Thread: How Marley Grace entered the world

Default How Marley Grace entered the world

Labour with my first pregnancy was beautiful. 13 hours long but an epidural after 7 hours made it very peaceful and relaxed. Chelsea was born on her due date. I thought "yeah I could do this again".

Marley was due 19 June 2006. Everyone made jokes about whether she would be born on her due date to. In the days leading up to her arrival, I thought I was in labour many times but they were all false alarms (me just freaking out I think LOL!). On Saturday 17 June I had a show, but only very small. Sunday 18 June a much bigger show. I start getting rather nervous. I went about my day as usual (housework!) and nothing had happened. Then about 6pm while getting washing out of the machine, I felt that first contraction. I forgot how sharp and intense the pain was. Told DH, he went a bit pale and told me to sit down. We had dinner and the pains went away. I had a feeling it was going to happen so rang MIL to collect Chelsea for the night. I didn't want to be running around in the middle of the night dropping her off. Lucky we did!!!

Watched TV and all the pains had stopped, another false alarm I thought. Went to bed at 11pm and left DH watching Australia V Brazil in the World Cup. I woke to the most intense pain I had ever felt. Looked at the clock it was 1am. The contractions just kept coming, very fast and very intense. Not like my other labour. I decided to have a shower and try to calm myself down. DH is fast asleep on the couch and thought I would leave him sleep and do what I had to do. While in the shower, the pain was getting worse and the shower wasn't doing much. Got out, rang the hospital and told them I was coming in and to have the epidural ready. Woke DH, poor thing had no time to react, just threw some clothes on, got the bags and left. It was Melbournes coldest night on record but I wouldn't have noticed! In the car, the pain was getting bad and I was starting to panic and this didn't feel at all like my last labour (my contractions were very irregular). DH and I were still arguing boys names as I was convinced I was having a boy!!! All I kept thinking was once I get to the hospital, get my epidural, pain will stop. Arrived at the hospital at 2.15am, could barely walk unaided by this stage. Immediately told midwife I wanted epidural. She told me to get into a gown and they would check things out.

Her words were "Oh sweetie, this baby will be here in half and hour, your 10 cms'! Well I just freaked out! I started to cry, hyperventilate and suddenly felt very nauseous! This could not be happening. I begged her to get him in but she said he wouldn't even make it in time. When Chelsea was born, I tried gas and it made me feel sick. This time however, it was a godsend!!! I gave that tube a workout. It certainly helped take the edge off but did nothing for the pain. She told me to close my eyes so I didn't feel dizzy and I didn't open them again until Marley was born!!!!

When they told me to push, I fought hard not too. I was so petrified, that I was holding back. She would have been born sooner if I just had of listened and pushed. My OB arrived and talked some sense into me (still with my eyes closed!!!), and finally I started to push. It was so hard and I kept crying, saying I couldn't do it. My DH was the best, he kept encouraging me and finally I felt the head out, then the most intense burning sensation and one more push and out she popped at 3.36 am!!!!! We didn't know the sex beforehand and DH and I had a bet of $20. Him girl, me boy. My eyes were still closed when I heard him say "a girl, oh my god, a girl, I win $20"! That's when I finally opened my eyes to see the most beautiful little baby staring at me with the same squinty eyes as I had!!!! The relief and elation I felt at that moment was indescribable. I couldn't believe I had delivered her with virtually no pain relief - goes to show the best laid plans sometimes don't happen. In saying all of this, I wouldn't have changed it for anything. In a way, I was glad I got to experience that side of child birth. Beautiful Marley Grace weighed 7lb 10oz. 50cm long. 36 head circum.

Midwife said some people can sleep through their contractions until they get so bad, it wakes them up. If we decide on No 3, I might not have that sleep and head straight to hospital LOL!!!

I am loving being a mum to my two beautiful girls.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Woohoo! Way to go on the birth of Marley! What a fantastic story!!! I might just have to tell Dennis that I would like to order a birth like that! LOL

Thanks Relle - his only request would be that you deliver in "normal" hours! He looked like he had just rolled out of bed, quickly brushed his hair but he still had on one of his nice shirts and casual pants. He is always such a casual, but smart dresser!!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

hehehehehehehehe That is a crack up!!!!!!! My boys were both born during business hours, so I never got to see him "rolled out of bed"! That is a classic! Yeah, he will have the plastic aprons on, but still the nice shirts! Actually I saw him very casual in hospital over easter!

Forgot to mention in my story that Marley was also born on her due date! Very freaky. I wonder if anyone else out there has had 2 babies born on their due date. If I have a third and he/she is born on their due date I might end up on Current Affair LOL!!!!!!

Congratulatiosn once again Mel.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I think it's fantastic to be able to sleep throught the better part of your labour. Far beat's having to walk around the blcok during it

Thanks Mel for sharing Marley's birth with us.

What a fantastic birth you had.

Congrats on the birth of your beautiful daughter Mel

I LOVE the name Marley!!

So inspirational!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that i too can have that sort of labour!!!! which i doubt

You crack me up - I can just see you saying "no, no, I'm not going to push" - LOL!!!

wow i wonder what the actual chances of having 2 born both on their EDD is!!
    Well done without the epi & thanks for sharing!

Well done! Glad you got your $20 too!
    My friend had both of hers on their due dates but that was like, 26 years ago...so you might be the only one since then!

Congrats on the arrival of marley - love the name!