my due date I started getting really intense cramping, after talking to a midwife I was told that I was experiencing early labour, which could go on for a few days or even a few weeks. Not really the thing I wanted to hear at this stage cause I just wanted it over but oh well. The week went by so slowly, her due date also went by, still experiencing early labour with very irregular contractions. So Monday the 14th April rolled around, 2 days after my due date. Brendan and I and our mate Travis were sitting around having a laugh and catching up. I’d been having the same cramps i’d had all week so didn’t really think anything of it. So I felt like I need to go to the toilet and as I got up *woosh* my waters broke! Brendan of course thought I was playing a prank on him until I moved again and more fluid came pouring out. So panic stations it was!! We raced around the house grabbing things we needed whilst me almost hyperventilating being so utterly freaked out that it was finally happening. In the car we get, of course EVERY red light known to man, which didn’t help me panicking! Funny thing is though, I always heard funny stories about things women in labour say and didn’t honestly think I’d be one of them. But all I could talk about in the car was the fact that my water broke on the couch, and how was I going to get it out!? LOL So we finally get to the hospital and we’re told there’s no beds so I have to wait in the waiting room. So I’m walking around the waiting room, fluid STILL leaking out of me but I just couldn’t sit down. So after about an hour of waiting around there finally is a bed available in the assessment room. So Brendan and I are taken into the room where I was hooked up to a monitor on my belly (don’t know the name lol) where it measured the babies heart beat as well as my contractions and I was also told to put a pad on so they could see the colour of the fluid that was leaking. So about half an hour had passed and the midwife asked me to get up so she could check my pad. A slight tinge of green showed up but as they weren’t sure they decided to do a internal to see what was going on. The midwife told me that if all was clear I could go home until labour actually established as my contractions weren’t really there. The minute she started the internal however, she said ‘Sorry we’re not going anywhere, there is meconium and we need to induce you”. So by this time i’m slightly panicked and nervous about what the next few hours are going to bring. So off to my birthing suite where I was hooked up to the IV drip with the oxytocin (sp?) to bring on my contractions. I was again hooked up to the monitor on my belly showing the contrax/heartrate. So we started on 3mg and doubled it every half an hour. Brendan and mum were great as the contractions started getting heavier and stronger they were there the whole time champing me on LOL after about 4 ? hours of labouring on my own I couldn’t take the pain anymore it was just too much, and I was exhausted so the midwife suggested an epidural as it was all that was really going to work at that stage. So the anethesist was called and took about 10 minutes to get to me, which was pretty good! She was a very very strange lady though LOL as there was a student nurse there watching what the anethesist was doing. Now I was already totally freaked out about having a needle about to be put into my spine, however the anethesist behind me felt it necessary to explain to the student nurse about how “horrible” epidurals were and how much they hurt, as well as refering to them as ‘nasty’ quite a couple of times. Then telling me to relax?!? So she started the epidural and i had the shakes sooo bad I could hardly sit still between that and contractions and I just ended up bawling the hole way through the epi, poor Brendan was holding my hand and trying to calm me down but i just couldn’t stop crying! So after the epi was done I had my catheder put in, and hooked back up to the belly monitor. The midwife upped the dose in the IV now to 60mg which she told me was the highest they could really go. After monitoring the print out on the belly monitor the midwife and the doctor decided they weren’t getting a good enough reading so they decided to put it on her head instead, which was a little freaky LOL.. so legs up in the stirrups and they put it on her head and away we go again. About half an hour goes by and the contrax were still not strong enough for the doctor and the midwife as well as bubs heart rate was going from 170 down to 85 constantly so they then decided they needed to see how stressed bubs was, if she wasn’t stressed we could continue on for longer. So legs up in the stirrups again, by this time I was only 3 centimetres dialated, so the doctor took AGES to reach my cervix, he reckons it was the hardest one he’s ever had LOL, so after checking how dialated I was he scraped some blood from the babies head and tested it to see her stress levels. They came back at like 1.8 or something like that which was apparently good, so we could continue for a bit longer. They then said get a bit of a sleep and they’d come back in half an hour and check. Brendan by this time was passed out, poor bugger was totally stuffed. Unfortuneately though I just couldn’t sleep. The midwife and doctor then returned and checked the print out again and still no change. The doctor then sat down and explained to me what was happening, and that I needed to be prepped for a caeserian as we needed to get bubs out. So now by this stage im so emotional and tired and just want it to be over, mum wakes up Brendan and tells him what’s going on and the midwife then takes him to get changed into his theatre clothes. So after being fully prepped for theatre the doctor comes in to read the print out and to his surprise everything has picked up strong contractions, coming regularly and babies heart rate doing great! So he gets quite excited makes a phone call and comes back to tell me that the Caesar was cancelled and I could now deliver naturally! He then goes on to tell me he’s also NEVER ordered a caesarean and been able to cancel it. So another half an hour goes by and then all goes stagnant again and her heart rate starts dropping again so the doctor sits down and explains to me that although things started to pick up I was still only about 3 cm dialated and because bubs was getting distressed we had to rebook the cesar. So after my epidural was topped up I was wheeled into theatre. By this time I was so exhausted I just couldn’t wait for it to all be over. Unfortunately though for me, a cesar was one of the worst things i’ve ever felt in my life! Although I didn’t actually feel the cutting I felt everything else all the pulling and the tugging of my insides and I pretty much spent the whole 45 mins screaming for them to stop cause it was such a horrible feeling. Forceps were used to pull her out seeing as she was intent on being so stubborn, and after a good pull she was out and they put her over the screen for Brendan and I to see. I was absolutely overwhelmed and was crying so hard just at the sheer beauty of this beautiful baby girl. So off she was taken to get weighed and get her needles. 8.45am on the 15th of April Ava-Jayde Elizabeth was born weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces. 51 cm long.

wow my eyes are full with tears. What a beautiful story. Pity everything didnt go as smoothly as planned but now look at the gorgeous girl u and brendan have made! congrats 2 u both! and once again welcome little Ava xoxoxoxoxo

Crikey, that's a rough trot you had there hon!! I'm glad you guys are safe and well.

And btw - yes c-sections feel bloody weird with all that pulling and tugging!!!

Sounds like it was full on. Thankyou for sharing.

CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your little girl

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Well done hun on getting the birth story on bb!!!!

I hope writing it has helped you a bit.

Enjoy Ava she is gorgeous!!

Congatulations

Woo Hoo - what a ride babe!

Glad she is in your arms now, hope your poor old guts are feeling better too. xoxoxox

Thanks for sharing KL!

What a story! Its awesome to hear that even after such an ordeal you are doing well and have a beautiful baby. You did great!

Wow KL you really did have a ride and a half hun didn't you!! I'm so happy that you and Ava are doing so well. while her entrance into the world may have not be the way you would have liked, she is here, and that's all that matters hey.

Wow! I'm so glad you got through that all ok - and that you have a beautiful little girl. Congrats on the birth of Ava.