thread: The awesome waterbirth of River!

Dec 2005

The awesome waterbirth of River!

I was aiming for a spontaneous waterbirth and physiological 3rd stage after 2 early induction due to medical issues.......

I let Dh get some last night not thinking it would do anything but I had a few random cramps during the night. Ds2 woke me up at 6:30am and I started having contractions anywhere between 7-15min apart, not to ouchy though. Still didnt think anything of it. Went to my acupuncture appt with Dh in toe JIC and afterwards the cx's ramped right up coming around 7min apart. Went and strolled the shopping centre for awhile to walk and pick up some milk/bread, got nearly all the way home and then they ramped up again and got to about 3min apart. Rang midwife and we turned straight around. At the birth centre I had a spew (ew so not fun when your in labour, kudos to women who have it happen from word go to birth moment!) and the midwife examined me. My cervix was about half a cm long and I was only 1cm dialated if that. I nearly cried So off we went walking Townsville Hospital til about 12:35pm but I got sick of people staring at me so I went back to pace the BC. She examined me at 1pm and the cx's were about 3min apart and I was finally 4cm dialated. After prob another hour or so of pacing the floor and bouncing on the fitball my cx's were strong and regular enough to hop in the birthing tub. OMGoodness, what bliss! It still hurt but I could relax between contractions better. Around 2:50pm my waters broke and it was time to push and after 11min River arrived all on his own to float in the tub! My midwife picked him up and placed him on my chest and Dh and I got cuddles. Cord was cut once it stopped pulsing and then we got out of the tub. Placenta must have detached during pushing because it practically fell out when I sat on the bean bags so I got my physiological 3rd stage in 5min! He breast crawled and latched on for a feed within 15min of birth and is a fabulous sucker!
    My midwife is a legend, what an amazing woman and midwife, I couldnt have done it without her!

It was everything I thought it would be and a fitting end to my personal birthing journeys, Ive truly been blessed with 3 beautiful birth's worth of memories to compliment 3 beautiful boys

River Stellan James
    31st March 2009
    Born @ 3:01pm after a 2hr1min spontaneous labour
    7lb 2oz (3230g)
    51cm long

Photos in the BB gallery

Dec 2005
    not with crazy people

Beautiful Anna. I am so glad that you didnt have to be induced this time round and your were at one with your body.

Perfect birth hon.... well done!!!!!!

oh and he is just gorgeous!!!!

Feb 2008
    Down Under

wow that is amazing!!!
    congrats xx

eta he shares the same birthday as me

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

what a wonder woman!!!

I am in awe of you - birthing goddess!!! *bows head*

good job love!!

Add ~clover~ on Facebook

Sep 2007
    travelling

Wow, beautiful
    Congrats again!

BTW - love the pics on FB. He's gorgeous!
    Last edited by ~clover~; March 31st, 2009 at 11:20 PM.

Sep 2007
    Cairns

You rock Anna! Well done hon, I'm glad you got your waterbirth!

Sep 2007
    Brisbane

Wow what an amazing birth! Glad you had the experience you wanted. And how fast did you put the birth story up! You are a champion!!! Well done Anna!

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Congrats Anna. Im glad you got the birth you wanted

Mar 2007
    Paradise

Well Done hun!!! He is an absolute stunner!!! Was the Earth room your choice? So glad he came on a day the normal MW was on call!!

Jul 2004
    Perth

I did a double take on his birth date when i read you let DH "get some last night". Im stunned you got your birth story up so quick.

Sounds like it was awesome. Well done and Congratulations

Dec 2007
    Victoria

Wow! How fabulous for all f you! Well done huni...

Welcome River....enjoy all the newborn fluff your mama has been hoarding for you!!

Rest up hun and enjoy your babymoon

Sep 2008
    Gold Coast

Congrats Anna, glad it worked out perfectly for you.xx

Senior Moderator

Nov 2004
    Chickens.

Congratulations on the birth of River! What a fabulous event!

Aug 2006

Wow, Anna that sounds like the most awesome birth, I hope mine is half as good!!

Congratulations again babe! Off to check out your spunky boy...

Jan 2006
    Sydney

Anna - that was just amazing. The difference in a natural birth is just incredible and you did a wonderful job. Congratulations on achieving the birth you wanted and into water as well You should be so very proud

Dec 2005

Congratulations! I'm glad you got the birth you wanted.

Add 1MOREPLZ on Facebook

Jan 2008
    sydney

wow...what a beautiful birth story...so glad everything went well for you hun

Jun 2008
    Tassie

yay Anna that's wonderful!!