Thread: Cailan's c section

Talking Cailan's c section

Well, I know this is late but better late than never hey?
    I went into Taree Manning Base Hospital on the 9th of March, due to have a c section the next morning at 8am. I hardly slept a wink all night. There was a girl in the bed next to me who was just given the gel and couldn't sleep either so it was nice to have a chat to get our minds off things. I was prepped for surgery at around 7am. The catheta was put in (ughh) and then I was wheeled up stairs. It was actually all very relaxed until the aneathetists came to give me my drip and put the spinal in. I got onto the table and the two of them were behind me muttering to themselves. At one stage I heard one of them say "Oh, I just hit the bone." It was pretty painful but I sucked it up and waited to feel my legs going numb. After about 15/20 minutes of them trying to put the spinal in, one of them told me that I was carrying too much weight and they couldn't get it in. I ended up having a general and woke up in the recovery room, freezing. They wrapped me in a tonne of warm towels and blankets and I was taken back to my room. I felt pretty good, better than after the spinals with my previous two c secs. I was actually very alert andfelt fantastic. I had a self medicating machine thing (not sure exactly what they are called? PDA?) with fentenol. That drug is fantastic for pain releif! I found out Cailan Tate was delivered at around 9:15, weighing 8lbs 12ozs, 52cms long and hc of 36.5cms. He was put to the breast at 11:15. He took right to it and I was so releived (I had trouble feeding both DS#1 and #2). I ended up with an infection in my right lung and also a UTI. *Linda* came to visit me in hospital and it was really great to have a visitor. Since I live in Gloucester, an hour away from Taree, I had hardly any visits from my family. It was very lonely. I left hospital the following Wednesday and I was so happy to be home. Cailan is now 8 weeks old and I can't even remember the pain. I feel a bit funny not knowing what happened in theatre but I will never know. It is sad not being awake when your baby comes into the world, not hearing his first cries but I am looking on the positive that he was healthy and beautiful.

Wooohoo Congratulations!

Sounds like the c-section went pretty well, even if they couldnt get the spinal block in right... Some doctors are so unco they cant even take blood (as my step dad found out in hospital once and ended up with a black arm for a while from all the bruises) Hope the infection and UTI didnt cause you too many probs.

Thanks for sharing your birth story! after just having a caesarian i know how the needle in the back hurts, they must have been really hurtiung you for a while there trying to get it in the right spot, atleast then you had a nice sleep and woke up with the best present ever! Hope you are both well!

Kellee Guest

What a lovely waking up present you had! Hope everything is going well.

Thanks for sharing your story Steph. It doesn't always work out exactly the way we want but good on you for looking on the bright side...

Cheers!

Sal Guest

what a shame you had to be knocked out. YAY on being able to BF easily with Cailan!

What a shame you had to be knocked out. I hope everyting is going well now for both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your story Steph! I can't believe it has been so long already! Wow time flies!!

What a little champ with the bf!! I hope it is still all going well for you! :flower: