Thread: The Birth of Stacey Elizabeth

Default The Birth of Stacey Elizabeth

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would share my story with everyone in here too.

Well it all started on December 6th a Monday with me waking in the middle of the night with minor contractions, however painful when they were coming. Throughout my pregnancy I was seeing my Ob Dr Waterfield as sharecare but was going to deliver the baby with the midwives in the Base Hospital. So Tuesday morning around 9am they stopped. I ended up getting 'a show' and losing my mucus plug all that day, then around 6pm the contractions started again. Wednesday morning we go up to the hospital and see this midwife but she said she wasnt even going to do an internal as she didnt think things were going fast & told us to go home.

That afternoon Wednesday DP & myself go for a long walk along the waterfront. Just as we turn around to get to the car, a huge storm comes in over the water from nowhere!! DP runs back to get the car while giving me the mobile phones to stick down my pants underneath my belly which he calls the verandah!!!LOL I was leaning against a palm tree to shelter from the rain, so every second person who came past asked if I was OK. We finally made it home saturated!! We went for another walk around the block about 8.30pm that Wednesday night, which must have worked as back we go to the hospital!!!! They said they could give me a shot of pethadine but I would have to stay or they could give me 2 sleeping tablets & I could go home and try and sleep there. We opted for the later as we only live 2 mins drive from the hospital plus we hadnt really had any sleep since Sunday night. BAD MOVE!!! Should have stayed at the hospital, as we just got home, DP went to bed but 1/2 hour later I was waking him to take me back to the hospital.

Went back to the hospital, got put in the same birthsuite. Not much happened that night. I had a shot of pethadine and what is with midwives trying to do an internal while your contracting!!!!!!! Generally dozed for 5 mins, contracted for 5 mins etc, right through the early hours of Thursday morning. At 8.30am that morning, I asked for an epidural which was given to me. With the change of midwives that morning, we ended up with the one from Wednesday morning, who I didnt really like. She was with us until about 4pm that afternoon. I spent that day hooked up to the monitors etc. They ended up putting a catherter in as I wasnt peeing enough!!.

DP was watching the monitor and noticed that everytime I had a contraction the heartrate would drop. He asked this midwife about it and she just looked at him and said it was normal. So a new midwife came on at 4pm that Thursday and looked at the monitor, my catherter bag etc and realized that things weren't happening real fast. She did an internal at 4.30pm and I had dilated to 8cm, 1cm since 12.30pm. She broke my waters to try and get things moving but nothing happened. At 6.30-7pm she said I may have to go down to theatre and have a caeser as the babys head was still at station -1, -2 so she was going to ring the Dr on call to see what he wanted to do. Guess What???? The Dr on call happened to be Dr Waterfield who I was seeing for sharecare. He said to prep for theatre and he would be in shortly. He came in did an internal and we all went down to theatre. She was finally born on thursdy 9th December at 8.09pm. We added up all the hours from the first contraction not including the Tuesday when they stopped at it totals at 59hours to end up with a Caeser. The midwife who delivered her wasnt very happy as she said my waters should have been broken at midday then they would have known.

Then when I was on the ward, the 2nd night I ended up with this witch midwife, I called her as Stacey was upset to ask her if babies are like this, or was she not getting enough milk etc. She said, " Just think where she has been for the past 9 months! She has been in you so she wants to be with you, she can smell you, so if you have to sleep with her on your stomach well then thats what you have to do." I couldnt think of anything better, just after all those hours, no sleep then a caeser!!! I started getting teary and she said, " Well you getting all upset isnt going to make it better, that will only upset her more." So I phoned DP at 6.30am from my mobile in the hospital in tears, asking him to come and pick me up when he finished work on Saturday morning. But after all that she is worth it. The only really good things that happened at the hospital were, having my OB and getting to take Stacey home.

So I hope I havent bored you guys to much.

Thanks for listening to my thesis.
    Take Care
    Katie

OMG Katie, what a shocker of a midwife. Glad everything turned out alright in the end though.

Katie, you should be so proud of yourself, what a horrible midwife and bad experience but so glad Stacey was all worth it for you!

Jess

Thanks for sharing your amazing story Katie. Glad to hear all was well in the end. What a long labour !!

Love

Pietta Guest

Glad to hear all worked out in the end. Congrats!!!

Melinda Guest

OMG Katie, you poor thing. I can totally sympathise with having nasty midwives - it sounds like you and I both had a nasty experience on that front! They can be so very insensitive at times and seem to say things in the wee hours of the morning when you've been without sleep for days on end..........

But what a marvellous job you did bringing Stacey into the world..... a big pat on the back for you! I know how hard it is having a long labour, no sleep etc only to wind up with an emergency caesar.........it's hard work, but the reward is great hey?

Again, well done!!!

Well done. Thank you for sharing your story with us. What a B of a midwife though. Lets just hope if and when she does have kids she has a real bugger of a time. That will teach her.

Take care
    Trish

CONGRATULATIONS Katie on the birth of Stacey

Shame about the cow midwife though, I can relate!!!

Oh what a mean midwife! I had one of them once and GRRR to the insensitive cows! Sorry, got a bit carried away. So glad everything worked out well and your darling Staceuy was delivered safely. Hope you are all well and had a lovely xmas
    Best wishes Michelle

glad to hear it all worked out ok, grr at the midwife

take care
    Lesley

IKWYM about horrid midwives...

Congratulations on the birth of Stacey. You've done a fantastic job and I love her name.

Well done.

Great story! Grrr at midwife...it is very easy for them to say things when they are not the ones experiencing it!

Bon

Katie, Thank you for sharing your story with us, what a dreadful, dreadful mIdwife, sounds like she needs some educating I have no idea why they employ Midwifes like that but you always seem to come across 1 in almost every Hospital. Glad all is well now.

Take Care

Deeanne

Congrats Katie and welcome to the world Stacey.

I am sorry that you had a horrid midwife and then a caesar after a long labour, but glad that everything turned out okay in the end.

Scarlett Guest

Congratulations katie, I'm glad stacey is here safe and sound.

What a shame though that you ended up with someone so horrible.