Thread: Birth Story of Declan John

Default Birth Story of Declan John

Well it all began last Monday I guess (27th March) which was when I had my appt with the midwifes I had suspected my waters my have been leaking so they did a test and it appeared that they hadn't been however the test only work if the "leak" was there within the last 24hrs which I think it may have been slightly before that, but as it wasn't a gush or anything I didn't think any more of it.

Tuesday (28th March) was just an ordinary un eventful day I went for my usual walk to try and bring thing on, but to no avail.

Wednesday (29th March) my day was as usual walk and rest etc and in the evening I was watching T.V and I felt like I was leaking again so I rang the maternity ward and they asked me to come in. When we got there they put me on the ctg machine to moitor bubs and any contractions. I was having contractions between 5 - 10 mins apart. The midwife did a swab and yes it appeared I had sprung a leak, the midwife suspected this to be in my hind waters. I was admitted to hospital and given some sleeping tablets and off I went to bed eargerly anticipating something to happed but nothing did!

Thursday (30th March) I was monitored on the ctg maching every 4 hrs to make sure all was ok I was still getting contractions 5-10 mins apart but wasn't getting anything regular. Dh and I spent the day pacing around the hospital walking up and down stairs to try and get something to happen and avoid being induced as the nurses were worried about infection. That night some more sleeping tablets and off to bed I went nothing much happening at all.

Friday (31st March) well it was D day today I had gone over 24 hrs well and truly and nothing was happening so it mean I was to be induced. The Dr saw me that morning and attempted to break my waters I was 4cm dilated at this point in time (not that they told me this till later) I was told my cervix was ripe so the gel would be useless so I would be hooked up to the drip once the Dr had finished her rounds and a booked C- Section. Dh and I waited patinetly for the Dr's return DH was getting more nervous than I was I guess I was really ready for things to happen at this stage.
    At about 10:30am the midwifes took me up to the birthing suite and hooked me up to the drip and the CTG maching (which was a new beaut one and wireless so I could move around as much as I liked it was even water proof) every 30 mins the drip was intensified. It made my contraction come regular almost immediatly even at the lowest dose contractions were 6 mins apart. As I said every 30mins the drip was increased DH and I watched some TV went for a walk etc etc I was coping well. At about 4:30pm contractions were about 2 mins apart and getting a bit ouchie but I was coping DH couldn't even tell I was having them unless he looked at the CTG machine anyway bubs heart rate started to drop with the contractions to 90bpm so the Dr was called in to assess me this was when they informed me I was 4cm dilated just as I was that morning) I looked at her thinking what that would of been nice to know this morning, but anyway. She managed to pop the remaninder of my waters with the next contraction as she couldn't get them all that morning. Now that was OUCHIE! she could feel bubs head there but as bubs was distressing she decided it was not worth the risk to continue on and said to me to think about what I wanted to do i.e. spinal or full knocked out. (oh I forgot to say as soon as bubs stated distressing the drip was turned off)
    DH and I were umming and arring I kinda wanted a spinal so he could be there but I was so scared and didn't know if I could let them put it in DH was saying just get knocked out so you can calm down as I was an emotional wreck at this stage tears every where as was he in sympathy as he knew how much I didn't want a section, anyway in the end the decision was made for me I could go into theatre at 6pm for a spinal or 8pm fully knocked out. I was not prepared to wait so I was preped for theatre and my BP was all over the place. A cathedar(sp?) was inserted and we all went down to theatre.
    DH got to dress all in blue scrubs (he was rather impressed about this part) and waiting in the wings so to speak whilst I was with the orderly and the antisthetic guy who I must say without I would not of coped as well the orderly distracted me and calmed me down, then I felt the worst pain that I had ever felt in my life (to this point in the story any way) which was of course them trying to do the spinal it took 2 attempt to get it done and what as probably 5 mins seemed like a life time.
    Dh was then brought in and he held my hand my legs were numb of course but I felt like I couldn't move anything at all then the first incesion was made this was when the anesthetic guy made my section not as bad he told me everything I was doing and the moment I said I didn't feel well or was dizzy or whatever he fixed the pain right away. But even more so he tole me everything that was going on and told me everything was going as it should etc etc
    As the Dr was pulling out bubs the anesthetic guy said to DH you gotta see this and in a way made him stand up to look (DH was sooo not gonna look if he hadn't of made him) the anesthetic guys said to DH what do you think of that (being bubs laying between my legs) DH was lost for words not that he could talk anyway due to the tears running down his face. This was at 6:29pm.
    They walked bubs passed so I could see he was quite purple but crying so I knew he was fine. The drs wrapped him up and made sure he was a ok and then handed him to DH whilst the Dr's proceeding to stitch me back up.
    Dh laid our beautiful little boy on my chest so I could have a good look at him and he was just perfect then DH and bubs and the midwfe had to go out whilst I was all finished up. I was then taken to recovery where I fed my little man for the first time it was just so sureal and I couldn't believe that he was mine.
    We were then taken back to the ward where bubs was weighed and measured he weighed 8p15o and was 52cm long with a head circumfrance of 35cm. His apgar was 9 initially and 10 at 5 mins.
    That night was so hard as when bubs cried I could get up to tend to him I had to buzz the midwifes to help me everytime which was so frustrating.

Saturday 1st April my cathedar was taken out and it was time for me to try and get up ok now this is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. I went to have a shower with the midwife helping me to get there I sat on a seat and let the water run over me it felt so good, untill i turned the water off I was sitting there drying my self and I started to feel dizzy so I pushed the buzzer for the midwife to come and help me and she started talking to me and sounded like an out of tuned radio station all staticy. She told me to put my head as far down as I could and breathe. I wasn't feeling any better so they had to call for a wheel chair. I was starting to panic I though I was going to die or something. Anyway they got me in the wheel chair (midwife DH and an orderly) and got me back into bed DH was stressing asking if I was ok as soon as I lied down I had some morphine and I started to come right again, but was so scarry. every time I needed to wee or something after this I was so scared.

Anyway every day I got a little bit better and could do more for Declan which was great he is a little trooper feeding and sleeping pretty well too. On Tuesday 4th March I was discharged from hospital and got to come home and how nice that dresh air was I must say not to mention sleeping in my own bed and not having to listed to like 6 other babies crying all night.

So thats my story I hope I haven't made to many speeling mistaked and it all makes sense as I am writting this after being slighly sleep deprived for over a week. There are pics of my little man on my www for any one interested in having a little look see.

Thanks for reading my novel

Congratulations again Bec!

He is absolutely beautiful and you should be so proud =D>

Awww Becky, Declan is gorgeous!!

Thanks for sharing your story with us

Congrats Becky - so glad Declan is finally here for you and you're both doing so well now.

Look forward to sharing the baby journey with you!

Bec - thank you for sharing your story. He is beautiful!! Your story brought back memories for me - I had an anesthetist just like yours who was wonderful. I hope your recover is fast.

Thanks for sharing it was lovely to read!!!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks for sharing your story, congrats again to you and DH

Congratulations Bek, he is gorgeous!

Congratulations again Bec! Declan is gorgeous.

Thanks Becky - here's to a speedy recovery.

alex c Guest

what a lovely story i enjoyed reading that thank you...and congratulations Bec...

Thanks Becky for sharing Declan's borth story.. Congratulations to youall. He is such a cutie..

What a cuite!! love all the pics, thanks for sharing your story hope you are recovering well.

Becky - what a cute little boy - great pics - congrats

Becky, thank you for sharing your story with us. Congratulations again matey and I am so happy Declan is safe in your arms.