Thread: Charlotte Daisy's Arrival

Default Charlotte Daisy's Arrival

Here is my story of the arrival of my beautiful daughter, Charlotte Daisy.

2am-ish: Monday 12th Feb (2 days before my due date) I had my usual trip to the loo which I could just about do with my eyes closed.

3am: I woke with the feeling that I needed to pee again. I layed there for a minute thinking, surely I don't need to go again, maybe I can hold on a little longer. Then I started leaking, and I thought oh-oh, is this my water breaking???? I stood up to go back to the loo..... and gush!!! OMG!!! My water just broke!!!! I hadn't has a show, or any contractions yet. After a bit of a clean up, I woke DH and told him that my water just broke. Well his reaction was hilarious! He sat bolt upright in bed and said "We-need-to-call-the-hospital-have-you-got-the-number?-I'll-get-the-number-for-you!" He was so cute! I called the hospital and the midwife said to have a shower and to slowly make our way to the hospital.

4am: We arrived at the hospital and were shown to the delivery suite. I had some contractions, but they weren't strong or regular. After awhile I was examined and was 1cm dialated. DH and I made ourselves comfortable and watched the tennis on the TV, thinking OMG we have a baby on the way!

8.30am: My Ob made an appearance, he was on his way to do a caesar. By that stage my contractions were still not very regular or strong so my Ob gave me the option to either wait 24 hours and see what happens, or I could be induced. I thought, well I'm here, let's get this thing over with..... induce me! I don't know if I could have waited.

10am-ish: The drip was put in, things were getting started! Every half hour the midwife came in and turned the drip up to help get the contractions nice and strong. After awhile, I opted to try the gas as the contractions were starting to get ouchy.

12pm: I was offered pethidene. I had an internal- 3cm, so it was safe to have the pethidene, which I had. As far as pain relief was concerned, I was taking the see-how-I-go approach. I didn't know what my pain threshold would be, but I wanted to try and do it without an epidural. Oh and by the way, at this stage Charlotte was posterior as well, but I didn't have any back pain which what I have read is associated with posterior bubs.

I pretty much lost track of time from here on in.

For most of my labour I was being monitored as they found that with each contraction, Charlotte's heart rate was going down which was scary.

The midwife eventually turned up the drip fully, so it was getting quite ouchy- I was swaying,walking, using heat packs and sucking on that gas! I would've liked to have been in the shower, but I had the monitors attached to me.

The midwife eventually turned the drip down as they were staring to get really worried about Charlotte's heart rate. The contractions continued to be strong, and they just kept on monitoring me. The midwives also kept calling my Ob to give him updates as they were getting quite worried.

They finally decided to monitor Charlotte using the scalp clip as it was more accurate than the monitor on the outside of my belly. It wasn't too long after that (I think) that my Ob made another appearance (he had made several appearnaces throughout the day, I just can't remember when). Anyway, he was basically on his way in to tell me that he was worried about Charlotte's heart rate and I would have to have a caesar. But before he could say anything, I told him that I could now feel pressure in my bottom. He did an internal, and I was fully dialated. Although during the internal, I had a contraction, an he pushed the lip of my cervix over Charlotte's head!!!! OUCH!!!! (By this stage, the pethidene had worn off!!!) Anyway, it was time to start pushing!!!

Well, we had to get Charlotte out in a hurry, because of her dropping heart rate, so my Ob used the vaccuum. I pushed and he pulled, although he was pulling so hard, the vaccuum came off her head and he had to put it back on, ouch again! Four contractions later, my beautiful Charlotte Daisy was born!! When her head popped out, she was face up, DH said that she opened her eyes and looked around, as my Ob checked her neck for the cord. (He thought that was the reason for her dropping heart rate, but the cord was not around her neck). Oh and the back pain appeared when she was on the way out!!! Ouch again!!

Charlotte was wrapped in a towel, handed to me, and I fell in love with this perfect little person.

DH and I didn't find out the sex while I was pregnant, but just about everyone had decided that I was having a boy, just by the way I was carrying. I was in shock at what I had just done, I had a baby! My Ob just looked up at me and said, "well, what is it?" DH and I hadn't looked yet. We looked to discover that we had a daughter! She was a surprise!

As for me, I ended up with an episiotomy, a 3rd degree tear and a million stitches, but it was all worth it! And I did it without an epidural!!!

Time of birth: 3.55pm
    Weight: 3320gms (7 pounds 5 ounces)
    Length: 53cm
    Head circumference: 33cm

Well, we're settling in to home life now, and Charlotte is feeding and sleeping well (so far so good!)

I hope you enjoyed reading our birth story!!!

Love Jess and Charlotte.

Congrats on the safe arrival of Charlotte..Wat a wonderful story and well done i love the name too beautiful

Congratulations on your daughter, and I agree, the name is beautiful!

Oh, what a beautiful story. Great work!

What an adorable name! I love it! Congratulations

congrats on ur daughter. what a sweet sweet name

Wonderful story Jess. Thank you.

Well done!

So appreciate you writing your wonderful birth story...

And welcome beautiful Charlotte!

what a wonderful birth story, thank you for sharing it with us,

Also what a wonderful name you have for you daughter

Well done, Jess. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Thanks for your lovely story.... i love reading them.... gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling!

Wow - Congratulations! Sounds like you did very well to avoid an epidural!!

Yay Jess! Well done! Congrats and hugs to you and your little Charlotte Daisy.

Jo
    x

OH! I just had to pop in, as I also have a Charlotte Daisy (but she's 6 months older than your little one) - mine was born 14/8/06. It really is a pretty name, isnt it?

What a good birth story

Well done and Congratulations

Well done. Hello little Charlotte