Thread: The best and most stressful day of my life!

Smile The best and most stressful day of my life!

Hi - this is my story

I was put in hospital at 36 weeks with pre-eclampsia. After 2 long weeks of sitting in hospital i was booked in for a C section on 13th April. I have broken my Coxycc bone 3 times so my doctor didn't want to risk it.

I was all ready for the arrival of Charlie, my DH got there at 7am and i was booked in at 8am ( even got up at 4am and straightened my hair - couldn't sleep!!!)
    Everything was gowing great i had the epidural that was fine then they cut me open and pulled charlie out - it was after that, that my day just kept getting worse - even though i had this beautiful baby!

Once they pulled out Charlie they did all the usual stuff and then gave him to my husband to hold, they then noticed that he had started to turn blue and was really labouring for breath, they took him off my husband and put him in the incubater with oxygen, all this was happening whilst they were stitching me up.

I had to lie in recovery for 1/2 an hour until they took me back to my room ( longest 1/2 hour of my life!), as i was going back to my room they took me past the nursery were my little baby was lying in the incubator struggling to breath, i burst into tears and i don't think i stopped crying till the next day.

Charlie was on 60% oxygen i wasn't allowed to put my arms in and touch him or anything. I live in Portland - a fairly small country town and within 8 hours they had the aeroplane here to take him to the Royal Womens in Melbourne. They couldn't take me with him so the first day went by and i hadn't even held my baby all i could do was look at him.

My husband went in the ambulance out to the airport with Charlie and got phot's of him going in the aeroplane, he said it was so sad to watch him go.

I didn't sleep that night, Gavin stayed at the hospital with me then in the morning i got discharged from the hospital and we drove in the car to Melbourne ( about 4 1/2 hours)
    very painful with my c section
    We got to the Royal Womens at 7.30 that night and they took me up to see charlie - it was only then 35 hours later that i got to hold my little Boy.

Luckily for me the hospital in portland and the nurses here were sensational and very supportive.

My little boy is now healthy and going great. he really is perfect and being a mother is the hardest and most rewarding thing i have ever done in my life.

It really does amaze me how you can give birth one minute and then have this instant bond with your child.

OMG Jacci how hard for you.How great that you had sensational nurses - that must have made things so much more easier! I'm completely amazed to about the instant bond I had with Emerson as well - its amazing how much it changes you when you become a mum. Nothing you do while you're pregnant can prepare yourself for it I don't think.

Jacci thanks for sharing that - what a shock for you to have him whisked away. But I love a happy ending :-)

My gosh!, how worrying that must have been for you all!!. I remember with mine, the 30 minute car ride home after the c-section was hard and painful enough, let alone 4 1\2 hours!!!!!! :eek:
    So happy bub is doing well after such a scary start

Kirsty77 Guest

That made me cry!! I really feel for you not getting to hold him straight away, but your right the bond we have with our bubs is amazing, touch or not. That was beautiful.

kirsty Guest

Jacci thanx for sharing your story, I don't envy you the car trip to Melbourne less than 24hrs after a c-section but it is amazing what we can find the strength to do when it comes to our children.

I have to add that he sure is one gorgeous little boy, wishing you guys a lifetime of happiness

Thanks for sharing your story Jacci - it must have been so hard to be separated from your little one. I'm so glad that everything has worked out for you and your little boy

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Ouch on the car trip to Melbourne too. Good to hear that Charlie is doing well now though. Amazing how quick we'd walk over hot coals for our babies hey

Thank you for sharing your story Jacci. I can't imagine how awful it was not being able to hold Charlie for 35 hours, and I'm glad he's doing really well now.

Thanks for sharing Jacci. I had no idea you had to spend 2 weeks in hosp that would have been hard. But harder not to be able to hold your son and then to sit in the car a couple of days after the c/s your a very strong woman.
    Glad Charlie is a happy healthy bubba now!