Thread: Cooper Jack's birth

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Default Cooper Jack's birth

After having a hellish birth for my first son (I will start another thread for that one!) I decided before I even fell pregnant that I would ask to be induced. My Ob has a no intervention policy, but after my first delivery and subsequent discussions, he supported my request to be induced.

After a great pregnancy my Obs and I decided I would be induced at 39 weeks. Monday the 20th of March came and we headed off to the hosp at 6.30am dropping No#1 off at my sisters to be collected later by my parents.

I was admitted at 7.30am and got ready for my Obs to come and break my waters which he did at 8.50am. I was expecting lots of pain, but it was really nothing more than an uncomfortable internal followed by that familiar gush! It was then that one of my best friends arrived as she was there to support both my husband and I and be the photographer!

I have a deathly fear of the drip given all of the hellish stories you hear (Which are mainly for 1st time mothers) so I asked for the drip not to be started straight away and allow me to walk around the hospital with my friend to see if I could get anything started on my own.

At 10.30am I agreed to have the drip started. I am pleased to say that it started as merely pressure and was increased every half hour. I was adamant that I did not want to have an epidural (I had one with the first that did not work properly) and was able to adjust to the pain as the contractions increased at a steady pace.

I had an internal at one stage (I think it was about 2.30 - 3.00pm) and was firstly told that I had not dilated, only to be examined by another midwife who was able to push my cervix right up to 6cm?????????? Has anyone else had this? It was about this time that I started asking for an epidural only to be told it was too late. I was still focused on the 6cm when they were wheeling the baby trolley in and swearing that I could not do it and that I was only 6cm dilated.

Straight after this my Obs arrived and informed me that I was right to push! It was about this time that I was asking him to use the forceps!!!!!! My Obs had to push my cervix back as I pushed with a contraction and then once he had pushed my cervix back I was able to feel Cooper moving down and being born!

Cooper Jack was born at 3.29pm weighing 3430gm and 49cms long.

I felt so fantastic after having met my goals for my birth ie: no epidural minimal drugs I had gas more for the focal point than anything, and no forceps.

As much as I love my husband, he really was not the best support person and I relied much more on my friend. I think her presence gave the relaxed and happy atmosphere I was after.

I can not speak highly enough of both my Obs and the midwives, as I fell like I had control over the situation and my wants were paramount in their care of me!

I was such a contrast to DS #1 that I am ready to go again!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you Relle! All in a day's work eh?
    Pity about your hubby....hope mine fares better!

I am so Jealous!!Induced and no epidural i am dumbfouned:eek:

That was great. Well done!

Congrats on the birth of your little man Cooper and for having the birth you wanted

Congrats on having a positive birthing experience. WTG