Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon's birth (TMI warning: I've been brutally honest)

Default Brandon's birth (TMI warning: I've been brutally honest)

I woke up at about 6am on Saturday with really strong contractions, which were about 7 mins apart. The midwife at my appointment the day before had said not to come in until they were at least down to 4mins apart, because there is a set amount of time you are allowed to labour without progress in the birth centre, before they have to pass you on to the normal suites for intervention.

At 7:30, the pain was so bad, I had to get up and get in the bath. Still five mins apart, and by that point, I didn't care if things slowed down, as long as the pain went away. (Labouring in the bath can slow things down if you aren't dilated to a certain point, but past that it can actually speed things up: not that I knew that last bit at the time)

THe water didn't get rid of the pain like it had the day before, and during the last weeks of pregnancy, but it did reduce it to incredibly painful, instead of unbearably excruitiating. I kept timing the contractions until about nine am, when I was so relaxed by the water I sort of went into a daze and forgot.

It would have been about 10am ish when I felt the urge to poo. There was no way I was going to be getting out of the bath, so, (and I know this is kinda gross, but I didn't care at the time) I just pushed in the bath. I figured I could scoop it out and flush it later. The contractions were still fierce at this stage.

After about 40mins of pushing trying to poo, I suddenly realised, that I couldn''t not push, and the thought came to me that this might be it.
    I felt between my legs as the next one came, and to my shock, I could feel the head poking through slightly! I remember thinking, That's not right, you get back in there! Which he did after the contraction ended. I thought that as soon as I''d got my breath back, I'd get out of the bath, and get Jonathan to call the ambulance. But I'd only just leant back again after it was over, and the next contraction came! I screamed out to J to call the ambulance because we weren't going to make it to hospital, his head was showing!

He rang 000, and I heard him saying to the girl "she's a first time mother" and I thought, Great, they probably think I've got hours to go still, and I knew I didn't. He knew I had no idea how far apart the contractions were by that stage, so he had to come in and time them. They were 2mins apart, and after the second one, Brandon's head was about an inch out. He went and told the girl the time, and I screamed out to him that they'd better hurry up, he was crowning.

So they told J to get me out of the bath, which he thought was a bad idea, but said he see if I could. I said I could move, but I was thinking that every time I'd changed positions in the last two days, I'd had a contraction. Sure enough, I rolled onto my hands and knees I said to J, I can't move here comes another one. I pushed and screamed "he's coming" and with that, little Brandon Codi slid into the world. Dad caught him before he hit the water (although caught is the wrong word, because Jonathan had Brandon's head in his hand as soon as it was out, and J never let go) and then passed our son onto me while he went back to the phone. The girl told him to keep the two of us warm while the ambulance arrived, which it did 5 mins later.

Brandon weighed 3280gms, and was 54cm long, with a head circumference of 34cm (and it felt it too! )

Looking down at him in my arms now, I still can't believe that anything this beautiful could come out of me! I'm soooo proud of Jonathan you can't believe! He says he just did what anyone else would have done, but I guarentee at least one of my BILs would have fainted!

So I got my water birth, without drugs. All in all, it was a lot less painful than I expected, except for the final stage contractions (before I got into the bath) which were a lot worse than I thought would be. I had no tearing, and only slight grazes (probably from someone's very sharp fingernails on the way out!) outside. I did get a blood blister higher up though, and that is quite painful. Makes it hard to sit in most positions. (which is why it's taken a super addict like me two days at home to post this! )

I guess we should have known that my son's birth would be anything but normal!

hey susan,
    WOW what an exciting birth. well he seemed like he wanted to make a grand entrance and that he did indeed..
    good to hear your both doing well (in your other post)..

it is hard to believe the little baby has come from you isnt it.. it was very hard to believe it when josh was born..

im glad he made it and im proud of jonathon too, he can tell brandon when he asked who delivered him, he can say that he did and that must be a very special feeling..

take care
    Lesley

Melinda Guest

That would have to be one of the most amazing birth stories I have ever read!!! What an amazing entrance into the world!!

I can only begin to imagine how proud you must be of Jonathon, and how proud he is!! You've brought an amazing little man into the world in spectacular fashion!

Thank you so much for sharing your story and for being so honest about it too! And I know I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again:

WELCOME TO THE WORLD BRANDON!!! And a HUUUUUUUGE congratulations and thumbs up to both you and Jonathon!!!

Wow Susan that has given me goosebumps all over

Congratulations on getting your natural water birth - not that it was exactly as planned LOL!! A big well done to Jonathon as well

An awesome birth story Susan, I am so glad it all went well for you. Once again congratulations to both you and Johnathon, and welcome Brandon we are happy you have finally arrived.

Love :smt049

Pietta Guest

oh Susan that is a wonderful birth story. Definately memorable. Well done to Jonathon. Welcome to Brandon, and thank you for the pics!! He is adorable. They are sooooooooo little arent they!!

Thanks for the positive with the water too. Just what I needed to hear.

Take care all 3 of you.

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!! :smt041

Thats an incredible birth story!! So much better than the one's I've been told in the last two weeks... So much so I'm scared and holding my legs closed!LOL! But your family is fantastic!! Little Brandon did wonders! And you had your water birth! I'm so happy for you!

I hope that blood blister settles! :-s

Christy

katanya Guest

WOW
    =D>
    That is an amazing story, I almost wish I could have mine in our tub too!! Although I'm not sure my partner would handle it as calmly? Though we don't know what anyone's capable of under that sitution...

I think you must have a high pain tolerance, it sounds as though you handled it all so well, that is an incrediable start to life!! Inspirational too!!

Well DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcia Guest

What an incredible birth story susan!! Thankyou for being brutally honest too, I think I'd rather hear the whole truth than little bits left out to shock me on the day lol. It sounds like you and Jonathon handled it so well and you should both be so proud! I have to say too that your story has put my mind at ease a little bit as I really want to try not to have any drugs during my labour either and it is nice to hear that you made it through all that pain without it. Congratulations!!

Oh wow!! What an amazing entrance little Brandon made! Thanks for sharing your story Susan, and a big congrats!

WOW! I have tears in my eyes and goosebumps Susan. You and Jonathon did an amazing job to deliver your baby. You must be so proud of yourselves and each other. And little Brandon will also be proud of you both when he gets to hear the story too.

So have you contemplated whether you would opt for a home birth next time? LOL

I think you would cope fine. If that had hasppened to me with my first I would have been an absolute mess.

Congrats again and you guys are amazing.
    Best wishes Michelle

bettyblue Guest

congrats susan, can't believe you did it by yourselves at home! Funnily enough, our little Charlotte Rose was born also on the 24th April, (9.24am) but after 11.5 hours labour then emergency c section.

Hope you are doing well

All the best

Melinda Guest

Congratulations Betty, and welcome to the world Charlotte Rose!!

Congratulation Betty

Welcome to little Charlotte Rose

congratulations betty
    and welcome little charlotte

Congrats Betty!! And welcome Charlotte!

CONGRATULATIONS BETTY !!!!!!!

I knew both you and Susan would go the same day LOL.

Welcome to the world Charlotte !!

Love :smt049

Congratulations Betty & family!! I hope this recovery time goes quickly for you and Charlotte!

Christy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast