Thread: The birth of Theodora Posy

Default The birth of Theodora Posy

It was about 5.30 am on 26 Feb and I awoke to mild period-type aches. I dozed for awhile then stood up to go to the bathroom. I noticed I felt a little sticky and sure enough upon closer examination the mucous plug was coming out. I put in a pad and went back to sleep. DH got up to get ready for work around 7 am and as usual asked if I was in labour. This time I was able to say 'I'm not sure'. He looked excited.

We rang my doula to let her know what was happening and she advised that it could be very early stages and DH should go to work. I snoozed on and off until 10.30 with the mild aches continuing. Next trip to the toilet my waters broke. I rang my doula again and she said to ring my OB. His receptionist paged him and he told her I was to come in to the hospital. I rang DH and he came straight home and took me in.

By the time we got there the contractions were around 12 minutes apart and still manageable. A midwife did the fetal baseline monitoring which was all good. I did the Herald Sun quiz with DH while we waited for the OB and I started gushing amniotic fluid. OB arrived and assessed that we should go home for me to continue labouring. This was fine with me, but the car ride home again sucked. My little Astra has the tightest, bumpiest suspension!

At home the contractions steadily increased 7 minutes apart, then 5. I put on some music, and DH started massaging and pressing my sacrum. Next we moved to the shower and he sprayed my lower back with hot water, and gave me great encouragement through the contractions. I was really having to use all my Calm Birth breathing techniques. Got out of the shower and dried off. We rang my doula, my mum and the hospital. By now the contractions had been 3 minutes apart for an hour. Time to go!

DH packed me into the huge back bench seat of his 1969 Valiant, and off we went through peak hour traffic to the hospital. It took about 20 minutes, but thankfully the contractions slowed down to 5 minutes apart during the ride, while was a good thing, because DH took a turn down a side street which seemed to have about 30 speed humps!

As soon as we arrived at the hospital and were ushered into the birth suite, the contractions picked up again. Having to lie still during the fetal baseline monitoring was really hard. The straps kept slipping as I moved around. Finally, they got a good read. The OB arrived and did an internal. I was 7-8 cm dilated. By now it was around 7 pm and it was time to get in the (enormous!) bath. I sat on the toilet while the bath filled and suddenly felt like a cantaloupe was coming down my back passage. I yelled really loud for the entire contraction. DH got me into the bath with him. He massaged and stroked me and tried to get me to think about our honeymoon in the Daintree rainforest - the beautiful plants, wildlife and river. I breathed as best I could and yelled again through the really intense bits. My doula arrived (her car had broken down in the city on her way to the hospital!) and joined DH in stroking, encouraging and massaging me. After more yelling from me, the midwife said she thought I was probably ready to push. Out of the bath and on the bed for another internal, and sure enough I was 10 cm dilated. She started instructing me to push, while I gripped for dear life DH and doula's hands.

The OB arrived and he and the midwives put on plastic aprons and gloves. It was really all happening now! I pushed and panted and the baby's head started to crown. My fanny was burning, stinging and stretching. So intense! I was feeling really scared now. A few more pushes and her whole head popped out. I was able to look in the mirror and see her little face. She looked so calm and patient! I was in love already! Everyone was trying to get me to pant rather than push, but I couldn't control it. I yelled so loud and out came her shoulders and body. The OB put her straight on my chest, and I was the happiest I have ever been. DH was smiling and tearing up. Our beautiful little girl, Theodora Posy was finally here! This was our greatest achievement together.

The placenta was delivered within 15 minutes with no injection needed. I had a 1st degree tear which the OB quickly stitched up.

The birth was one of the greatest (if hardest) experiences of my life. I didn't use any pain relief, and I felt really terrific afterwards. This was due in large part to the amazing support of DH and my doula and a fantastic midwife gave me. I can't say enough about the care and support I received for this birth. Also, I was so proud of myself!

What a great story, congratulations and well done!

You did a fantastic job, well done!!!

Thanks for sharing your awesome story

thanks for sharing hun!

Oh wow, fantastic first experience! Well done Mhami!! Brilliant control during birth

Congratulations on your great birth, we have done calmbirth classes too. really hoping that they help!

Fantastic birth story, congratulations

Yey Mhami! Great birth story! Go the calmbirthing!! xoxo

Well done Mhami! Great to hear you had the birth you wanted. Your DH sounds so sweet!

I can't believe your doula's car broke down!

Well done on achieving the birth you wanted. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations again.