Thread: The birth of Alexander Ivan

Default The birth of Alexander Ivan

Our big precious boy, Alexander Ivan was born on 7th June 2006; 4 days before his daddy flew out to Germany to watch the Socceroos play in the World Cup!

We nominated for and received tickets for World Cup soccer in April 2005, way before Alex was conceived and the socceroos had qualified. We were TTC to conceive at this point and as we had only taken 1 month to conceive our DD Gabriella we naively assumed it would be similar second time around. When we discovered we had gotten tickets we thought great, we would be travelling to Europe with a toddler and a baby. We had family in Switzerland who would assist us with looking after the children as would DH's parents who were planning to come with us and we would then all head to Croatia where we also had family. It was all planned but like all good plans this one came unstuck!

Each month nothing happened and the timing was getting closer to World Cup. As was our luck we fell pregnant and found out that the due date was 3 days before the start of World Cup 2006 - there was no way I was going!!!

Fast Forward 9 months and DH was still going to the soccer mainly due to me insisting he go - it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. As long as he was here for the birth was my stipulation. Baby was due on 6th June and I had had a complication free pregnancy besides some severe SPD. My obst had agreed to induce me a week before DH would fly out, 3rd June, to give us a few days together.

The 3rd was a Saturday, on the Tuesday I had a checkup and my ob said that as baby had not engaged he was not willing to induce. Being a public holiday in WA he said he would see me on my due date Tuesday 6th with the hope of inducing Wednesday 7th. I was pretty upset at all this but nothing I could do. Tuesday 6th we were given the green light for the next day - yippee we would finally meet our baby!!

Arrived at St John of God Hospital Murdoch at 7am and was shown to the birthing suite - lovely and s****y. My ob Dr Michael Price arrived at 7.30 where he proceeded to break my waters and insert a drip. The breaking of waters was a weird feeling, slightly more uncomfortable then an internal - I was more nervous then anything although DH did say I was grimacing a lot and his hand hurt!

The next hour went by quickly. Nothing really happened except we chatted away with our lovely midwife Carol who was in her final stages of training. By 8.30 my contractions started but they were only mildly uncomfortable. I was walking around, watching Sunrise and reading mags at this point. Some time around 9.30 I decided to ask for a heat pack as the contractions were coming faster. The heat pack was more of a comfort thing as opposed to doing much. At this point I was still walking around and attempting to read.

Around 10.30 the contractions were really hurting. I was checked and found to be around 4 cm dilated and was told that if I wanted an epidural the latest I could have it would be at around 7 cms. It was then I decided to take advantage of the shower so DH and I got changed and hopped in. The hot water was such a welcome relief and it was lovely to be sitting down in there with DH for company. Carol pretty much left us alone at this point as she could see we were coping. The contractions then started to come thick and fast and I was in quite some pain. I kept thinking "only a bit more" but eventually decided to request an injection of pethidine to help take the edge off.

I decidded to get out of the shower at around 11.30 feeling very wrinkly and by this stage a bit over heated. I was quite exhausted so chose to hop up on the bed in a semi seated position. I started to use the gas which took my mind off things but I was screaming in pain at thispoint and also requesting an epidural. Alas like with my DD it was too late for that. In between contractions I was almost falling asleep but would become very lucid very quickly when the pain set in.

Some time after 12 I felt an urgent need to push. I had 2 midwives with me at this stage and my wonderful DH who was helping and encouraging me so much. The midwives just told me to go with it and so with the help of my primal screams I managed to push Alexander Ivan out at 12.37pm, around 4 hours after contractions started.

The ob was around 10 minutes late and even the midwives were surprised at how quickly I had dilated. Alex was placed straight on me but was soon taken away and given oxygen as he was quite blue - apparently in part due to the pethidine. When they finally weighed him he came in at a massive 9lbs12ozs and 58 cms! Thank goodness I was induced when I was!!!

I ended up with a second degree tear which really wasnt that painful or uncomfortable, nothing that a few icepacks didn't help out with!

DH has now flown off to the soccer proud as punch and we have a gorgeous boy who is just adored by his big sister.

wow! awesome story. Yes i hope your dh has a wonderful time telling everyone about the quick and wonder*** birth of your son

Thanks so much for sharing your story! Glad your DH got to be there after all.

Awww what a nice story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

#karen# Guest

What a fantastic story, thanks for sharing. Glad it wasn't too long.

thanks for sharing, All the timing end up working out well for DH, i bet he is missing you all like crazy though! Well done to you he is a big boy, very long too! 4hr labour thats great!

tiggy Guest

thanks for sharing . glad the timing was right!

That was great! And I hope your hubby's teams do well too :-)

another june baby. Great to hear he came before hubby flew off to the World Cup!

Gabysmum,

Lovely birth story! Congratulations on the arrival of Alexander! Glad to hear that DH still went to the soccer, like you said its a once in a lifetime thing really! Maybe you could have called him Ronaldo, or Harry or Zinidine!!! NOT!!! lol Alexander is a gorgoues name!

Love Kel

mizzsocial Guest

wow your labor sounds so like mine!! Except i wasnt induced!!
    My son needed oxygen too due to the pethedine.. as i later on found out..

What a good weight for a bub!!

Congrats!!

mooshie Guest

thanks for sharing your birth story.

btw have you been able to get a copy of today's sunday herald sun in melbourne - page 6 article "no offside with missus" - great article and pics.

if you want i can cut it out for you and post it - just pm your details

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Congraulatins - wow, great short labor, very inspiring....I like hearing stories like this when I'm so close... he hee

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It was a really lovely birth.

Mooshie, I would love a copy of the article but I am unable to pm you as am not platinum member - are you able to email me and I can then give you my details? Thanks